St. Patricks Day ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Feb 20, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

What do you do for St. Patrick's Day?

We make Leprechaun hats and have the kids make Leprechaun traps.

I would like to hear any crafts, activities, center ideas and any other ideas you may have.

Thanks

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

Here are two of my favorite things to do for St. Patrick's Day:

The cooks make each child a small cup of vanilla pudding that they've added green food coloring to the bottom. We tell the kids a story about a leprechaun in the kitchen and the students stir their pudding and find that it magically turns green.

The other thing I love to do is spray paint some of our playground gravel with gold paint. I give each of my kids some gold and they glue it to a leprechaun picture with a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

We also make leprechaun ears and take pics of each child in them. You can also make shamrocks out of green hearts. You can also make shamrocks out of green pipe cleaners and the kids can attach it to a piece of string and wear it as a necklace.

Our retired principal use to run into the cafeteria when the Kdg. kids were in there and he acted frantic about seeing a leprechaun that jumped on his car while he was at the high school and it rode over on his car to the elementary, but when he got out, it was nowhere to be found. Then, the kids always thought they saw leprechauns everywhere. :)

Obviously we talk about the facts about St. Patrick's Day, too. :)

4. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

We do the pudding, but I use pistachio flavor instead. I tell them its vanilla and that we are going to add green food coloring. We discover that our green food coloring is "missing"-since the leprechaun has been coming in and moving things around all week we decide he is responsible for this as well. When we add milk, it amazingly turns green. We paint paper towel tubes gold and I put green plastic wrap on one end-put a rubber band around wrap to secure. Punch holes and tie yarn on the other so they can wear their "leprechaun finders" around their neck. I have them make the traps at home as well. Do you have a leprechaun shape for the ellioson cutter? I made up a little story about leprechaun shadows saying whoever finds one will have a good day. It is posted in my room. Then each child will find a "shadow" in their box, chair, etc. Also, I sprinkle glitter confetti around, which is leprechaun dust. They love finding the "dust" on their traps, etc.

5. msj

msj Companion

Feb 22, 2010

We do the internet project where we sort a box of Lucky Charms and then compare the results with other schools around the country.
    http://projectsbyjen.ning.com/

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 22, 2010

I'm signing up to do that, too! :)

Last year when the kids were at recess I trashed our classroom. They went nuts-it was so funny!

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 22, 2010

being in a Christian program we are not allowed to do leprechauns or pots of gold. I focus on rainbows and shamrocks, and the story of st. patrick. this year we are doing a couple of cool rainbow projects, we are making "stackable rainbows" with jello--making a pan of each color. then each child gets to layer the colors in the order of the rainbow in a clear plastic cup. We set it in the window sill briefly to look at it with the sun shining through it, then they get a squirt of whipped cream (for the cloud) and get to eat it! The other rainbow project is a painting project that is also a science experiment of color mixing. they get only red, yellow and blue paint. they paint a wide stripe of red, then a wide stripe of yellow, and they get some of the yellow in the red creating a strip of orange in between. then they do a strip of blue getting some in the yellow to make a stripe of green in between the yellow and blue, then another wide stripe of red getting some in the blue to get a strip of purple--voila--rainbow!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2010

Is there anything here you can use?

http://www.edhelper.com/st_patricks_day.htm

Much of it is subscription, but there are probably some good freebies.

In my class, it's a non-event. My only concession is that I'll use Irish names in the verbal problems I do. ("Siobhan has nickels, dimes and quarters....)

Of course, I DO make a LOT of Irish Soda bread, one loaf each for:
    -my school
    -Peter's school
    -the kids' elementary school faculty room
    (I would do Brian's middle school, but I know the embarassment would kill him.)
    - One of the single guys at Peter's school who loves my bread
    - ME!

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 25, 2010

We always do what I call "Magic Powder"--which is adding the white milk to the white pistachio pudding mix and it magically turns green. We also make Leprechaun bread. I give each child a slice of white bread, a blob of soft margarine, a plastic knife and green sugar. They spread the butter, sprinkle the sugar and then use the plastic knife to cut the bread into teeny-tiny pieces, just big enough for a leprechaun. Then they eat it. They LOVE this simple project! I stopped messing up the room years ago--it just isn't worth the chaos it causes. I do leave a trail of gold glitter (my custodian loves me) and some green coins from the Dollar Tree-which is fun.

10. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 27, 2010

What fun! I'm going to do this one.

We share the story of St. Patrick's life as well, and talk about Ireland (which is REEEALLLY different from Africa!).

The story, The Elves and the Shoemaker is a nice touch too. Of course, we talk about real vs. Make-believe stories.