**Spring 2009 Student Teachers!**

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Sunny Teacher, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

Day #3...got to jump in and teach a few times. Read two stories to the class. Graded papers, stapled stuff. My CT is amazing!

2. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

When do you think you'll "take over"?

I just started student teaching on Monday. I've been in this same classroom on a 1 day a week basis since September and was wondering when I should expect to "take over" the classroom. I would like to handle all subjects ASAP, but am not sure what is considered normal.

For those of you that are in a brand new classroom, when do you expect to have "total control"?

Also, just curious but how long are your programs? Mine lasts 10 weeks.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

When I student taught last spring, in my first placement, it only took me one week to completely take over. In my second placement, it took me several weeks to take over because of state testing and spring break. Plus, my mentor teacher was kind of flaky so she didn't really care about making sure I got the best experience I could.

4. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 8, 2009

My program has us in the same room all year for Year 2 students. I have been in a 3rd grade room, and because I'm in this room all year I haven't yet "taken over". I usually teach 1-2 subjects throughout the day. Later this semester I will be required to take over the room and all of its responsibilities for a period of two weeks.

5. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jan 8, 2009

Hi to all the STs! I just got my first placement and will be in 1st grade starting on Monday. It is an 8 week placement and I can't wait!! I am so anxious, nervous, excited, ready, everything!!

6. sarah33

sarah33 New Member

Jan 8, 2009

I will start my student teaching on Monday at a high school. I am very excited but even more nervous!

After 7 weeks, I change sites and will be in an elementary school.

7. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 8, 2009

Her name is Kelley...she works at the Southland restaurant as a waitress. Do your parents ever go there?

8. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 8, 2009

I finally got my placement. I am in 1st grade for 60 days!! My CT seems really nice.

9. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 9, 2009

I beat my full time ST on Monday! I will follow the school's district until the end of April, then I graduate. No more college classes for me.

10. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 9, 2009

I don't think so. They have been cutting back on going out. Has she lived there long? I of course graduated from CCHS. I will ask my folks this weekend. They can't believe that you can meet people online in a safe way.

11. steftem

steftem Rookie

Jan 9, 2009

My first day was today and it was great! I will first be taking over spelling, literature, and read alouds, and then science. I'm a little nervous about science, but still excited. :) After 4 weeks, I will be teaching full-time.

12. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 10, 2009

How did you all introduce yourselves on the first day? Did you do anything fun?

13. steftem

steftem Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

Next week, I'm bringing in my ABC: All About Me book that I created in one of my classes. Each letter is something about my life. I'm doing that as well as sending a letter home to the parents. :)

14. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

The teacher just introduced me as another teacher in the room. I also sent home an introduction letter to parents. We didn't do any fun activities or anything.

I'm starting to take over Math tomorrow. I think I'm going to start taking over in this order: Math, Literacy block (2 hrs/day), Science, S.S.

15. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 11, 2009

She's probably lived there for at least 12 years. My nephews both attend the high school. My oldest nephew is one of the top wrestlers in the area. My niece is nine and attends one of the elementary schools. I believe it is a new one.

16. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

I have a 14 yr old son also a 9 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. they may now her children. They all miss Currituck schools but have made lots of friends over here.

17. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 11, 2009

Their last name is Culler. Her oldest is Quincy, the middle son is Randy and her daughter is Megan.

18. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 11, 2009

Oh boy....

tomorrow is the big day! My first day of student teaching. I'm in a third grade classroom for seven weeks & then I move to another school and student teach in a fifth grade classroom for seven weeks. I'm so nervous about the amount of work I will be doing this semester. In addition to writing lesson plans and teaching, I have several other assignments. I'm in the classroom every day & I have a practicum every other Friday on the college campus. Hopefully, it will go by quickly...Good luck to all of you who also start tomorrow!

19. steftem

steftem Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

What did you include in your introduction letter to the parents? I have to do one, as well, and I haven't decided yet how I want it to be.

20. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Look at the introduction letter thread that I created in this forum. I basically just took others ideas and tailored them to me specifically.

21. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 12, 2009

I did my first day of full-time student teaching! I will be in this room everyday until the end of April. I have been in this room all year, as this is my second year of a two year program, so the kids know me.

I had to give the "riot act" to a trio of talkers/miscreants today. These boys knew they were being disrespectful towards me, and I let them know that I knew that. It felt good while at the same time bad to yell at these 3rd graders, but "if you give them an inch, they will take a foot". I did speak to them at the end of the day to ensure that we are all on the same page, and that I do respect them.

22. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

Here here..........again!

23. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 15, 2009

Yesterday was my first day to spend all day at the school. It went pretty well except for last period, my teacher left and there was a sub...talk about awkward. The kids went crazy and the sub couldn't get them to calm down. She even had one girl tell her that she had a bad attitude. (that girl got written up) anyway when she left with that girl I was all alone with them and I got them under control. IT FELT GREAT!

24. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 16, 2009

Day off...

Due to cold weather, my school district (along with many other districts) cancelled school today. So I have a nice, long, four day weekend. Anyone else get cancelled today due to weather? They are only calling for a high of 7 in my area today.

25. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 16, 2009

Here in Southwestern IL we were called off Thursday and Friday! So we get a 5 day weekend!!! Bonus

26. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 16, 2009

LUCKY!!!

27. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 16, 2009

WooHoo! Lucky you! We had a two hour delay Thursday, but delays just seem to throw the whole day off. Plus, my CT was conducting Dibels testing in another room, so there was a substitute. Well, I just started student teaching Monday, so I'm not taking over any lessons yet. The Sub was really upset...she said "I was hoping since there was a student teacher in this classroom, I wouldn't have to do anything today". She even brought a novel to read. Can you imagine? Then, she was very incompetent and a total jerk to the kids....very frustrating!

28. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

It was -4 yesterday and 4 today and we still had school in Chicago. 6 kids in my class were absent today (which is horrible, since there are only 20 kids in the classroom). I think the possible "future Secretary of Education" is trying to look good for DC.

29. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 21, 2009

Oh no!! So far the only statement I have for my experience is "HELP ME!!!!! PLEASE!!!!"

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2009

Great job, mrsnikki!

31. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 21, 2009

Thanks!! I am really liking the kids I will be working with...they all seem to be above average. They have been in a school that does looping though... I think this has benefited them!

32. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 21, 2009

MsBee, what is going on? You seemed so excited to begin ST!

33. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 22, 2009

Whats up? Did you get a bad school?

34. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 22, 2009

Great school and nice teacher! But the class I am in....OMG!!!! It's horrible. Basically I was told by my teacher that there are no rules or discipline. Its her weak area.
    I also won't be able to to teach a full group ever. I am already counting down the days.

Your right, I WAS excited now I want this to be over.

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

Well if there are no rules or discipline and its her weak area, instead of ignoring it, she needs to work on it. Without rules, how does she expect the students to learn?

36. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 22, 2009

I don't think she really cares to be honest. She is extremely nice and helpful but other than that this experience sucks.

37. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

I'm surprised that 1) she's still teaching at that district if her classroom management is lacking. Wonder what her evaluations are like?, and 2) why is she given a student teacher?

38. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 22, 2009

Well I was told she didn't want a ST!!!!!!!!!! She's not taking it out on me though. She's glad to have me but I really wish I could be with someone who wanted a ST.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

Ms Bee,

You've got to find a way to turn this around. This is too important a learning experience for you.

Tell us again: what grade??

Do some homework here and find an approach to discipline that you think has a chance with these kids. Then go in on Monday, and ask her about implementing it.

Just think of the abilities you'll have if you can turn this mob into a class where learning actually takes place!

And, for the record, your university supervisor needs to know what's going on!

40. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 22, 2009

It seems as though I had the best practicums and now it comes to the end and I am finally getting a bad one. Doesn't everyone deserve at least one? lol
    But anyway..I really need to do something because they do not listen at all. They run in lines and she doesn't care, they lay down in class, and do whatever. It doesn't seems to bother her.

As for the university supervisor...its not like she can do anything. This placement is final. I will let her know but I mean I have to deal with it regardless. I'm just in a bad mood today because I have months of this.
    I'm headed straight to the behavior management discussions.