SS Thru 6+ Years Private School Experience ELA Authorization Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ellieb, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Ellieb

Ellieb New Member

Feb 26, 2020

Hello!
    So I've just sent in for my credential (single subject, music) via the pathway of 6+ years private school teaching. I'm confused as to what EL authorization that would include. As it is illegal to teach in public school without EL authorization, and the teaching experience is accepted in lieu of a teacher preparation course, then logic follows that it should include the same authorizations as any other preliminary single subject credential, no?

I've signed up for my CTEL and should I not pass that then I know I can have the district apply to get me an emergency CLAD permit which would provide me with an additional year in which to pass in its entirety.

If any one has BTDT in my situation and knows the answer that'd be great. The CTC isn't even providing me with any clear information and I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 26, 2020

I got my Preliminary Credential through Private School Experience and so I am well versed with the entire process.

The CLAD/EL Authorization is embedded in the credential as you had to take a course in teaching English to ELL students (Criterion 5 at the top of page 3) in order to meet all of the criteria for applying, which can be found here: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl834.pdf?sfvrsn=f8d618aa_8

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 26, 2020

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 26, 2020

Word of caution: If you did not complete the EL course before applying, then your application WILL be rejected.

I am glad that the CTC answered my question because a course I took I thought satisfied the requirement, but it did not and so I had to finish the course linked above before I could apply.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  6. Ellieb

Ellieb New Member

Feb 26, 2020

I did take a course through UCSD extension which satisfied thus requirement:
    5. Complete a course in Developing English Language Skills, including Reading, that is research-based and includes the study of phonemic awareness, spelling patterns, early intervention techniques, ongoing diagnostic techniques, and a strong literature, language, and comprehension component (Submit a copy of the course description for evaluation purposes.)
    So will that result in the ELAS authorization? I still need to take CTEL to qualify for the CLAD prior to clearing my credential.
    Such a maze of things to complete, and I've done the whole thing independently!
    Thanks!

7. Ellieb

Ellieb New Member

Feb 26, 2020

additionally, how easy was it to find a public school position after so many years in private? Thanks!

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 27, 2020

Well, I stayed at the same private school because the pay is really good, lol!

I cleared my preliminary credential and can teach at public schools any time. I just choose not to because there is a financial incentive for me to stay where I am.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 27, 2020

The ELAS comes with the issuance of the Preliminary AND Clear credentials. As I said, it is embedded within.

I did NOT have to take the CTEL to qualify for the CLAD prior to clearing my credential — I got a Single Subject credential in Math.