Squirrel

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Oct 20, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2011

Ah, the joys of a homeowner. This is a first for me. We have a squirrel in our basement. We don't know how it got there. BF tried to chase it out and that hasn't worked. We put a trap out with PB crackers and so far that hasn't worked either.

We have a wedding this weekend so we will be away saturday morning til sunday afternoon. BF doesn't want to go away with the squirrel here and wants to call someone to get it out.

So I am just wondering from anyone who has experienced this - How much are they going to charge? Are they really going to do anything other than leaving traps which we have already done? And what kind of damage can it do if we are gone for 24 hours?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2011

I'm not sure how much it will cost or anything. One option could be to call your local animal control office and ask if they have any humane traps. They might give you one and let you use it for free. They might even come pick it up and release the little guy in a more appropriate area for you. Around here it's an option at least, so I don't see why it wouldn't be an option where you are.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2011

Yikes! Well, better a squirrel than something else...

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2011

About a week ago we had a squirrel in our living room -- DW was down there watching TV at 3 in the morning and it started running around. It really wanted to get out, so once we turned on the lights and opened the back sliding door, it jumped out.

We once had a raccoon in our garage, that was more difficult because it was in the rafters and wouldn't leave. A leaf blower convinced it to leave, but also scared the -- well, you know -- out of it. Literally.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2011

Shew. We got it out. I feel better about leaving for a couple days with it out.

We did buy two humane traps with PB crackers, but he wasn't interested in food, i guess.

We went down and BF poked into the insulation where he had last seen him for awhile and it seemed like he was gone, but just as we were going to give up, we heard him in there, so BF kept poking at him and lifting the insulation away until he came out. He ran about halfway down a pipe towards a door but then tried to go up in the insulation again, but BF poked at him again and he ran down to the floor. He started to run up towards me by the stairs (eek) but then realized the door was open and ran out. I was such a chicken. lol.

We left the traps down there in case another one snuck in with it, but I think we are ok.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 20, 2011

Glad it's gone!

We had a squirrel that got trapped on our porch over the summer. It chewed a hole in the screen to get to the bird food, and then couldn't find the way back out. We tried leaving the doors open, but that didn't work.

Removal was a scene straight out of Christmas Vacation. It was basically THIS, only in summer. Removal included me, DH, two huge dogs, my BFF, her two kids, a broom, and a softball bat. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2011

lol. When I posted it on facebook, my mom's response was "Where is cousin Eddie? He eats those **** things."

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 20, 2011

A girlfriend came home from work the other day to find her mastif chasing her cat which was chasing a squirrel. Her neighbor came over when he realized that the dog was going crazy. They got it out.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2011

We had a squirrel in our basement and left the basement door open, thought it had gone out. I awoke in the morning to find it sitting so pretty on our dining room table. I opened the door and it went outside. I was sure it was going to attack me and had a sheet in front of me!!!

11. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Oct 21, 2011

My crosseyed pug- Molly eats any squirrel that gets in our yard!!!! I will rent her out!! LOL

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 21, 2011

I had a friend post on facebook that her dog had caught a squirrel and was running around the backyard with it! The squirrel was still alive.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2011

Squirrels are just rats with fluffy tails and good PR.

I'm constantly at war with suicide terrorist squirrels when I ride my bike. On bike trails, these "Al Qaida" squirrels want nothing more than to jump into the spokes of an oncoming cyclist and give their little flea infested lives in the name of sending them flying over the handlebars. They believe that "muskrat love" with 76 squirrel virgins awaits them if they can only get Sarge "the Great Satan" to plant his face in the pavement and take a ride in an ambulance.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 21, 2011

You need to get someone to video that. You could win ten thousand dollars with that clip.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2011

No squirrels for me, but no one prepared me for giant toads taking a swim in my pool. Called a friend, she said we did NOT want the pool cleaner sucking him up (or trying to... he was as big as my head...)

Spent over half an hour chasing him with the pool net. We had concrete guys out that day pouring our new patio, and they were laughing hysterically the whole time. Come on, they could have helped instead of laughing!

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2011

I almost borrowed my neighbor's dog - It had run over to greet me as I was putting the trash cans in the garage, and I was thinking of letting it in and seeing if she could find it. But then I figured she would just scare it further into hiding. Oh well, it's out now.