ST eval

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Oct 22, 2014.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I have a student teacher who will end her placement in my class and then move on to a sped placement next week. She has been a godsend during these first weeks of back to school, setting expectations, early assessments, freeing utimorese for me to get so many beginning of year obligations fulfilled. She has executed both her lesson plans and mine (on sub days) with a smile, patience and competence.

I now am tasked with completing an eval on her time in my classroom. The rating scae is 1-4. Compared to the other student teachers I've had, she is the best...but I'm not sure giving her all 4s is appropriate. Im not sure a seasoned teacher woukd rate a 4 on all the benchmarks...I want to recognize her strengths but I don't wnt her to view a 3 as a negative rating...there are plenty of benchmarks on the eval, so I will give her a 4 on many...do I give her 4s as a ST that might be 3s as a contracted teacher? We all have areas in which we can improve...

Help me get over my hesitancy with this...this is why I could never be admin....

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

With my student teaching, we were pretty much told "Nobody will get all fives. If you get one or two fives from your cooperating teacher and university supervisor, with the rest being fours and a few being threes, you are good. Don't freak out."

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I think it's perfectly normal and expected that no student teacher gets all 4s. You can probably give her 4s and 3s, just make sure you explain to her what all that means. In our eval 4s meant innovative, and I know that although I did a good job student teaching, and went above and beyond in teaching,planning, persevering and in enthusiasm (and everyone thought so) I don't think I was innovative. There was still plenty for me to learn.
    If your eval system is similar to our own, then 4 and 3 is passing, and 1 and 2 is not, but it's actually ok to have some 2s as long as the 4s balance it out.

I really don't think any student teacher got it to a point where they would get all 4s, unless they have been teaching for 5+ years (private school, etc).

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I'm sure my ST got the same talk...she's really good though.I'm not looking to soften the blow...I'm looking for advice on how highly to rate her.... I'm kind of looking for feedback and insight from others with CT experience.

In my experience of hosting STs, she's in my top two. Compared to a contracted teacher though, she wouldn't get all 4 s...

Do I rate her as a ST or as a colleague would be rated (and I teach with top of their game professionals...)

I know some CTs feel obligated for a variety of reasons :rolleyes: to over inflate feedback, write letters of rec, pass STs who aren't "up to snuff," but I truly feel this is a really viable, competitive ST. and my recommendation is worth a lot in my area. ( just sayin'':eek:)

I'm leaning toward mostly 4 s...

6. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Oct 22, 2014

I think a student teacher is used to having many evaluations prior to their practice where they don't get all perfect scores. I would think a teacher who is insulted from not getting a perfect score on everything is a bit egotistical and arrogant. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had 5 sets of papers filled out over the last two semesters and I'm not even in practice yet. I only got all perfect scores on one.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2014

Could you ask the university supervisor about what their usual practice is, or at least what they talk to their students about as what to expect?

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

On my evaluation last year (first year at my school) I got a needs improvement on classroom management. And on the paper it said that it is standard for the teacher to be put on an improvement plan if at least one area has needs improvement.
    I totally got it. My classroom management wasn't perfect, I had many issues in the beginning of the year, I made many mistakes and continuously kept learning from it. I thought it was fair.

My P was worried that I would freak out that I'm on an improvement plan, but I told her I read the fine print, so I wasn't freaking out. She was glad, because she didn't want to imply that I should worry. She also wrote on the form that with my enthusiasm for improving and always seeking out advice she is confident that by the second eval. I will have all satisfactories.

I thought it was all perfectly fair. I did need improvement in my classroom management. It's all about the explanation.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 22, 2014

I would rate her as a student teacher. If she is so exceptional as a student teacher, of which you have had many, and you need to ask advice about this......well she must be something special as a student teacher.....give her the glory on the evaluation.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

This is how I'm leaning. Thanks.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

I would rate her as a ST. Give her a glowing review and since your recommendation is worth a lot in your area then people will know she's REALLY good to earn those scores from you.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I think you should rate her on what she earned regardless of what the common practice is. If you thought she was exceptional then her ratings should be exceptional.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

I think you should rate with your gut instinct. We all have room to improve, but a top rating doesn't mean perfect to me. It means I'm doing great and going above and beyond, but there's still room to do even better.

14. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Does the university provide a rubric? All of the universities and colleges here provide a rubric for the evaluation that classroom teachers complete for student teachers. If your ST has a rubric you should follow that and rate her accordingly. The rubrics that are provided to teacher her are very similar to the rubric that the state uses on a 1-5 scale. But they are wriiten to reflect a that the ST is learning to be a teacher. So it's not all or nothing. If no rubric is avalaible rate her as a ST because that,s what she is. She should not be rated as a professional teacher until the she is one.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I would rate her compared to other ST or year one teachers.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

Personally what I would do is give her exactly what she deserves with at least 1 "3" so she knows where she can improve. If she really deserves all "4's" and one "3" then that is what I would give her. I would try to keep it this simple.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2014

I don't think those evals count for much of anything in most states as long as you are rated proficient. I don't see any harm in erring on the high side for that reason. If you were debating between proficient and not-quite then it might be a bigger issue. Since you're debating proficient and better-than I don't think it will be an issue.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2014

Although I've never been a CT (cooperating teacher aka master teacher), I have had 4 terms (which equals 4 different CTs) when I was student teaching for my 2 credentials PLUS 4 terms (3 pediatric age levels & 1 adult), which are another set of 4 supervisors when I was interning for my MS in communicative disorders.

So at the mid-term point, of course everyone knows not to expect the scores to be too high because there has to be some improvement to show. At that final eval point, I've always gotten mostly all the highest scores, but there always a few of the next # down. No one gets all perfect scores unless they were superb, superb & even then, there's usually one or two next lower # scores. I don't think sups like to give all perfect & I wouldn't really expect it because the term may be over, but no one's perfect.

If there were 20 categories to give scores, if your ST was that good, I'd expect that the person would still get a couple of 3's somewhere.

19. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 23, 2014

This is slightly veering from your original question, but perhaps you could also give her a letter of recommendation?

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2014

Undoubtedly.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 24, 2014

As long as you give her a glowing letter of rec, I don't think she'll mind what you put on the eval. (within reason)

22. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

i agree with others--dont think about what it "common practice". if she deserves all 4s, give her all 4s. I think the same thing should be applied to teachers--if my lesson was out of this world, why cant you recognize that? i does not mean i will slack off--it means i will try harder to make all lessons just like that one.

I am happy to hear you have an outstanding ST!!

23. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

I vote with rating her as a student teacher, not a seasoned one.

Glad she was a godsend! It sounds like she deserves all your praise!

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

I would give her the top scores. If I think about a student, I'm grading them on how well they've mastered math as a fifth grader. Sure, there's lots they don't know, but they haven't been taught it yet. I would think the same of student teaching-she hasn't had the experience yet, but she's great at what is being asked of her now. ;)

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

I definitely cared and still care! I know many are happy with a skilled rating but I always want to know what I could've done differently to but that accomplished. I know it's unlikely to be accomplished in every category, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist!

26. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I received evaluations from both my CTs. The first one I scored mostly "2's" and a 3 (on a 3-point scale), meaning I had met the standards, with thorough comments for each detailing strengths, weaknesses, and evidence of what I had done to meet the standard, plus suggestions of how to improve. It was a very complimentary evaluation, but it was also clear that I was a new teacher with specific ways to improve. The second one was almost entirely "3's" with strengths only... no weaknesses, no suggestions.

Long story short, only the first one actually did anything to improve me as a teacher, and it was also the first one that I included more prominently in my portfolio.

So... take that for what it's worth.

27. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 24, 2014

For me personally, student teaching was a waste of time and a joke(I preferred it this way). I was lucky, however, to have worked in a grade level with someone who I would consider one of the greatest lesson design teachers I have ever seen.

In fact I have never seen anyone even approach her on lesson design quality and philosphy.

She was the one, when asked about state testing would reply, "If I am making the kids stretch their thinking everyday, they will easily be able to navigate a low level multiple choice test."

I think I would literally be a mediocre-poor teacher without having worked with her.

28. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 25, 2014

I'm with you there. I just meant that if she placed a 3 on one or two areas, I don't think it would kill the ST or make her devastated as long as it was explained why.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2014

I :love: this mindset! Thanks!

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 25, 2014

If the tool is meant to evaluation a student teacher and she did great, she deserves great scores. If the tool is meant to evaluate a seasoned teacher ... then 4s wouldn't make sense.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2014

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2014

I agree that if you are evaluating her as a ST, then it´s just fine to give her the top scores. :)