Spring Cleaning

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 13, 2013

I'm spending my Saturday cleaning out my storage building. It's been quit the catch-all space, so I is a mess. It even still has some of the original owner's stuff in there, an I've lived here since 2000. :eek:

I've divided stuff into stacks of throw away, give away, and keep. My mom is coming over to take a load to Goodwill for me. I posted a couple of things on Facebook for free, and people are coming to pick them up.

Interesting finds of the day:
    • nest of baby mice
    • two mummified mice
    • 48 star flag
    • 1800's Bible in Spanish
    • a snakeskin :eek:
    • about 50 blank cassette tapes :confused:

So . . . how are you spending your Saturday?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2013

You've had some interesting finds. I wonder if there is any value of the flag or bible.

It's been a pretty normal Saturday: vegging in the morning & I just got back from the grocery store. Trying to get motivated to cut up the fruits I bought. It's so quiet in the house right now that I'm not motivated. I'm the only one home, everyone else is a work.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2013

Neat findings!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 13, 2013

Doing grad school homework & work from work...but I always take the time to take breaks in between & even go out for a bit to get some fresh air!

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Apr 13, 2013

Lowe's and Walmart run this morning. Cleaned out the flowerbeds to get ready for plants in a couple of weeks. Tonight order pizza and watch the race. Loving the sunshine...and on Spring Break!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 13, 2013

Ran some errands, cleaned the house and am currently updating my cover letter and resume. Some girlfriends will be here in 1/2 an hour for supper.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2013

Please say you kept the bible and flag.:cool:

Thought about the Yankees game but tix available weren't good...we'll go on another day when it's warmer...

Slept late, errands, time in yard with dh...cocktails and fire in the chiminea...

Daffodils are blooming, buds on Japanese cherry...lovely evening.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 13, 2013

Yes, I kept a bunch of books, the flag, and some Coca-Cola stuff. I now have two 48 star flags. I have the one that was on my great grandfather's coffin. I also found some enamelware and a piece of milk glass.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 14, 2013

The baby mice would have freaked me out a little bit! :eek:

We did my garage last weekend-unfortunately they will only pick up our heavy trash once every 2 months, so I couldn't actually throw away most of what I wanted to yet. I can actually walk in my garage now though.

I found a bunch of cassette tapes too-mine were mixes I made. I was tempted to get the device that can transfer them on the computer-but ended up just tossing them. I also found the class pic from my first class ever! That was my big "treasure"! ;)

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2013

Would you believe it's raining/ice pellets, and snowing? It's April for crying out loud! Been cleaning and going to venture out later. It's a no make up day and I'll wear a hat so I don't have to comb my hair!

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 14, 2013

I started cleaning up the playroom and sorted a pile of my kids books, some we will give to daycare and I put all the Christmas books with the decorations so we can get them out next year. Found a few of our favorite bedtime books on the bottom if the pile. I did a major clean for Easter so it is mostly regular stuff for me this weekend. I need to clean my closet and dresser but I will have to wait for DH to not be sleeping in there to deal with that.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2013

I spent some time yesterday packing up my winter clothes (at least the heaviest sweaters--they're talking temperatures back in the 50s next week again) and getting completely caught up on laundry. I tend to let my socks pile up in the hamper because I really don't like pairing them up and putting them away...

Those were the last of the big 'spring cleaning' projects I wanted to tackle--the spare room and the desk/paperwork were tackled over the past couple weeks. Today I just need to vacuum and dust. :)

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2013

I've been sick (again!), so I'm spending most of the weekend in bed. I was intending to do a little spring cleaning of my own, since the in-laws are coming for a visit in about two weeks. I guess the cleaning will have to wait until I'm up for it.

We are having a landscaper come and give us an estimate on a redo of the backyard. I've got a number in my head and I hope that his quote is less than that number. One of my friends recently had her whole backyard redone, and she paid about twice what we're thinking of spending. :eek: To be fair, she had a lot of stuff to haul out of her backyard (weeds, rocks, etc.), whereas ours is pretty bare except for a few stumps that need to be removed. Fingers crossed!

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 14, 2013

It's finally starting to feel like spring here, so I am off for a walk in the sunshine. When I get back I'll do my cooking for the week and some laundry.

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 14, 2013

It's snowing and blowing here so it's hard to think spring. DH and I rearranged DDs playroom and not she has a shelving unit to put her toys on. That required that we move some things around in her bedroom where the shelf came from so we did that. We made a big pot of rice for this week, sliced veggies and made salads (those salad in a jar things? LOVE!). Now I am folding 5 loads of laundry since we washed everything (rugs, dog blankets, DDs baby clothes). Later we are going to a friend's house for dinner.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2013

Feel better, Caesar!

Seasonal closet overhaul is a big job! I live in an 80 year old house! Charming, but tiny closets!

Made bags for goodwill this week...dh made 3, I filled 2...good feeling!

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2013

Update on our landscaping stuff:

The guy never showed up to give us an estimate! When we called and texted him to see what was up, he never answered or responded. So rude. This guy is a small business owner. I feel like small business owners should be more responsible when it comes to getting new clients. Guess I'll be looking for a new landscaper....

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2013

:rolleyes:
    Annoying.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 14, 2013

It took me several YEARS to get someone to grade my yard. People wouldn't show up at all, or they'd give an estimate and then never return calls or fail to show up.

Finally got someone to do it last spring. He did most of it, then he was in a bad car accident. Doesn't work now. Found new guy. He finished that work. Tried to call him to do bother job, and he's changed his phone number.

I guess most people don't need to work as much as I do. Who runs a business with an unlisted number?

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 26, 2015

It's now 2015

I just cleared my closet out a pretty good amount. I'm taking the clothing back to my parents' house! But I'm sure I'll refill my closet w/ some new stuff. :)

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

Whenever I come across blank tapes I think of that New Jersey Medium...I caught something that she is always looking for them & she uses hem as like a timer for her sessions. Lol.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 26, 2015

Ugg, I don't even want to think about spring cleaning! I know I should tackle my closets and dresser. I KNOW I can get rid of a ton of stuff I don't need. I will have to just set one day aside to do it and then I can enjoy the rest of my spring break without the whole "spring cleaning" thing hanging over my head :lol:

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

Spring break and spring cleaning are coming! Now if only spring will do the same! Winter is holding on....

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2015

Cza... No Doubt.. it was COLD here today!!! The wind was awful!!!

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

It was close to 90 today. I am envious of all the chilly weather in other places. :(

We are tackling spring cleaning and packing at the same time. Hoping to get a new house soon!

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2015

You can have the "chilly" -5F temps we're expecting tomorrow morning! Good luck with a new house!

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2015

We had 13 this morning...right now a balmy 25!!! Hey at least the sun is shining... LOL!!! :D

29. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

It's snowing here... again...

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 28, 2015

It was snowing here this morning. Make. It. Stop!!!!

31. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

It's supposed to hit 97 today. We got about four weeks of cool weather, and now we're getting ready for a super hot summer. I hate it.

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

We were at 90 degrees yesterday! I'm not ready for the heat just yet!