Stabbed in class

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Hnter, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Hnter

Hnter New Member

Apr 10, 2007

Hi! All, two weeks ago I caught a kid in my class cheating on a test.I promptly sent him to the principal.He obviously did not appreciate the fact that he was caught out ( it happened before).After the incident he did not return to school for a few days.In fact the day this happened he did not attend school,he arrived at a later time during the day.What happened next was totally unexpected,while i was writing on my c/board this kid walks unannounced into my class.My back facing him,he stabs me in my shoulder.I turned around with the intention to defend myself and he continued to stab me again in my chest before running out of the class and off the school premises.
    He was caught a few hours later and stated that he did not like the fact that i acted 'harshly' :eek: towards him by sending him to the principal.I had enough,I am leaving teaching after 15years in the profession.

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 10, 2007

I am so sorry and don't blame you for leaving teaching. I will pray for your healing (mental and physical as they both took a great toll).

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2007

Wow! That would scar me in more ways than one too. I think I would have made the same decision in your shoes. I hope you have a speedy recovery and maybe you should talk it through with someone because that would piss me off too long which is never a good thing.

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 10, 2007

I am so sorry to hear that has happened to you. I will keep you in my prayers. That sound so terrifying. I would have done the samething. I don't think I could handle staying either.

6. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

Wow! I hope criminal AND civil charges are pressed and that this kid spends much time behind bars. Someone who acts so violently because of his treatment while caught breaking the rules is not safe on the streets in society.

May you heal both physically and mentally, and I'm sorry to hear about the outcome this has with your career, but do understand and emphatize.

Edit: I just noticed your location is South Africa, so I'm not sure if they have the same Civil vs. Criminal Charges/Trials that we have here in the U.S.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 11, 2007

That sounds scary. I think I would have made much the same decision had I been in your shoes. I am sorry that you had to go through something like that. It is sad that young kids feel as though they have to resort to something like that in order to cope with their feelings.

I wish you a speedy recovery, both mentally and physically. Make sure that you talk to someone as I am sure this is very difficult to deal with. Best of luck to you...you are in my prayers and thoughts. :love:

8. msb

msb Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

I am so sorry! I don't know what else to say, but I hope you heal inside, as well as outside. I think I would leave teaching if that had happened to me. Please take care of yourself...

9. Docere

Docere Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

That is terrible! I hope that kid suffered some serious consequences and will get some good counseling or something to deal with his anger. I also hope more so that you will be okay. That must have been scary. I'm not sure how I would have reacted. I feel for you.

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 12, 2007

I used to work with emotionally disturbed kids who were sometimes violent. I got stabbed in the behind with a pencil. tha tis nothing like you went through. We were luckly because we had behavior staff that could calm these kids down.

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Apr 12, 2007

I am so sorry! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

12. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 21, 2007

Hnter

The parents should be lucky he's alive. I guarantee that in the United States if this "punk" pulled this stunt, he'd behind bars. If he tried this on the street, he'd be LUCKY if he ended up ALIVE. I know of a guy who defended himself against a small gang of hoodlums (underage) by kicking the gun out of one punk's hands, stabbed the girl with her own knife and trust me they deserved it. He was good at martial arts and he had the right to defend his life. He was found innocent by self-defense at the court hearing. I wish more people would stand up for people who have the right to defend themselves and stop blaming the person who is the real victim.

AspieTeacher

13. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

Apr 21, 2007

Oh, my goodness! That is awful!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't blame you for leaving the teaching profession after this - I'm thinking of leaving and nothing like this has even come close to happening to me.

This is my first year of teaching and I've never seen such disrespectful children in my life!! I wasn't raised that way and it just really bothers me - that's a pet peeve of mine is a disrespectful child.

While, I have some great students in my class - I have some really disrespectful ones as well.

Plus, I'm not sure that I want to put up with that kind of disrespect for the money - not sure its worth it!

14. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Apr 21, 2007

Your story is shocking and sad. I am so sorry. Teachers work hard and we do not deserve this. I hope you can heal from this. I think leaving is the right thing to do. I was robbed at a previous job once and I never spent another minute there. I have never regretted it. Time to start a new chapter.

15. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

May 4, 2007

So what is being done about the kid?? I hope they kicked him out and that someone is pursuing legal action. I dont care how old he is he deserves to be punished. I mean whats going to happen if he gets pulled over by the police one day attack them because they gave him a ticket! I wish you the best of luck!!!!

16. Miss

Miss Rookie

May 5, 2007

I hope you are okay ... If you are still lurking on this forum, I hope you'll post an update and let us know how you are doing!

17. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 18, 2007

Please give us an update- Also, how did the other students in the class react when this happened?

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 18, 2007

Hi Hnter,

so sorry to hear this. It is sad that schools need metal dectors to prevent things like this. I hope you were given sick pay and disability benefits you deserved. Perhaps you may consider going into the primary grades? Or social work to help more children like this one.

I am 5'2'' and have been in the middle of lunchroom and bus fights with 5th and 6th graders. I never wanted to work with larger, older children..because of situations like yours. Unfortunately, kids are getting bigger, more aggressive, and when dealing with preschool, and Head Start, I always find myself in low-income neighborhoods. But children with trouble pasts come in all colors and income brackets.

Take care.. It was good for you to tell us. We all need to be aware of our safety. Hopefully your administrators made efforts to prevent further problems.

Master Pre-K

19. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jun 6, 2007

I hope things get better for you...

I am in a school where there is police officers at break and all around on campus. We keep our doors locked at all times. Even when the students are in there with us. We can not leave the room and leave the students in the classroom alone we have to line them up and take them with us. We can not let them out of the room for any reason. I teach near a drug neighborhood. We have to be careful in everything that we do. I hope you will recover and I just wish this would not run You off from teaching recover and maybe teach at a different school or lower grade level. Dont let this get you down.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  20. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

Wow,

I can't believe that! That's terrible! Maybe instead of leaving teaching you could work with younger kids, so you won't have to give up your career. Hope you are okay!

I once worked at a school for children and teens who were taken out of the regular school system for behavior. Most of these kids lived in group homes. I had a student who kicked me in the stomach when I was pregnant. He didn't know that I was pregnant because I had one of those unusual 1st pregnancies where I barely showed. (People didn't ask me if I was pregnant until I was overdue.)

The second time that he assaulted me, he punched me in the mouth. I pressed charges and testified in Juvenile Court. I figured he wasn't going to get any better if I "swept it under the rug". I only hope that he did get the help he needed to control his anger. I'd hate to think that he's sitting in a prison in California somewhere.

Take care, Sheri