Spring Units

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherSandra, Mar 23, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

Well; now that Spring has sprung...what Spring units do you have in mind?

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 23, 2009

wind, rain, mud, plants, frogs, 5 senses, signs of spring, week of the young child, and fun anad games review

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

Life cycles (plants, baby animals), signs of spring (flowers, weather)

5. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Spring, Easter, Plants & Flowers, and Insects and Spiders

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Blowing in the Wind, Roots and Shoots, Just add Water, Zoo Clues, 6 legs or 8, Baa Baa Moo Moo. I don't have my curriculum schedule but I have more themes.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 24, 2009

We don't do the theme idea the same as some of you. We are emergent. Today we discussed "What do you know about Spring" and "What do you wish you knew-or What do you wonder about-Spring"? These answers then will help us to design our project and direction. The answers they gave are still very much relating to baby animals (eggs, ducks, chicks, lady bugs and caterpillars) and even more so to eggs. Then the runner up was weather (how does it stay warm in spring?) and the final set was relating to plants.

So it appears we will be discussing baby animals (eggs, farms, bugs) and weather and plants.

I am very excited for the new topics.

Kase maybe you can share some of your ideas from the Baa Baa Moo Moo theme with me?

I love spring.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

Wa, you are using a very repected manner of planning your curiculum. What type of program are you in? Emergent is the way my Head Start program required teaching.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 24, 2009

We are a small, private mixed age program functioning under the 'family home' rules-but really even licensing says we are not really all that much like a family home anymore. We used to be-now we are a small, mixed age program. We feed seemlessly into our local school-who is greatful to have us in the area. We also have 2 private (one catholic and one would be charter if we had such a thing in our state) schools we feed into. Everyone is pleased. We are able to keep siblings after they head to school, and we are also able to help children with challenges before and after school to help them adjust and work on social skills. I have a BA in psych/human development and we have just found our niche. We are still in a family home (technically-but in practice not so much) so that we can continue to serve the group in a mixed age setting.

We are different-and cool. I love it.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 25, 2009

I forgot to say thanks, thank you for your respect.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2009

I love Spring too and am looking forward to the units; we started our Bug unit; the kids are thrilled...who doesn't love bugs? :p

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 25, 2009

What are you doing for the bug unit?

We built a wormary today. Want to know a secret---I kill the worms every year!! What do I do wrong. I can raise tadpoles and bunnies and other things - but never the worms? Go figure!:dizzy:

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2009

WaProvider; I had to reread what you said about killing worms; :lol:I pictured you with a stick killing worms. :lol:

I start off my unit with a large poster that I got from Scholastic many years ago..."What is an Insect" is the title. I then read books about Bugs, Insects, etc...And then I show off my insect models and dead bugs (I have 3!). I surprise the kids by telling them that they can bring bugs to class; so we're gearing up for that for Show & Tell soon.
    Right now; we're starting to do some art activities with pictures of bugs...add hand prints for butterflies; add thumbprints for ladybugs, etc..
    Hope that helps some.

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 25, 2009

:spitwater: NOT LIKE THAT. On accident I promise. No, not like that!!!!

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2009

:)I know...I just read it all wrong; so sorry; it made me chuckle.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 26, 2009

I love the idea of show and tell. Do you graph what they bring? or classify them or anything?

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2009

No, I've not done graphing with this unit; but I love the idea!

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 28, 2009

We have ladybugs in the little world in the middle of one of our tables. The children love the lesson. They freely drew and labeled life cycles in a circle. Love them!

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 29, 2009

WA-- do you use the worm bedding material you can get at Walmart etc. My daughter used to rise night crawlers in an old freezer every dummer for fishing and we put some soil in it and then a batch of the worm bedding. We bought worm food (got that at Walmart too--it's a podery substance that you sprinkle on top of the soil and wehnit's all gone you add more. Youahve to keep the soil moist but not wet.

20. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 29, 2009

No, I never knew worm bedding existed. I just did that sand, soil, sand, soil layers and fed them oatmeal a couple times and sprayed w/ sprayer to moisten. Hmmmm, walmart you say? Where would you find this magic dirt inside that giant store?

21. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 29, 2009

In the worm aisle of course! :) Just kidding -I had no idea the stuff existed either - but we're going to Wally World tonight - so I just might have to take a look! Would be fun to have a wormary with my class later this spring! :)

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 29, 2009

Apparently the worm aisle also holds the worm food? How knew? Sounds like there is a whole market for this stuff. I never knew!!

23. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 29, 2009

I forgot to look for the worm aisle while we were there tonight - I'll try to remember next time I'm at Wally World! :)

24. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 30, 2009

Ha, someday someone else is going to read this thread and laugh.:lol:

Hope we find it soon.

25. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

The worm bedding and worm food is usually around the sporting goods sections by the fishing poles etc. I'm not sure if all walmarts carry it --I just Know that our local one does-- you might have to ask at the sporting goods counter if they have it

26. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

One summer my daughter and I had 100 dozen, yep 100 dozen night crawlers in our worm bin-- we would go out at night when the dew started to fall and pick them up --- if you shine a flashlight across the ground it willreflect off them (glisten)-- youhave to be fast and you can't leave the light on them too long or they will go right back under the ground if they are jsut coming up--- this is the best time of year to get them too- before the grass starts getting very long---

27. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

Guess that is why the Robins' are so busy now!!

28. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

Right after Spring Break I did a "Ww" letter focus where we talked about weather and worms (I also took the opportunity to get started on whales and walrus so that I could start my new ocean unit). I read "Diary of a Worm" to the kids. They love that book (and so do I). On Friday, I let them hold some night crawlers and used the experience to talk about "Earth friendly" activities. I finally found a way to work reduce, reuse and recycle into a "real lesson plan". :)

We made a worm farm. I used the website http://www.redwormcomposting.com/getting-started/
    that I got from someone on Facebook. So far so good, but I think I'll check out the "worm aisle" at WM today. Since this is my first time, I don't want to take any chances.... :blush:

29. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 5, 2009

I am so waiting for someone to find that stuff at walmart.

30. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Apr 6, 2009

I looked near the garden center the other night, but no luck. thanks for the heads up sarzacsmom - i'll check near sporting goods next time we're at good ol' wally world!

can you imagine hearing "Clean up needed in the worm aisle".....

31. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 6, 2009

EEEWWWW