Spring 2014 Student Teaching - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by otterpop, Nov 20, 2013.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 20, 2013

Hi, anyone else out there going to be student teaching in the spring?

I'm in an online program and so don't really have anyone else to talk about the process with. :blush:

It's been such a long process, getting placed. I had to have my application for Spring 2014 in by September 1, then had to review it, then formally get accepted, and now am waiting on receiving my placement. The university told us they needed our applications so far ahead of time because schools wanted more advanced notice than they had been receiving when the due date was later - so it is tough to still be waiting on receiving my teaching placement information!

So, I am just curious to know how this kind of experience is working out for others. I am really excited to see where I will be placed! I hope I find out soon. Mostly, I just want to get it done so I can be done with my program.

3. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Nov 22, 2013

I student teach in January!!!! I am so anxious and excited, but with my program at school I know I will be prepared.

I got lucky and got placed in a school 15 minutes from my house, teaching social studies 6th-8th grade.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 18, 2013

((bump))

That's nice! My school still hasn't placed me... I'm getting nervous because time is running out, but I have contacted them and they said they're still working on it. It seems like the schools would want as much advanced notice as possible.

How long is your assignment? Mine is 4 months (15 weeks minimum), which seems like a long time to me. I'm really excited for it but also will be glad to be done with the program.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 18, 2013

I went to a UNC school, also online, and I was placed a few days before school started--which stunk because I needed to give my employer notice, and couldn't.

Anyways, I student taught 6th grade social studies last fall--it's FANTASTIC. By far the best curriculum out there. Social studies does open up fairly regularly in my area and when something does, I am putting in a transfer.

Good luck!

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 18, 2013

It's good to know other people got late notice too! :) Makes me feel better.

7. eowensteach

eowensteach Rookie

Dec 19, 2013

Student teaching

I'm student teaching in the spring, I'm so excited!!

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 19, 2013

Hi Eowensteach! :D What kind of placement did you get for your assignment?

9. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Dec 20, 2013

Mine is 15 weeks as well, I start January 6th and go till atleast April 23.

Going to be a fun semester!!!!

10. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Dec 20, 2013

I feel I got very lucky with my placements. Awesome co-ops, a great learning experience and nice kids. I learned a ton and worked hard. Good luck to all those student teaching soon!

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Still waiting! I'm supposed to start in about a week and a half. I wish they would tell me already!

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 4, 2014

Oh no! Do you have any friends who are still waiting to be placed? They really should have you placed by the end of next week. Crossing fingers for you :)

13. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014

I am going to be student-teaching this semester as well from January 21-May 9. I am going to be teaching 9th and 11th grade social studies at my old high school with one of my former teachers. I am extremely excited but a little nervous also.

14. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014

Hello! I just saw this. I just started my program last week. I already have my Bachelors in History and going to get my permanent teaching credential. Right now the State of FL issued me a temporary one for grades 5-9 and 6-12. I received an email from my instructor what district I would like complete my hours in. I am really excited! I have experience in Higher Education. Just transiting to primary education. Not the traditional route though! Good luck to everyone!!!:)

15. soul_sista88

soul_sista88 New Member

Jan 14, 2014

I start at the end of Jan.! I am so excited. I have not received my placement yet, but we start student teaching training today.