Stability Balls for kids with ADHD (or other suggestions)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Mar 27, 2014.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Mar 27, 2014

Has anyone experienced any success with using stability balls as seating for a student with ADHD? I have a child in my class who is VERY unfocused, constantly walking around the room, and it's like pulling teeth to get the child to complete any work. :dizzy:

Also, any other suggestions for helping this kid focus? I teach 4th grade

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2014

I had a third grader like that last year with the stability ball. I HATED THAT THING MORE THAN WORDS CAN EXPRESS.

*cough* I mean... I'd probably try to find alternate arrangements in the future if I had a student with that severe of ADHD.

I find that allowing students to stand up sometimes help, or letting them put their work on a clipboard and finding a "safe place" to work.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2014

I have worked with teachers who used stability balls in their classrooms but stability balls are not for each student. You can give it a shot and see if the student is able to use it appropriately. You might also try body breaks (i.e. every 15 minutes, he does specific exercises or speed walks down the hall and then returns back to the classroom). Gum may help. You could also try putting velcro under his desk so he will have something to do with his hands. Resistance bands could also be tied on the front legs of his desk and he will be able to keep his feet busy.http://blog.maketaketeach.com/bouncy-bands-great-tool-for-your-students-who-need-to-move/#_

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2014

Different idea, at least for direct instruction times or times where the student has to listen - doing knitting with their hands (or something similar) is working for several of the students in our school...even the boys! No distraction and keeps them physically active enough to be able to focus on others.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

I read about a "magic seat" on here some time ago. It is a cushioned seat that requires the student to work at balancing on his chair. My GS is ADHD, and I got him one. It is not as obvious at the ball. What worked well was placing the bumpy half of a Velcro fastener on the sides of his desk. My GS was constantly fiddling with his fingers, so he loved the feel of the Velcro. He is now old enough to tell us what works for him. When he takes a test, any noise louder than the sound of breathing drives him crazy. He now wears his earphones during testing.

I found lots of ideas on this site, just do a search.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2014

I have used stability balls for several years. Many of my students have been very successful at reducing their "fidgityness". I love to use them.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 29, 2014

Little feely strips pasted inside the top or bottom of their desks. Use either side of a self-adhesive Velcro strip. Let the student pick which side feels best.