squirt guns at preschool?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by skyone, Feb 4, 2010.

1. skyone

skyone Rookie

Feb 4, 2010

I am curious if any other preschool has considered or done this. We celebrate cowboy/cowgirl days and was wondering if any school has used squirt guns to paint with.

Personally, I don't like the idea as our policy states no toy guns at school and we have enough problems with kids getting hurt just pretending to play swords, guns, etc. I have worked very hard in my classroom to discourage the use of weapons in play. I think a lot of parents would be upset ( I would be if my son attended this school) but our director seems to think it is a great idea. ( I have expressed my concerns already but whatever the director wants to do is done.) :eek:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

I think it's a fun idea, but wouln't be allowed at any school I've worked at, because even toy guns are considered weapons.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 4, 2010

Nope, wouldn't be allowed, and although fun at home it wouldn't be fun in my room @ school. Nope.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010

How about spray bottles?

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2010

I think its a great idea and frankly am tired of being so PC when it comes to things like this. How can children learn to play appropriately with such things if we refuse to teach them how. A squirt gun is a TOY NOT a weapon. I think it is silly to get panties in a bundle over it. Look at the age and activity this is for. I would not be upset if my child was in that class and this was an activity. They want to use them to paint with, not to have a shootout at the OK Corral!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 4, 2010

I used non-gun shaped water squirters from Dollar Tree for a project with my 7th graders. They were fish-shaped.

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 4, 2010

Bad idea. Not because it is a toy gun but because paint could end up other places such as across the room or splash/spray back in the child's face if the stream of liquid is forceful. Fun with water but not worth the risk with paint.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 4, 2010

Now that we have done......and we have even said it is because we can't have squirt guns to the kids. They worked great, and the kids understood. That is fun.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 4, 2010

I don't think its at all PC to not allow toy guns at school. Yes, they're toys, but they are models of weapons. I wouldn't have toy swords out on the playground. Fine at home-not at school.

11. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Feb 4, 2010

We do lots of messy painting activities. A lot of times the paint doesn't go where you intend it to go. We never let the prospect of a mess stop us from having a good time.

You should see the paint splatters on my classroom ceiling from the times we paint with fly swatters. Good times and big messes.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 4, 2010

I love fly swatter paint!

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 5, 2010

It is a sad statement about the times when we have to ban toys at school. When I was a kid--very long ago--we played cowboys and Indians all the time. I can't think of one friend who has grown up to use a gun in a bad way.

But, with the present situations in today's society, toy guns are not permitted at school. Gosh, when I went to high school, a lot of kids kept their rifles in a rack inside their pick ups.

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 5, 2010

not at my school--- no cops and robbers, swords or anythng that depicts violence--they get enough of that in real life and on tv these days

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 5, 2010

blue.......I agree. But still no squirt guns here. But I do agree.

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 5, 2010

Blue-- I agree that it's a sad state of affairs we are living in, but unfortunately it's the way it is, When I was a little kid, my brother, who is 12 years older than me, and his friends not only went to high school with their rifles and shot guns in racks in their trucks to go hunting after school, but often kept them in their lockers!

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 5, 2010

I should add that not one of them grew up to be a criminal, however a couple did grow up to be fish and game officers and police chiefs!

18. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Feb 8, 2010

Cowboys and Indians? Haha, I teach on an Indian reservation, so that definately wouldn't fly!

Developmentally, it's been said that kids have a hard time distinguishing model guns from real guns. In movies, someone is shot, killed... and then that actor appears in another movie. Toy guns are used for painting and tag games and all sorts of fun... but are preschoolers developmentally ready to compare and contrast toy from real guns? If you live somewhere similar to where I live, where most families do have several guns and kids are likely to come across a real gun at some point... do we really want to blur the line of safe and accptable gun use? Yes, BLUE, it's sad, but it's the world our kids are in. I am not anti-gun. I am anti-give-your-kids-irresponsible-ideas-about-guns.

I think the fish-shaped squirt guns is a wonderful idea!

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2010

Well, if it is against your policy for kids to bring them in, then as a teacher, I wouldn't bring them in, either. You said you work hard to discourage weapons play...the kids will feel as if toy guns (and perhaps gun play) is ok, since the teacher uses them, too. KWIM?