St. Patrick's Day Art

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by PinkLily, Mar 12, 2007.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Mar 12, 2007

I am looking for a good art project to do this Friday for St. Patrick's Day. I would prefer an art project vs. a craft, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I teach 3rd grade and I don' t have much of a budget for art. Any suggestions?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2007

Well, I've seen this used in second grade classroom so it might work for 3rd. Might as well share just in case... Take a copy of a clover and have the kids drop marble and roll it around over the clover. I did this with my kinders and they came out really cute- got lots of great comments on them. I copied my master onto green construction paper and they rolled yellow, white and light green marbles. Then I had them write me a story about their clover. But, they are in third and may be too old for this?????

4. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

what about shamrock people? you can have them fold paper strips accordion style for arms and legs. our third grade did this and they are pretty cute!

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2007

Lay out a piece of waxed paper ... about 8x10 or so. Have them brush over this with liquid starch. Lay small squares of colorful tissue paper all over the top as a collage. Brush lightly again if needed so it is all slightly wet. Lay another piece of waxed paper over the top and press it down good all over. let it dry a couple of hours or so. Then cut it into a shamrock shape, attach a string to hang it up, and you will have a beautiful stained glass shamrock. This can be done with eggs at Easter,etc.

6. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Mar 14, 2007

Because of your suggestion, I tried this with my 1st graders. They loved it! I used white paper to have them paint on & they loved covering the whole thing to "make it green & colorful"

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2007

You can marble paint anything. It's fun and easy. I have marble painted with red, white and blue over the 4th...and you can use a cut out of a map of the world(white) or your state and use red, yellow and blue and it looks like hwys. Very pretty hanging up. Put a star where you live.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2007

I love the red, white, and blue idea. We are doing a red, white, and blue unit on our country.. that would be really fun for them to do!