Staff Development Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ohteachr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

What do staff development days look like for you?

I'm a first year teacher and my school year begins next week with a week and a half of staff development days, and I'm just wondering what I should expect. I know my school may be different than yours and I'll probably know more after new teacher orientation, but I'm still curious!

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

Ours are very casual. Usually some planned PD, staff meetings, union meeting, grade level meetings, and time to work in classroom. We have 2 days. One day usually has lunch provided b/c kitchen staff have to report as well.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

Ours have fallen prey to the budget cut axe. New teachers have one day at the district office, I believe, and we returning teachers show up the day before school starts for a whole-staff meeting and then individual department meetings. Because two PD days were cut, my district no longer requires 12 hours of PD for the year. I think that's pretty sad - people moaned and complained about having to do it, but at least they had some opportunities for professional growth. Now we've been given permission to remain stagnant.

I love going to conferences, and will probably go to CATE on my own dime again this year. I'd love to get to NCTE, but it's in Philadelphia and would be pretty pricey. Maybe next year in Chicago, though...

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

As per my own experience, we sat through 8 meetings in three days and at the end barely had two official hours in our rooms to prepare for children today.

These meetings, while containing pertinent material, were repetitive, boring, and ironically, were the antithesis of the topics presented. They were colored with too much personal blather from the presenters in relation to the topics but had very little actual substance.

Except for one, which was "semi", "quasi" better than the rest. The presenter did much the same lecture, powerpoint blurb but she did a participant survey at the beginning and then jumped to the areas which were lacking in our surveys. Kudos to her and my respect as a student.

Our topics were internal "nuts and bolts" for three of the meetings. Then we had five different ones about Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, RTI/TST, Inclusion, and IDEA.

The rooms where we sat were often chilled to upper 60s low 70s so as to be uncomfortable. Or if not too cool, they were stuffy. That can't be helped but it does present a problem to prepare for. Bring a sleeved shirt, sweater, or something.

If it would not have too disrespectful in my thinking, I would have brought my sketchbook and my Art of War to read while we sat but I did the right thing even though my own learning styles were not addressed very well, leaving me to figure it out myself, again for the third year in a row.

Yes, we've had the exact same presentations done again and again at different times throughout the year over the last three years.

Okay, so now you are aware that, while sometimes things are wonderful, yes, things can be painfully dreadful.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

We started yesterday and are required to earn 60 PD hours per year for liscening.

Yesterday we met with the P for an all staff meeting, he welcomed everyone back, introducded new staff members. He went over basics of his expectations for the year and then discussed RTI until lunch.
    Yesterday afternoon we met with the District Math Co. and discussed our curriculum alingment.
    We met today, district wide in the HS cafeteria for breakfast and then moved to the HS auditorium. It was really nice, we had some high schoolers sing, administrivia was discussed. This afternoon it was curr. alingment for Language.
    My schedule is pretty much filled with some type of workshop to attend and we'll have some time here and there to work in our rooms. It's a great campus, we work really hard to make sure the newbies fit in quickly. If one of us fails it hurts the entire district.

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Ours were cut too. We have half say faculty meeting and one and half days to set up.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

We will have our meeting on the Monday before school starts.. Lower School will meet from 10:00 - noon; lunch is then served and we have time to socialize with the Upper School teachers who will be arriving for their meeting from 1:00 - 3:00. That's it.

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Between the first 4 workdays, we have 8 hours of required meetings, 5 hours of planning (including a lunch in there), and the rest is used for set up. We have workdays Tues., Aug. 18 through Mon., Aug. 24th. The kids come back on the 25th.

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

We have district-wide convocation/breakfast, seminars, seminars, more seminars, a retreat at the P's house (fun -- with grilled burgers & some work).

11. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

We just had three days worth of staff development days. We were in meetings in the AM and then the PM was ours to work in our rooms. We went over our district's new strategic plan, new math program (Excel), staff handbook, New Century Learners, DIBELS, and some other things.

12. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

We have 5 days - including:
    • two school sponsored breakfasts,
    • 1/2 hr. welcome back
    • 1/2 day team building/policy & procedures/school goals & data mtg., all at a local park, school provided lunch,
    • 1.5hr school In-service,
    • 1/2 hr. team/P meeting,
    • 1 hr. dept. mtg,
    • 1.5 hr. open school night,
    • 2 hr intro to new text book series at a county in-service,
    • 1.5 hr faculty meeting.
    All the rest is pretty much on our own.