**Spring 2009 Student Teachers!**

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Sunny Teacher, Jan 2, 2009.

1. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 6, 2009

BTW...

I am a nontraditional student. I went back and read over some of the previous threads and thought I would contribute to that conversation. I'm 33 and I have two beautiful daughters. We live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

2. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 6, 2009

I love Pittsburgh! Just thought I would share :)

3. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I find out tomorrow about my student teaching assignment! I'm so excited!

4. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I am so glad I am not the oldest out there. :hugs:

5. sally20

sally20 New Member

Jan 6, 2009

hi

I am a student teacher and I am so TIRED!!! It is going well, but I do not feel like a teacher, I am an actor. I feel less like I belong in the school than the students. I was homeless before college, I was also in mental programs for potentially psychotic youth. I was later diagnosed with high functioning autism, which was a relief after that because it does not sound so bad. I went through college on scholarship and now people would not recognize me and do not know who I am. I am student teaching in a private Catholic school, I am neither Catholic nor someone who would ever have been in a private school myself. I dress the part by dressing more formally than the other teachers and I act the part. Therefore, I am not yet ready to be a teacher. Instead I am a character actor.

There is a student in one of my classes who has Asperger's syndrome. My cooperating teacher whispered this to me as if it were a great secret. Then she added, "but she does well." In my mind I think "well, of course she does." But I did not say anything. For some reason I had already known this, the first time I saw the student, although I do not know why.

I am the same age as the other student teachers from my University, I am only 22, but I feel old. I feel like the first 18 years of my life were a different life. This is a new life, I feel sometimes like it was stolen, but I hope to earn the right to it by doing well.

6. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

Today was day #2. I am also TIRED!! Definitely going to bed early tonight! I got to jump in and teach a little math. My CT seems amazing! She's so welcoming. Today was an early release day so after the kids left we went to a meeting. I'm starting to feel like a teacher!

7. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Jan 7, 2009

I wish I could be student teaching this semester. I still have 2 more semesters before that happens. I'm doing the second placement in a special ed setting this semester and I'm excited because I have heard nothing but good news about the school I'm going to be at and the teachers there. Good luck to you guys!

8. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 7, 2009

Not so sure you'd like it today in Pittsburgh...BRRRRRRR...cold....

9. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 7, 2009

Curtukgrl...are you from Currituck County in NC? My sister lives in Moyock...just curious.

10. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

Yeah raised there. Now I live in Pasquotank County, just can't shake the nickname. Who is your sister? Might now her? My parents still live in Currituck, Moyock to be exact.

11. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

Day #3...got to jump in and teach a few times. Read two stories to the class. Graded papers, stapled stuff. My CT is amazing!

12. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

When do you think you'll "take over"?

I just started student teaching on Monday. I've been in this same classroom on a 1 day a week basis since September and was wondering when I should expect to "take over" the classroom. I would like to handle all subjects ASAP, but am not sure what is considered normal.

For those of you that are in a brand new classroom, when do you expect to have "total control"?

Also, just curious but how long are your programs? Mine lasts 10 weeks.

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

When I student taught last spring, in my first placement, it only took me one week to completely take over. In my second placement, it took me several weeks to take over because of state testing and spring break. Plus, my mentor teacher was kind of flaky so she didn't really care about making sure I got the best experience I could.

14. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 8, 2009

My program has us in the same room all year for Year 2 students. I have been in a 3rd grade room, and because I'm in this room all year I haven't yet "taken over". I usually teach 1-2 subjects throughout the day. Later this semester I will be required to take over the room and all of its responsibilities for a period of two weeks.

15. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jan 8, 2009

Hi to all the STs! I just got my first placement and will be in 1st grade starting on Monday. It is an 8 week placement and I can't wait!! I am so anxious, nervous, excited, ready, everything!!