Spring Break in DC

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SunnyGal, Feb 28, 2010.

1. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 28, 2010

DH and I are heading up to Washington, DC over my spring break at the end of March. He's been before, but I never have. Any suggestions on things we must do? We'll do the museums and monuments, but whats else do you reccommend? I know the Cherry Blossoms will be out by then, so I'm excited to see them!:)

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2010

Go to Baltimore and the Inner Harbour on the Chesapeake. Shopping,food,an aquarium, and a boat ride.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

Several years ago, we took a family vacation to DC. It's really a very busy time during Spring Break. There are LOTS of people in the city at that time!! The trick is to have your schedule all set for the day, get up early, and be at the head of the lines!

I don't know where your hotel is, but we were right across from the Watergate. Learn the Metro system! It get very crowded during rush hours, but will save you a lot wear and tear on your feet!

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

We are heading there, too. I have never been but my hubby has. I have no idea what we are going to do except I want to go to the zoo.

6. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

I love going to Washington D.C.!

My top three choices:

Smithsonian Air & Space Museum National Mall
    Smithsonian Air & Space Museum Steven Udvar Center
    Arlington National Cemetery

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

When we went there, my husband's cousin worked for the Secret Service. He gave us a personal guided tour of the White House!!! We got to stand at the door of the Oval Office! We have a picture of our son standing at the podium in the press room (the one with the blue curtain behind it). Also, we took a short tour of the Executive Office Building next door.

On our first day, we got up very early and went to see the Vietnam Memorial - before all the crowds got there. That was very moving.

Other two favorites - the guided tour at the Arlington Cemetery and the guided tour at the Kennedy Center.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2010

We are planning a trip to D.C. during the summer. Any advice on the best time to go?

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2010

I've never been to DC, but I'd like to! I'd want to go to as many of the Smithsonian museums as I can plus shopping & eating great food!

Have fun & tk lots of pics!

10. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Mar 1, 2010

Thanks for the tips! Our hotel is a couple blocks from the metro, so we're really thrilled about not having to worry about driving! :)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2010

The metro is incredibly easy to navigate!!! Just watch the closing times at night; you don't want to be caught enjoying the monuments by moonlight, to find that the trains have stopped running.

No matter how much time you've devoted to the Smithsonian, know that it won't be enough.

And if you DO have the time to spare, I second the side trip to Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 1, 2010

I went in July and it was HOT! I just about keeled over.

I never got to see the zoo but my family went and said it was great. Arlington Cemetary is definitely a must see too. There's also some sort of boat trip you can take. I didn't go on it but I remember seeing it. I can't remember where it was since it was probably about 8 years ago but I know I was upset about missing it!

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2010

Definitely the zoo

any Smithsonian museums you can but I especially like the Archives

I took students to the Holocaust Museum last year. Great museum, but I thought it was too crowded to really get a lot out of it. I would say walk by and if there is no line and no buses outside, go in. You need to be able to really think and reflect in that museum, and I thought they let too many people in at a time.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2010

I'm going to be one of those that says the Vietnam Wall. I was still in HS when I went...it was very moving, especially when my mom found a friend in the "book".

The other was Ford's Theatre. I love history & I was thought this place was pretty moving as well!!!

15. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Mar 1, 2010

I live near DC... end of March is the perfect time to visit weather wise (it will be crowded though.)
    I enjoy the Museum of Natural History and the Museum of American History (I think the Air and Space museums are boring...no offense to anyone!) We take our kids to the natural history museum for one of our field trips.
    The metro isn't very complicated, you can print out a map before you go if you need to.
    I love the zoo, it's very hilly though so be sure to wear good walking shoes.

16. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

Me too!

We are going there too!!! First week April!!!!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2010

I went there once and left in tears.

I think it was less the memorial itself, than the sight of all those Vietnam Vets there at the same time, crying as they ran their fingers over the name of a buddy.

I'm not good at stuff like that. It still haunts me, years later. I remember wearing my POW bracelet during Vietnam, and finding out that "my" POW had died.

It's one reason why I'll never go to Ground Zero, and why I'll never visit a Concentration Camp (should I ever be fortunate enough to visit Germany.) I know the history, I appreciate the gravity. But the images keep me awake at night.

18. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

I was just there this weekend! My absolute favorite is the Star Spangled Banner at the Museum of American History.

If you go to the zoo (it's great!), check the Zoo's website as to which metro station to use. We use one to get there and a different one when we leave, so we are walking downhill both ways.

I also like some of the neighborhoods around D.C., like Georgetown - they have some great restaurants and pubs.

The Lincoln Memorial is awe inspiring. The statue of Abraham Lincoln is so much larger in life. Standing on the steps, looking out at the reflecting pool is amazing, especially when you think of all the life changing speaches that have been made at that very place.

Have fun!

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2010

I have been several times to visit the Vietnam wall. My twin brother's name is on it and I am always in awe of the respect that is shown by the people visiting it.
    I love the zoo. Another place that is fun to visit is the national mint.
    I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. When I lived there (just out of college) I would spend one day off each week visiting a different museum or fun spot. I was there for two years and felt I never did see everything!