SRA Imagine It reading series

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SouthernTeach, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 5, 2008

My county has just adopted the SRA Imagine It! series for Reading and it seems to be getting very mixed reviews from the teachers. Has anyone used this series and what did you think of it?

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I don't use the SRA Imagine It! Series but I do use Reading Mastery Plus by SRA. It is a scripted and Direct Instruction program. If you'd like to know my opinion or have any questions about it just say the word and I'll write more. :)

4. nc3teacher

nc3teacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Our county adopted “Imagine It” last year. Really, just updated from Open Court. I was a first year teacher, and given that, I loved it because things were so planned out and scripted for me. Made planning much easier! I guess it works, but I wish I had more time in my schedule for reading workshop instead of or in addition to. I made it work for my class by modifying much of what we needed. Some weeks, it only took 2 days for the kids to read the stories, others we really needed 4 days to grasp everything that they were reading. Like so much of teaching, I feel like you’ve just got to make the best of what’s around. It’ll work for you if you give it a chance. I promise!

5. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Zoerba,
    I would love to hear more..... I am hearing a lot of grumbling from teachers...... I have not really had a chance to look at it enough to decide what I think about it. I know it is scripted, and I have heard we seem to be catering to the children who are behind.

6. mbteacher

mbteacher New Member

Oct 9, 2010

I know this has been a long time since you posted, but I was wondering if you recieved any information about the program. We have adopted it, and I HATE it! Just wondering.....
    Thanks,
    James

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2010

We have used it for a few years. The consensus is that there is too much material to be covered in a standard reading block and the workbooks are too difficult. However, the stories, although long, are interesting and there are lots of resources to use, including online games and activities. I like the fact that I can go online and access everything so I don't have to drag home heavy TE's. I would give it a grade of 80.