SSD inclusion of ADHD student

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by futureteach24, Sep 1, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 1, 2013

I teach high school. One of my students, whom failed this class last year, is causing a lot of disturbance and chaos in my class. His IEP says he has ADHD. However, it lists no behavior modifications for him. The only modifications are academic (they're extreme modifications e.g. reading tests and instructions to him). I've contacted his SSD teacher but no response. He picks on other kids, has loud random outbursts, will not stay in his seat. It's chaos when he is present. I've tried talking to him to the side, in the hall, after class. I've tried encouraging him. I also stick close to him so I can give him individualized attention on his work. I've tried switching his seat. Any suggestions? Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

Document each instance of his misbehavior, something simple just to collect data and include anything that you did to try to correct his behavior. Do this for 2-3 weeks and then present this data to his special education teacher with the recommendation of putting a BIP into place for this student.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

I'm concerned this kid's behavior is affecting others' learning...documenting for two or three weeks while others are being disturbed by outbursts and being picked on is unacceptable. Ask someone from child study to come observe and give you suggestions this week. If they don't respond, write him up.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

In a perfect world, someone else would be able to document this behavior. I know my district relies heavily on data before putting a child on a behavior modification plan, and one or two days of documentation might not be enough for them.

6. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Sep 1, 2013

I wold request a staffing through either the SPED department or your admin.

7. stepka

stepka Comrade

Sep 3, 2013

First of all, for those mods, you are not expected to read the test--you are expected to send him to SSD--either the case manager or the testing center if you have one in your school. If you do have a testing center, call ahead and make sure someone will be available to read to him and if not, he'll need to go to his case manager.

You say you've contacted his SSD teacher--do you mean his case manager? Try try again--things are crazy at this time of the year b/c most of the IEP meetings are in the fall but you need a response and yours may have been overlooked. If you still get no relief, you can try contacting the lead teacher in that dept--one of them is put in charge of things like this--you're not getting this person in trouble but you're making sure you're the squeaky wheel.

BTW, few others in the US knows what SSD is--I believe StL is the last holdout on having a separate SD for sped. I used to work there.