Spring Break?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Apr 8, 2011.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Apr 8, 2011

Do you still have one at your school?

They are trying to take ours away next year...all in the hopes of raising test scores...

3. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Apr 8, 2011

Wow, there has been no talk about this at all. I do not think it would fly here at all, but who knows. I truly hope you get to keep your spring break!

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

What??? I think my kids would riot, or cry, or both if that happened. I can't imagine trying to push through clear from December to June.

5. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Apr 8, 2011

One thing that raises test scores is rest. Another is experiences outside of school.

Why don't policy makers and school administrators understand these things??

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2011

peachacid~because they didn't have to take all these tests so they don't understand.

I think a lot of staff and students would strike if they took spring break away. It just wouldn't fly here.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2011

We have 3 days before and 1 day after Easter, but they are also used for snow days. Last year they took 2 from us and this year 1. I guess this is typical for this area, as my BF looked at my like I was crazy when I mentioned a week long spring break. But I hate not having it. I NEED IT at this time. Especially when Easter is this late - we still have a full week and a half week - I can't take it anymore!!!! lol

8. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 8, 2011

Spring break for me K-12 was usually the entire week leading up to easter, or the week after easter. Spring Break was never touched. We'd get the Friday before memorial day removed if we went over the snow day limit, then have days added onto the end of the school year.

9. atomic

atomic Companion

Apr 8, 2011

We are being told by admins that we are one of the few districts in NJ to still have a spring break.

I'm so sick of them just pulling these comments and "stats" out of their butts...

I have serious doubts that we are one of the last with a break...

I proposed doubling the break to TWO weeks in December and TWO weeks for easter to my colleages. They thought I was crazy until I explained the students lose(forget...get an excuse to forget...whatever happens) the most over SUMMER BREAK.

Our Superintendant just got the BOE to approve his raises next year to be tied to increases in student performance...of course while we remain payfrozen and step frozen...

What a joke this profession has become...

10. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 8, 2011

As far as I know, most schools in Monmouth County still have a spring break.

11. RyanS

RyanS Rookie

Apr 8, 2011

That would never fly in our district. I highly doubt it would raise test scores either.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 8, 2011

How late is the NJ state test? We wrapped up the PSSAs this week and Spring Break isn't for another week still. If the concern really is the test then just push the break until after testing is done. Next year they'll take the math and reading before the break and the science and writing after it. Easter is so late this year that we fit in all 4 parts before the break.

And I can add that I think most teachers and students at my school right now are quite ready for the break. Maybe a full week isn't necessary, but definitely a five day weekend. Everyone's brain needs some time to just chill out.

I say go on the websites of the districts in your county and surrounding counties and look up the school calendar and see if what he's saying is really true.

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2011

I think I would riot! :lol::lol::lol:

We also mad Mid-winter break in February, so it wouldn't be straight through...but still!

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2011

In NY, the state test are the 1st week in May...so they come back after having a week and a half off, go to school for 3 days and then take a 3 day state test.

15. atomic

atomic Companion

Apr 8, 2011

ThAts the same schedule for us.

They keep taking away all the little reasons I started teaching.

First to go was the teacher support. Next we lost the ability to teach the way we know works. They're molesting the subject I love. I chose to teach math, not science, not test taking. I liked working alone with my students, now there's way too much team building. Every other week is a stupid half day for teacher inservice or focus teams or some other bull.

Then pay freezes, paying for health care, no spring break, talk of pension cuts, tenure rules gone????

Come on...if wanted this stress I would have gotten a job in business.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2011

Hmmm I'm part of a 7 district consortium in NJ...we are ALL on spring break next week. Add in my town district plus the 3 others in their consortium...plus at least half dozen others in Bergen County . you are not 'one of the few'...you are being lied to...do your research.

17. atomic

atomic Companion

Apr 8, 2011

They said almost ALL of north jersey gave up their spring breaks. I knew it was a bunch of malarky.

It's stuff like this that makes me not trust anything I'm told by admin.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2011

I'm in Bergen county...I know of no district that gave up spring break.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 8, 2011

I go to Kean in Union. Almost everyone in my education classes who are in the field or subbing right now, the schools they are at at going on spring break soon (Kean primarily places people in schools like Elizabeth, Rahway, Newark, West Orange, Perth Amboy, Holmdel, etc.)

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2011

I still have my spring break wk EVERY yr & there's been no talk of eliminating it. At another district I worked at in 2006-07, the spring break was 2 wks long.

21. atomic

atomic Companion

Apr 9, 2011

Ok...has anyone EVER heard of a school district with no spring break? Even one?

This is nuts.

22. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 9, 2011

Nope. Even when we had the blizzard in 96, I still had spring break (I was in first grade during that blizzard).

23. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

My school doesn't have a spring break...granted we have 4 day work weeks, with professional development every other friday. Next year though we are going to a full 180 day year with 5 days a week, a fall and spring break.

24. atomic

atomic Companion

Apr 15, 2011

They passed the calendar with no spring break. Added a bunch of Jewish holidays. If they get the contract the way they want it and add 4 days to our work year, we will be getting out later next year than this year.

25. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Apr 15, 2011

There is a spring break at my school; It is a week long.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 15, 2011

Spring Break starts after today's school day and lasts for a week. I cannot imagine losing it without a huge kerfuffle.