Spring ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by tina007, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

I started my spring unit this week and I'm looking for some new ideas and stories. With Easter falling so late this year I've got some extra days to fill in . I make a large garden in the hallway that we fill with things as we read stories. Tomorrow is My Grandmothers Garden and we do roses. Then it's Ms. Bumblebee and that adds zinnias and bumble bees. I need a butterfly story for sure and some other ideas. Thanks.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

Hi Tina...I am in Wis. and it is too early for gardens and flowers, but I did do some spring flowers today with the kids. We are big on "Robins" in Wis. because they have recently returned from their migration. Could you do something with birds? We make handprint robins. Budding trees are pretty. Depending on your kid's ability, they can make the tree or you can pre cut some or draw some. The kids use Q tips to paint spring buds and blossoms, or crumpled up pastel tissue paper, or even just green for the leaves.

4. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

How do you make handprint robins? I don't have any birds in the garden at all.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2006

It's hard to explain, but I will try. Paint most of the child's hand and fingers brown and the lower part of the palm orange or red for the belly. Make a print on white paper.Then they dip their forefinger in yellow paint and print a beak. Next, dip their forefinger in black to make an eye and put a tiny spot of white in the center of the black. Use the forefinger to paint legs. Let them dry. Then YOU take a black marker and outline the picture into the best bird shape you can make! They are not perfect of course and that is why they are so great! Add a stick on the bottom for the bird to sit on(a very tiny stick)

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 20, 2006

How about making ***** willows? Cut vases from wallpaper, or construction paper, glue pipecleaners from the base of the vase up, or I have used twigs, gluing with craft glue. Cut ends of qtips from sticks and dip in gray paint. Glue to twigs. If you don't want to use qtips have the students roll a small piece of cotton ball and glue.

7. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Mar 20, 2006

I'm about to embark on my Spring unit too. I was actually coming here to post a new thread about this, but I see that this thread has already been started; so I'll post my question here. I want to discuss spring weather in my spring unit. Sun, rain, wind, etc. I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for sun. I'm going to come to our circle time wearing a sun hat and sun glasses with a picture of the sun, and explain to the kiddos that the sun is "awake" longer in the spring, and that's one of the reasons why it's warmer. We'll have a discussion about fun things to do when it's sunny. We'll sing
    "You are my sunshine", and they will make a sun puppet. What else could I have them do at center time? I'm thinking maybe a fine or gross motor activity would be good, but I am really stumped here! Any suggestions? Also, anyone have any other ideas that I could incorporate in to my spring theme? Things that have to do with weather, birds, butterfly's, etc. I've already got the flower area covered. Thanks a lot of any ideas!

8. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

How about making butterflies from coffee filters or handprints. We also make flowers from cupcake holders.

9. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 20, 2006

I'm working on my Spring unit too, here are some ideas:
    Books:
    The very hungry caterpillar, Charlie the caterpillar, Are you a butterfly?, Good night sweet butterflies, Inch by inch, caterpillar dance, Caterpillars bugs & butterflies, from tadpole to frog, jump frog jump.

Projects:
    Each child puts a seed and a wet papertowel in a ziplock bag and hang in the window. Can plant after it sprouts.

Handprint flowers - paint childs hand one bright color, make print (we are going to do them on the windows) use finger dipped into green to make stem and leaves.

Coffee filter flowers - color a coffee filter with markers, spray with water (colors will run) after dry use a pipecleaner as a stem and bunch filter.

Butterfly & chrysalis - children cut out and decorate their own butterfly, glue to craft stick. Use a toilet roll as a chrysalis.

I'm doing gardening/flowers & Insects in May. I need a bulletin board idea for between now and then. April is going to be a couple weeks of spring/Easter and a couple weeks of circus theme. I don't want to put anything up with flowers or Insects, cause I'll be doing that in May. I was thinking maybe a reading bulletin board with some of our favorite books on it. Like maybe "hop into a good book", the kids could all make frogs and we could somehow put book titles around...I just don't know. Any good ideas out there????

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2006

The first day of spring is the Spring Equinox - equal hours of sunlight and darkness on that day.

11. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

I think a cute idea for a bulletin board would be to put a pond with fish that have a book title on it. Have something fishing. This could be a child, frog, bunny, anything to do with spring. The title could be "Fishing for a Good Book". I like this idea, I may try it myself.

12. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Mar 20, 2006

I have also started my spring unit this week. Here are some things we are doing.

*Discussing parts of a plant (draw and label)
    *growing bean seeds in see through plastic cups so students can see the roots (each student will plant their own)
    *discussing how plants use their stems to drink (using celery/ carnations and colored water.)
    *reading various spring poems, and stories:
    Waiting for Wings (Ehlert), The Tiny Seed (Carle), Planting a Rainbow (Ehlert)(we will plant various plants and vegetables in our outdoor nature center), The Sunflower House (we will plant sunflowers in our outdoor nature center) (Bunting), Whose Garden is it? Very Hungry Caterpillar, Etc.
    Learning about insects (we have ordered butterflies and ladybugs)
    *If you have access to UnitedStreaming.com they have some great videos about plants for the lower grades.
    *For a fun snack one day we will make bird's nests: rice crispy treat, peeps, and cadburys mini eggs (the colorful, milk chocolate ones) Students form the rice crispy treat into a nest shape, then they add the "eggs" and the "bird". We usually do a writing activity with this. Students write about how they made the nest and describe what they see.

13. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006

A few years ago my class made an indoor garden. Yes we actually planted a real garden in the room. The students got to decide what they wanted to plant - flowers or veggies. My class chose veggies. Then they got to choose what veggies they wanted to plant. It was pretty basic corn, watermelon, beans, pumpkins, and gourds. Here is the kicker, I live in Ohio and we did this activity in April so we planted it in our room and in a big RubberMaid container. After we planted it we started talking about our plants unit and what plants needed to grow. My students learned the parts of a plant and watched our indoor garden grow (it grew really big). They loved it. They made markers to show what the different plants were and we did lots of science and math with our garden (examples: How many of our veggies had sprouted? Which plant was the biggest? Why did they think that it was the biggest?) Since they have not done this in a while I think we might do it again this year. It was a lot of fun. The best thing was that at the end of the school year we had enough starts and they were big enough for someone to actually put them in the ground and have a garden.

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2006

I'm in the same boat as Grammy. We can't start our Easter stuff here until at least April. We still have snow on the ground, and it's coming down as I speak STILL...UGH :(!

15. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 22, 2006

Well our weather turned cold again this week, low's in the 30's,but we started it anyway. I've got about 4 weeks of things that we'll do and need all that time to get it all in. Does anyone have a bunny idea that's not really an Easter idea?

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Make any shape, Eggs, bunnies, butterflies, etc.

How can a bunny idea not be an Easter idea at Easter time?!
    Anyway, here is what we did today for a beautiful bunny idea. Brush over waxed paper with liquid starch. Lay squares of pastel colored tissue paper all over it. Paint over another piece of waxed paper and lay it on top. Press down. Let it dry. Lay a bunny stencil on it and trace it. Cut it out. Hang in your windows. They are stunning!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2006

Read gigi's post- I'm cracking up at the word that was starred out!!

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

I saw that! I had to laugh myself! Who in the world would come on here and use it in THAT way????!!!!

19. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 23, 2006

I love the bunny with the liquid starch idea. They love to paint and I like that it's not necessarily done as the Easter Bunny. Any bunny could be in our garden.

I saw a cute butterfly at another school that I think I'll borrow. She took two butterflies cut from white paper and used the marble and paint technique. She then laid them on top of each other, bent up the top wings, and glued the bodies together. I just need to find the right pattern now!

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

If it is a religious school they may not want anything having to do with the Easter bunny or anything pagan. ???

21. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 23, 2006

Ahhh... But bunnies are a part of spring. Especially if you live around my area. I expect to start seeing babies pretty soon.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

Yes, bunnies are ok anytime...they are real animals and part of nature in the spring. Marble painting bunnies is fun and maybe add cotton tails to them. The tissue paper/liquid starch ones are just stunning.

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2006

Right. That's kind of what I'm trying to say. Some religious schools may not want the specific Easter bunny being a part of their curriculum, but you could definitly add the whole bunny theme into it, like their fur, their skeletal structure, etc. Make it more a life science part then Easter bunny-like.

I don't even know if this is the case with Tina's school, but it crossed my mind when she mentioned it that it could perhaps be that kind of situation. I personally do the whole Easter bunny thing in our home and in my preschool.

24. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2006

Had this planned for next week! I loved the idea when I saw it. I'm using puffed wheat cereal as the willows.

25. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2006

I'm a little late for this... but I plan to have them make potato heads in a few weeks- core out the potato and fill with cotton puff and grass seed.

26. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 24, 2006

No my school isn't religious, but I have had students in the past who didn't celebrate certain holidays. I've just worked around it in my lessons, so the majority aren't related to holidays. I do more spring things now and cut Easter back to just a few days. Our school allows Easter Parties, but I call mine Egg-stravaganza day and it's evolved into a science lesson about eggs instead of just a party.