St. Pat's Day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Mar 15, 2008.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

I am not "educating" my students about St. Pat or the holiday. But because we are in a pre-K-thru grade 5 building, most of the classes are doing things.
    My students are all wearing green on Monday. Any other ideas or special games or activities we could do?

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 15, 2008

We are having green foods! I asked the parents to bring in green snacks. We will be having green jello, grapes, green cookies and some green veggies. They only get a small serving of each.

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

we are also having a green snack! basically the same as AMK.
    We did alot with Shamrocks because we are not allowed to call it St. Patrick's Day. I let them mix blue and yellow paint to make green and they used it to paint shamrocks.
    we did a dictation about what they would do if they caught a leprechaun.
    and we make shamrock shakes (Mint chip ice cream and milk)

5. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Mar 16, 2008

On Friday we mixed blue and yellow paint to fingerpaint shamrocks, wrote group stories about a leprechaun, and wrote some St. Patrick's day words. Tomorrow we are wearing green, sorting some fruit loops into rainbows, reading a St. Patrick's Day story and going on a leprechaun hunt.

When the kids get to the room there will be evidence that a leprechaun is in the building - chairs backwards, our writing upside down, the calendar mixed up! Two 3rd grade male teachers in our building are dressing up as leprechauns and we have plans to go on a hunt to find them and our gold. I'm probably as excited as the kids!

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2008

We did quite a few activities last week(art mainly.) An easy one is to take coffee filters and let the kids color them with green and yellow markers, then they spray them with a mist of water. They did this in the sensory table because I knew they would love saturating them with the sprayers! When dried, I put them on the bulletin board as a huge tree.
    I had the Leprechaun drop a few splatters of gold around the room and they went nuts when they saw it! Tomorrow we are having shamrock shakes and making hats.
    They also made little Irish flags last week; a good lesson with rectangle shapes and following directions, coloring them green, leave the center white and then orange, then attaching a straw so they could hold them. We found Ireland on the globe and talked about how it's surrounded by the ocean. I gave them little maps of Ireland to color green and glue onto blue paper, then labeled them Ireland and labeled the ocean.

7. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 16, 2008