ST in CA

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by TamiJ, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

Hello! I will be student teaching in the Fall, here in CA. I am very worried about being critiqued in front of professional teachers. Maybe I am weird. I currently work as a language arts tutor, so I have experience (some) teaching and handling behavior. Some times I work in other teacher's classrooms, and I get nervous because I feel like I am being critiqued and then I feel like I don't do a good job as a result. Does anyone here student teach in CA? Can you tell me what to expect? Will I have someone observing me all the time??? I am getting nervous. Please help me... :help::unsure::unsure::unsure:

3. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Apr 18, 2008

From what I've experienced in my program in CA, the amount you are observed while teaching depends on your mentor teacher, and if you have a flexible mentor teacher it will depend on what you want, too.

It is very normal to feel less comfortable teaching while being observed... just remember that you are learning and the person observing you is there to help you learn. They know you will not be perfect.

Good luck! :)

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2008

Are you currently student teaching, Kerfuffle?

5. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Apr 18, 2008

Yep.

6. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 19, 2008

I am student teaching right now. Honestly, I hate speaking in front of adults but it's something I realized that you need to get over. Student teaching has been the most valuable experience. I have to student teach for 14 weeks. My first experience was much more nerve wracking then my current one. Honestly, it was because I didnt know what to expect and because I feared being critiqued. However, I was with such a great teacher and she gave me the ability to realize that I am a good teacher. In both experiences, it took me a good two weeks to get comfortable. I am fortunate that I have had two great cooperating teachers and I hope you will have the same experience. Believe in yourself and trust me it will turn out ok:up:

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 16, 2008

What grades did you st??

Thanks for the encouraging words! :O)

8. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I won't start my student teaching until January, but I feel the same way. Just intimidating to be "watched" by someone else who is already in the field. Remembering that this is a positive and hugely valuable experience helps when I get worried or nervous about it.

Also, reading posts and hearing encouraging words from all the Teachers on A to Z is helpful. Knowing that Teachers want ST to succeed is the best part in getting through the observations.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

I feel like I am getting braver as August becomes closer. Still a bit nervous though.

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 13, 2008

I was petrified student teaching. My first placement was awesome. I crashed and burned on many occasions.

My special education assignment was nothing more than a rewarding nightmare in the begining. I grew a lot and this type of observation truly helped me and I am forever grateful! I had to forget they were there even though every time I looked at them they were still there!

Stephanie

Stephanie

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

I just want to get it done and over with because I know it is going to be uncomfortable. I mean, this past year I have been subbing and tutoring, and even had my own classroom and worked with tons of kids, so I have experience. It's just the actualy idea of being watched that scares me to death! :O0

12. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

I student taught in TN, but I felt the same way you did.
    My advisor told me that they do not expect us to be perfect. This is a learning experience. Ask questions whenever you feel you need to. My advisor also only came four times to evaluate me. One of my cooperating teachers left the room when I taught, trying to give me complete control. Some teachers will ask if you want them to do this. Also, just be yourself. Know that this is practice for you, and no one is expecting you to be the number one teacher. It will get easier as you go.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

Thanks Crayoncaper. I am hoping that this will be the case for myself. I just hate being the "hot" seat, and I know that as a teacher, you pretty much always are, but it is different when you have that extra element of being watched. I am just hoping that everything goes ok. I know some teachers, so hopefully I will be placed with someone that I already know and feel comfortable with. That would be awesome!

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

Remember, too, that your CT may feel just as nervous being observed by you!