**Spring 2009 Student Teachers!**

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Sunny Teacher, Jan 2, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 22, 2009

BTW...1st grade

2. MissX

MissX Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

Hi everyone,

I was reading through some posts and I figured I should join for support =)

I start student teaching Feb 5th-May 15th in a 5th grade classroom (urban fringe)

I am extreeemely nervous! I've already met one of my mentor teachers (I have two, co-teaching) and the students..

3. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

MsBee it sounds just like my placement. Love the teacher, how she teaches, but the kids in the class seem to care less. They are really unruly and everything she does or I do doesn't work. The kids just don't care. My early practicums were terrific and I was hoping to be with one of them but got moved at the last minute. Making the best of it, but can't wait till Spring Break, I will be finished with my student teaching then.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 22, 2009

I will be done by then as well!!!!
    The only difference with our situation is I don't like how she teaches.
    How do you deal?

5. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 23, 2009

Hey Y'all!

I just wanted to pop in and say good luck. I was doing my student teaching this time last year in a Kinder class...and I LOVED it. It's so much better than being in a college class all day long.

Do great work! The end is near :)

6. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 24, 2009

Take it one day at a time. I come in smiling and smile all day long. I have gotten a little loud but I am trying to show that even if they don't care I do. Monday I start writing lessons and will be taking over the class for half a day. I just hope that I can get through a lesson without having to stop so much and focus on little things that are HUGE things in the classroom.

7. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 26, 2009

Today I had a rather odd day...My teacher left early and a sub was of course brought in. This sub might have been younger than me, and the bad kids quickly started acting out against the sub. They even quit responding to my requests to behave.

This is my problem/issue. This isn't my class, and I have no real power to discipline/punish those who break the rules. My teacher and I have a really good relationship, but she doesn't want me enforcing rules. Of course the sub said she had a great day; she needs the reference for future work.

It comes down to this: Two students of 24 acted out to the point of me throwing them out of the room while I taught math(if I'm teaching, I'm the teacher--my coop and I have this worked out).

When as teachers we act out in anger, we are stooping down to the perp's level. The other students in the class see us respond in what I feel is an irrational manner, and we risk losing some level of respect of the good students. But what can we do to limit the affect of their negative behaviors? What if the only people they are really affecting is themselves? What if the students around them mearly find them amusing, and they have no affect on THEIR school day/work?

I feel that letting them continue on with the behavior is a sign that their behavior is ok, that I am in a way reinforcing that behavior. So by doing nothing, I am telling them and the class that I won't stand pat. On the other hand, yelling and stopping the lesson for the jokers could reinforce that behavior...they are receiving negative feedback. And any feedback is still feedback for them.

This problem is only heigtened by the fact that this is not MY classroom; I am merely a guest, and do not wish to affend my host. I know what I would do in my room, when I have one. What should I do, and are any of you having similar issues?

By the way...I am at this school all day Mon-Fri, so I see these kids daily.

8. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Jan 27, 2009

I've had this problem too. People have told me that they respect you much more when they know you are actually the classroom teacher.
    Last semester I had a kid that I was driven to the point of throwing out of class almost everyday...and this was just in fourth grade. It took me a while to figure out how to handle him, but in his case, he needed lots and lots of praise for those (few) things he was doing right. He got a lot better (although still not perfect) as the semester went on, and by the end his behavior had drastically improved. When I left, he would hardly let me leave even though he had "hated" me for so much of the semester.
    For certain kids, I've just had to figure out the reason for their negative behavior and find a way to combat it.
    Good luck!

9. MissX

MissX Rookie

Jan 27, 2009

I totally agree!
    This is always how I solved behavioral issues.
    Once you throw kids out of your room, you lose that ability to teach those students.
    Tell them they have no right to interrupt students who are learning in the classroom. When you are teaching, you are the teacher and they should respect you.
    Have a teacher/parent meeting if necessary or talk to them after class.

10. sillyitiliangrl

sillyitiliangrl Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

I've been in my placemnt (9th grade) for two weeks, and i'm taking over MONDAY!! I'm sooo nervouse! Four classes, one is a double peroid (84 min). I had off this week for state testing so I have a few lesson plans put together, but.....

I'm soooo glad I found this place!

11. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Jan 29, 2009

I got my second special ed placement today!! I'm in kindergarten inclusion classroom. I'm sort of upset because I'm only there for a total of 4 hours a week (2 hours/day). I think I'm going to work something out with my CT to see if I can stay longer if I don't have to work or come in on Fridays if I don't have to work.

12. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 30, 2009

So this week school was cancelled all week, except Monday. I am not sure if it will be back on Monday either. I feel like I am missing out by not being there :( The snow is pretty but I am ready for it to melt!!!

13. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

How is everyone's student teaching going? I'm started to feel very overwhelmed! The days go by fast, but I'm exhausted by the end of the week.

Also, the kids were pretty bad this week. I thought 2nd graders would be cute and still completely love you.

14. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 1, 2009

Mine is surprisingly enough going better than it was. I am loving it now. I think about my kids on the weekend!! lol The days are going by pretty fast. I'm not really that overwhelmed though because my situation is so laid back. This experience is really teaching me to stop being so uptight about things.

15. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Feb 17, 2009

Wow, long time, no type. My ST experience has been going extremely well. My teacher and I seem to have an amazing relationship, and the kids seem to really respond to what I am saying. However (and there's always a however in life), I have one student whom I can only classify as a destructive force. This student, who I'll call S is fond of arguing constantly with me. S does everything possible to make my lessons as bumpy as possible-this is only a third grade class! I have tried several interventions alongside my cooperating, with nothing positive happening. Today S outright yelled at me for being instructed to change their behavior! I am going to be doing my intensives in a few weeks, and need to have this under control by then! Parent talks aren't working, notes home aren't working, principal involvement isn't working....nothing. What should/can I do? :help:

Any advice before I drink myself silly?

16. tchrwonub

tchrwonub Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

I am going to National University in San Diego CA. I completed my bachelors in Workforce Education through SIU in Illinois. I just completed the California CSET on Mar 14,2009. I think I passed. I am ready to begin student teaching to complete my Masters in Multicultural Education and receive my preliminary credential. Do I have to quit my current job to do student teaching? I am off on Friday Saturday and Sunday.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 26, 2009

A great thread! It's so nice to talk with people in the same situation!

I just started my final practicum. I'm in a grade 6 class. I am SO unmotivated - I just want to be out on my own. I am forcing myself to get excited and enjoy my final weeks of being a student.

18. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Mar 28, 2009

Joel-
    A couple ideas...
    Do you think he is doing for attention? Maybe just ignoring his behavior for a while will make him stop.
    What about removing him from the room? Taking away recess?
    Say out loud how well the student next to S is doing. Just, "I really like how Hannah is focusing so well."

Another thing that may take longer, but has worked for me, is giving the child responsibility. Ask him to pass out papers, make him your helper for the lesson, tell him what a great role model he is being (if he deserves it at some point). This may make him step it up and stop being so argumentative. It sounds like a power struggle to me so try not to let that happen.

19. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 19, 2009

Well I'm done with my student teaching on Friday!!! Everyone was right...time does fly. I am going to miss my class but I am so ready for a break. I am so nervous about getting a job for August and being a first year teacher but excited as well. At first my placement was not going so well but it turned out to be a great experience. I def learned what not to do!!