SRA Corrective Reading Program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2013

Anyone have any tips, info, website links, etc. to kind of give me a "crash course" on doing this program? I'll have to start working with several high school kids on the red & purple levels soon & I have no experience with this program. I've been told to start everyone on lesson 1. Thanks. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

Is this part of your SLP duties? Or is this a different kind of job this year?

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2013

I'm still mainly an SLP. This is something additional I have to do 2 days a week with 8 of the kids.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2013

Thanks, I was also planning to look up videos about it.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 19, 2013

Yes, it is highly scripted. I think it takes the Direct Instruction approach, but it's been 10 years since I've looked at or used it.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2013

Based on my experience with the program (taught it for about 10 years), it works best when used every day for about 45 minutes. There is a pretest that should be completed before instruction begins, so you can place them at the appropriate level. The company suggests that you can't teach it to fidelity without the training...I don't really agree. If you study the teacher guides, it should give you a good head start. The website doesn't give enough info to really teach you how to do the program.
    Good luck!

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 19, 2013

I taught this program last year and am currently teaching. I'm not sure what you mean by red and purple though. Is this for decoding or comprehension? I teach the comprehension part. It's ok and I do it because I'm assigned to do it. Is it my favorite? Not really.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2013

Thanks guys! I'm doing both decoding & comp. They want me to start out with lesson 1 for everyone. This is for 7 kids. On day 1 of school, they just kind of told me to do it (knowing I'm unfamiliar with it.)

11. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

I went for training for this program and we were supposed to be using it this year with our kids as an intervention program, but thankfully we switched over to Read 180 last minute.Don't get me wrong, it gets results. Our self-contained teacher swears by it and her kids last year were reading better than some of mine by the end of the year. It's just as mentioned before, highly scripted and VERY repetitive. I feel like for my kids who are a little higher functioning would find it kind of boring.

One thing they do tell you to do in the training for classroom management and to engage students is to set up a Teacher vs Student chart. When a student gives you a correct answer or is showing attentiveness they get a point. If they are off task and not paying attention you get a point. You are supposed to manipulate the points so that it is close, but they usually win.

Our self-contained teacher uses chips and hands those out to her kids every time they answer a question correctly. At the end of the lesson they can trade their chips in for a piece of candy or save them towards a trip to the prize box.

12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 23, 2013

And who pays for the prizes?

13. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

She does. They aren't anything crazy. Stickers, pencils, erasers. Little things she can pick up from the dollar store.