**Spring 2009 Student Teachers!**

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Sunny Teacher, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

I start student teaching on Monday! I know there are a few others out there that are student teaching this Spring too! I thought that we could have a thread where we just post anything related to our ST experiences!

I'll start. I'm student teaching in a second grade classroom! I'm pretty excited but part of me is nervous too!

Sunny Teacher

3. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 2, 2009

I'll be doing my student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom. Good to have a thread just for us.

I've been in this classroom all year long, but have been going in Tues/Thursday only. Now I will be in there everyday until the end of April.

Hopefully we can bounce some good ideas off each other.

Joel

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2009

Hey! I wanted to start this thread!!

I start on Monday in a 1st grade classroom.

I went in for about an hour before the break and met the teacher and the kids.

5. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

I start on Monday also. New school for me. I did my observations at one school and got pulled out at the last week of classes for another school. Happened to a few of my classmates.
    Although I am upset about leaving the students I have already bounded with. Not just the classroom I was in but the whole school. I am excited to bound with a whole new set of students. FLEXIBILITY!!:lol:
    Oh I will be in a Third Grade class.

6. ton574

ton574 Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

When can a student start Student teaching?

I am almost done with my GE's and about 1/4 done with my credential units.

7. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 2, 2009

All schools are probably different. I'm in IL, and you have to have over 200 hours accumulated prior to starting student teaching. Plus, you have to pass your certification tests (we don't have the Praxis in IL)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2009

ton574, I'm guessing you're in a Cal State blended program. By state law you can't get turned loose on students as a student teacher till you've passed CSET-MS plus either CBEST or CSET-Writing - and there are probably some more credential units you should have under your belt first, too.

9. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jan 2, 2009

Glad this thread was started. I start Jan 20 but don't have my placements yet. Hopefully will in a few days.

10. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

I'm also in a new classroom. I interned a couple days a week in a first and fourth grade classroom last semester. It'll be interesting to be with a whole new group of students and a new teacher. I'm sad that break is ending so soon though!

11. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 3, 2009

I go back on the 12th. My college had a 5 week Christmas break! I miss the kids, but the break was much needed!

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

Congrats Danny! You have been on here as long as I can remember and I found this sight four and a half years ago! You are going to be a great teacher!!!

13. KLP1220

KLP1220 Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

I'm glad to see there are lots of other excited student teachers out there! I have another week pretty much left of break. I have a seminar on the 9th for two hours and then on the 12th I am going to be in first grade until May!

14. steftem

steftem Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

Hi there! I've been lurking here a lot so I thought I'd jump in. I start on January 9th! (yes, that's a Friday:lol:, my co-op will be gone my first day so we decided I'd start early).

I'm really excited, but hesitant, as I've done student teaching before, about a year ago. It was an awful experience, but I'm so ready to go back and finish!

My first placement is an 8-week session in third grade and then my second placement will be another 8-week session in sixth grade (different school).

Good luck to everyone!

15. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 3, 2009

I will be student teaching starting this month! I will be teaching 8th grade science students :>) Should be interesting since they are excited to move on to high school! I can't wait...I love kids!!

16. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 4, 2009

I am so glad to be able to see the finish line! I've dedicated almost 5 years to becoming a teacher, and I'm down to the final 4 months. Kinda scary to think about it. All I've known is being a student, now I'm going (hopefully) to be a teacher!!!

17. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

I know! Crazy, huh?!

I start tomorrow!! I'm so excited!

18. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

I thought the same thing when I student taught last spring. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll switch from student mode to teacher mode. It was an instant change for me...it was a very strange feeling not being a student anymore.

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

I can't sleep...I can't sit still...And an entire package of cookies just disappeared (I couldn't have eaten them all...)

I'm sooo nervous!

And excited...

And a little sad that I don't get to go back to work this semester. I'll miss my little preschoolers!

We have two staff days before the kids come back though, so I'll have time to get to know my teacher and the school before we jump into 'regular' days...

Deep breath...happy thoughts...

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

Thanks!!

:wub::wub:

21. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

Good luck student teachers! I wish I was in your shoes! Soon enough I will be though...:)

22. cait113

cait113 Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

In my EDU100 course I'll be starting (I am a college freshman), I get to "student teach". Although I just sit in the back and observe, I am so excited to actually get in a classroom and watch a teacher and imagine myself in their shoes!! :) It'll *hopefully* confirm that I am choosing the right major as I have been stressing over whether teaching is the right career for me.

Good luck to all of you!!!! :)

23. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 5, 2009

Today is the FIRST DAY OF STUDENT TEACHING!!!! I think I am more nervous this morning than I was actually getting ready for my first day of school.
    I need to be getting ready to go and getting my own kids out the door. I have a feeling there is going to be lots of days like this.
    But I am excited!!!:2up:

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2009

Have fun curtukgrl!!

25. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 5, 2009

I know when I finally got to sit in on a class it really confirmed my love for being around students and just getting to share knowledge with them :) HAVE FUN!:thumb:

26. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Jan 5, 2009

Good luck and best wishes for those starting today or this week!!! I start next Monday (1-12). 4 months to go.

Quick question: Any other non-traditional students on this thread? I am 28.

27. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 5, 2009

I am a nontradtional student. I am 33 with 3 kids. But I will be done in MAY!!!

Well to reflect on today's student teaching. My cp was/is out with the FLU!! Substitute found out I was the student teacher and wanted me to teach!! No biggie but I was so unprepared. I had to let her know I was more than willing to help out in anyway, but to teach, I was only to be observing. It is in the guidelines.:whistle: I so hate the guidelines but it helped me out today. Plus it let me see how I will not be teaching and what to expect from a sub. Nothing negative on subs, cuz I am one of those too.
    All in all today was ok. Just hope that the teacher is there tomorrow I need to know what my schedule is gonna be like.

How was everybody else's first day?

28. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

Jan 5, 2009

Hello to all of the student teachers here! I am starting my Professional Semester in January...block of 5 methods classes on MWF and T/TH we are with our cooperating teacher and students. I have several questions for my cooperating teacher - don't know what school district or grade level yet - However, I would love to hear what questions/comments you had when you first met your cooperating teacher. Thanks in advance for your replies!

29. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 5, 2009

Just got back from my first day of student teaching!!

I loved it! My cooperating teacher is so nice! I think I'm really going to enjoy second grade!

I observed a lot of the day, put some packets together, got to read the kiddos a story, and she even let me pick them up from PE. I think we're going to be a good match!

Proud Mom, A lot of the questions really depend on the teacher. Don't stress...you'll learn so much your first few days. Some important questions for me were:

What's your bathroom policy (for the students)?
    Behavior policy?
    HW procedures?

30. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 5, 2009

I am 26 :) Are we non-traditional? That makes us sound old! lol

31. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 6, 2009

I start Monday, January 12...

I'm so nervous and excited! My cooperating teacher seems very helpful. We've been in contact several times & she has invited me to her classroom today so that I can meet her and her students before Monday. I thought that was so nice of her. I'm in a 3rd grade classroom for the first half of my assignment. In March, I will move to another district and student teach in a 5th grade classroom.

32. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 6, 2009

BTW...

I am a nontraditional student. I went back and read over some of the previous threads and thought I would contribute to that conversation. I'm 33 and I have two beautiful daughters. We live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

33. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 6, 2009

I love Pittsburgh! Just thought I would share :)

34. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I find out tomorrow about my student teaching assignment! I'm so excited!

35. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

I am so glad I am not the oldest out there. :hugs:

36. sally20

sally20 New Member

Jan 6, 2009

hi

I am a student teacher and I am so TIRED!!! It is going well, but I do not feel like a teacher, I am an actor. I feel less like I belong in the school than the students. I was homeless before college, I was also in mental programs for potentially psychotic youth. I was later diagnosed with high functioning autism, which was a relief after that because it does not sound so bad. I went through college on scholarship and now people would not recognize me and do not know who I am. I am student teaching in a private Catholic school, I am neither Catholic nor someone who would ever have been in a private school myself. I dress the part by dressing more formally than the other teachers and I act the part. Therefore, I am not yet ready to be a teacher. Instead I am a character actor.

There is a student in one of my classes who has Asperger's syndrome. My cooperating teacher whispered this to me as if it were a great secret. Then she added, "but she does well." In my mind I think "well, of course she does." But I did not say anything. For some reason I had already known this, the first time I saw the student, although I do not know why.

I am the same age as the other student teachers from my University, I am only 22, but I feel old. I feel like the first 18 years of my life were a different life. This is a new life, I feel sometimes like it was stolen, but I hope to earn the right to it by doing well.

37. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 6, 2009

Today was day #2. I am also TIRED!! Definitely going to bed early tonight! I got to jump in and teach a little math. My CT seems amazing! She's so welcoming. Today was an early release day so after the kids left we went to a meeting. I'm starting to feel like a teacher!

38. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Jan 7, 2009

I wish I could be student teaching this semester. I still have 2 more semesters before that happens. I'm doing the second placement in a special ed setting this semester and I'm excited because I have heard nothing but good news about the school I'm going to be at and the teachers there. Good luck to you guys!

39. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 7, 2009

Not so sure you'd like it today in Pittsburgh...BRRRRRRR...cold....

40. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 7, 2009

Curtukgrl...are you from Currituck County in NC? My sister lives in Moyock...just curious.

41. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

Yeah raised there. Now I live in Pasquotank County, just can't shake the nickname. Who is your sister? Might now her? My parents still live in Currituck, Moyock to be exact.