Staff Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by SnowDaisy822, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Dec 10, 2006

So I want to make something simple for all of the staff members at my school. What are some simple, cute things I could make? This is my first year teaching so I've never done this before. haha. Thanks!

3. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 10, 2006

A small food gift would be nice. Maybe a few cookies or candies wrapped in a clear bag with a colorful ribbon. Or maybe you could make a larger tray and put it in the lounge with a nice sign inviting everyone to help themselves.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

I second the food. cookies or brownies sound good to me.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

Even a big pot of soup would be nice.

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Dec 10, 2006

I sometimes give a small bag of mini marshmellows with a little poem and it is called Snowman Poop. It is funny and cute. Sometimes I put a package of hot chocolate with it. I might do that this year actually! I better get on the ball!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 10, 2006

Can you share the poem? That would be perfect! It is snowy cold season and I just want something that says, I thought of you during this busy season. Nothing big. Love it!

FYI, the most thoughtful gifts I got last year were a card with a package of "hot hands" for all the aides becasue we go outside for recess in the snow and cold. The second gift was my teacher's daughter knitted me a scarf because I'm from "Texas" and need the extra protection. :) Neither cost much. Both were really thoughtful.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 10, 2006

Here is a whole POOP page for all of the holidays:rolleyes: :

http://www.kimstamps.com/poop.html

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

10. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 10, 2006

You're getting presents for the WHOLE STAFF? Is that industry standard, so to speak? I'm new in my building and don't want to look like a humbug!

11. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2006

We don't give gifts to the entire staff. We do have Secret Snata which is tons of fun.

12. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Dec 10, 2006

I think it's a nice gesture to leave a little something in the teachers lounge for all the teachers or better yet to give something to the ones who you are close to. However, they don't expect anything and in the past I've gone all out on gifts and now realize that just baking cookies or bread is enough. This year I'm a TA and $ is tight so I'm probably not giving anything to anyone at work.

Hope that helps!

13. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Dec 10, 2006

I teach in a very small school so it's doable. My mom always does for her whole staff that's about 4 times the size of mine. We only have 8 teachers about about 5 or 6 IA's. Since I'm new I want to get on their good side :)

14. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 10, 2006

I'm making reusable 'hot hands' for family members this year (and possibly for colleagues) because money is tight in full-time graduate school. I just used fleece scraps, white rice, the sewing machine, and some embroidery floss, and modeled them after Martha Stewart's. They've turned out cute so far, and they hold the heat pretty well.

15. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Dec 10, 2006

I thought about doing those! So you just use regular white rice? I never thought about using fleece. That'd be really nice and soft. I also read about putting the tea from tea bags into it to make it smell good too.

16. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 10, 2006

Yep, I'm just using regular white rice. I cut rectangles about 3 x 5 from a cream colored fleece I had left over (I cut LOTS). I used the machine to stitch around most of the edges, left a large enough gap to turn, and then used a funnel to fill most of the way with white rice. I used white thread to close the whole, and now I'm using jewel toned embroidery flosses to blanket stitch all the edges. The jewel tone with the off-white fleece looks pretty, and the blanket stitch hides the seams nicely. The tea would have been a good idea, but mine have all been sewn shut already!

Martha Stewart suggested using ceramic pie weights for stuffing in her magazine, but I chose rice because I'm poor! My sister is going to make an instruction card for how to microwave them, which I'll print on business card stock (that I already have laying around). We had the fleece, sewing machine, thread, and embroidery floss already, so all this project has cost is rice--thank goodness, as graduate school is not cheap!

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2006

I am getting my teammates a yankee small candle w/ a holder (about 2.50 for both) and a .99 notepad. Going to put it in a .25 bag from walmart.

Getting both of my mentors a larger yankee candle w/ a nicer notepad (about 5.00 for each of them) and my principal a muffin mix jar gift set with a nice set of notecards (she is always writing notes to people). The 3 women in the office are getting burt bees kits (got a good deal online).

I work in a super small school, and with it being my first year there I wanted to get them something.

18. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Dec 10, 2006

I am making cut-out, decorated sugar cookies. (actually spent most of today doing that!) For all of my team members ( 9 people including aids) I am going to give them a little bag of cookies and a CD of Christmas music. For the rest of the staff I am going to leave a tray of cookies in the staff lounge.

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 10, 2006

how about thumb-print cookies? only use a teaspoon to make the thumb prints :) Or let everyone know you used gloves :p