Spring 2008 Student Teachers

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by emmakate218, Jan 2, 2008.

1. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

ah I wish I found this forum when I was student teaching last semester. My worst lesson of the semester just happened to be the day after halloween, when the kids (and me) were all tired from the night before, and of course my supervisor showed up with little warning and knocked the class for "low energy."

"I am so FRUSTRATED. I feel like such a failure."

my supervisor really made my experience stressful as well, which is too bad as they should be encouraging you instead of knocking you down. Luckily my students always told me I was their favorite teacher, which helped me a lot. I kind of think students ALWAYS like their student teachers the most, but I took whatever support I could get.

2. IceTeach2008

IceTeach2008 New Member

Mar 6, 2008

hi...so glad I found this and wish I had in the beginning. I am finishing up my first experience tomorrow, 1st grade. Then moving on to 4th grade on Monday. I am DREADING it for some reason. I have grown so close to my 1st graders that it is going to be hard to leave tomorrow :eek:( I just wish I could be my CT's assistant teacher, and believe me she would need one, lol.

Anyway, any tips on 4th grade would be greatly appreciated.

3. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

I am planning on volunteering with my CT once I finish. Maybe on days you have nothing planned you can go in and do the same.

4. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

Hey so far going well apart from one insolent kid who tinks he is a grown man cuz he is a senoir.

I am learning the ways of American high schools vs Caribbean HS.

5. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Mar 9, 2008

I finished my first placement in kindergarten on the same day you finished your 1st grade placement and I know how you feel. I'm going to miss those little buggers. I felt like a lost puppy dog on Friday afternoon when the kids left and I had nothing to do. My CT looked at me and said "Do you want to leave?" (not in a mean way at all). I said "I guess so, I don't have anything to do anymore." She laughed, hugged me and walked me to my car. I got in and cried my eyes out.

My next placement is going to be great, I've worked with the teacher and the kids before, I guess I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the change.

6. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

I feel like I am losing it!!!

Nothing seems to be going right this semester. I am having major issues at home, and nothing I do seems to be enough for my University supervisor. I know she is trying to make me be the best, but right now I do not feel that I am even OK. I seem to be freezing up, which I have never had a problem with. I feel like such a loser. I just want to give up and quit. sorry just needed to vent.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2008

HPUstudent, I'm sorry that you're having a tough time in more than one area of your life right now. Just look at it as a tough "time" though - meaning momentarily.

Have you taken your university supervisor's suggestions and tried to improve in areas your university supervisor has mentioned? If you have, and that's still not good enough for her/him, then there's not much you can do, but stick with it! That's the one thing no one can take from you - you're drive to stick with things even when they get tough.

8. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

Emmakate,
    I feel like I am taking her advice and when I do she is criticizing it. I am going to try to talk to her about it when she comes in for a conference Friday. Wish me luck I feel like giving up!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

stopping in for support, and ideas

Hello everyone,

I am Master Pre-K, and I teach preschool. I wanted to pop in and offer you some support and ideas. I am also a grad student, and working on a paper regarding teacher retention, student teaching and internship programs. I am very interested in your experiences in student teaching.

I have faced many of the same frustrations you are going thru. It seems to me that CT could be a little more helpful. Also, universities could be more responsible in giving out timely information. I can't imagine my university based teacher just showing up, unnannounced! :eek: That sounds so unfair. In addition, it must be really irritating not knowing about your placement, or having the ordeal of making your own arrangements!

Although many of you are quite comfortable and not having too many problems, I would like to make a suggestion:

I would be to write down as many questions as possible, and try not to interrupt the teacher. You may discover your own answer! More importantly, the teacher will appreciate and respect you for asking questions later..not during the lessons.

Of course, if something looks terribly wrong, or you notice any potential accident...tell them immediately! I made the mistake of watching fights break out, and classroom critters escaping...and got dirty looks and reports from my teachers, when I told them I saw the whole thing! :unsure:

This is a great forum! I am sure you will find lots of helpful advice for whatever you need!

Stay encouraged, and good luck!

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

don't forget the "I" statements versus the "YOU" statements.

"I wanted you to know that I am trying very hard to prepare the lessons as you suggest. Sometimes, I don't quite understand your directions. Would you mind telling me what I did wrong, in that math lesson? (when you jumped in and took over yesterday) I want to follow want you are saying."

Smile, and be positive...

no matter what or how she talks!

write down notes..

so you have some back up, if you get poor grades...you can say you made an effort to get better understanding

Notes:

On March 18, I asked CT about math lesson on Monday. She said, "You did not ask enough questions, or write an example on the board (leave off..Like I told you!)" I thanked her for her response, and reassured her that I would ask more questions of the students, and will remember to write examples on the board.

11. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

That's the thing it is not so much the CT, but the University advisor. I appreciate the advice and I will try to fit it to the Univ. Advisor as well as I can. CT says just do what she wants and jump through the hoops she wants you to and keep going. I love my CT.

12. Tay

Tay Companion

Mar 18, 2008

I"m sorry HPU. How much longer do you have? At least you're pleasing your CT. To me, that's more important than the supervisor. You're with your CT every day. If she knows you're doing a good job and writes you a good review, how could you not pass your placement, kwim?

And she's the one you want the reccomendation letter from :)
    Hang in there.....it won't be much longer now!

13. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

Thanks Tay,
    The CT does have tips and constructive things to say, and I know that due to some personal issues my work is not what it should be, but she does not SEEM to think it is as bad as the supervisor says. Maybe I am misreading it all, but I think that in the end the CT will pass me. I finish April 25, I cannot wait. I am also going to volunteer to help with some things after school and after ST assignment is over, to get more experience and confidence.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

University teacher gives the grade...the CT's grade is averaged in with theirs. Sometimes, ignored altogether...

so...As much as it kills you...

be a robot, puppet...shadow...any other term you want to use...be like her as much as possible.

then, be yourself with kids and CT...

until she comes out to observe you. when CT asks why you acted that way, tell her...and she will understand...or, she may appreciate the change..during the lesson, and think you got the hang of it..

and, actually...when you apply for jobs and grad school, you will need reference letters from both!

If this one is being a pain, you can use a previous undergrad professor...

but it would be better to sing along with this University/Field based teacher, and do your solo later!

15. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 24, 2008

UPDATE

I had a revelation the other night. I realized that I am trying to come up with lessons and activities on my own. Obviously being a student I do not know what works and what doesn't. I was told by another university teacher to use the Textbook teacher editions. The teachers I work with use supplemental material but rarely use a text book. The Professor said that through our first year, or until we have a full "bag of tricks" we should use the text book, by the second or third year we would not need them. CT said that she never thought about that and apologized for not giving me the advice herself. She said she always had with past ST's. University Supervisor agreed. I will practically be starting over for my last 4 weeks, but it will be my chance to shine, I guess. Thanks for all the advice!
    :thanks:

16. jennie

jennie Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

Normally,
    do the school give you more than one placement in different grade level?
    How long does each placement last?
    Can you refuse go to the assigned placement if you don't like and request to pick a different one?

17. jennie

jennie Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

if you couldn't pass the test for the certification, can you still continue to do the student teaching?

18. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 24, 2008

I understand--I did that too! My mentor teacher has been teaching so long that he doesn't use those lessons anymore. He did give me some suggestions of activities he has used in the past, but I needed a lot more than he gave me! I spent sooo much time coming up with lessons from scratch. I'm glad you realized that you can use these other materials while you still have some time left, and I'm sure you will shine! :)

I am officially done with my student teaching now. Friday was my last day. I'm kind of glad (even though I'll miss the students) because I have lots of other things I need to get done before May (like finish my thesis) if I hope to graduate!

~Briana~

19. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 24, 2008

In middle/high school, you get a single placement for the whole time. From what I've read about elementary student teachers, you split your placement between two grades. Someone who is teaching elementary can probably give you more info than I can. Length of placement depends on the school, so I'd ask someone at your university.

As for refusing your placement, I'm going to say definitely not. Being a student teacher is about learning, not about choosing what you want. And who knows, perhaps you will end up loving that placement you wanted to turn down!

~Briana~

20. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 24, 2008

In GA at least, you may student teach without having passed a content area exam. This might be different in some states so again I'd suggest asking someone at your university.

~Briana~

21. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Mar 24, 2008

Thanks,
    I am working with more than one teacher due to departmentalized grade level teaching, and one of the teachers is kind of vague. Another is new at the subject she is teaching and still finding her way herself! The last is my official CT and has been helpful, but was not thinking about the manuals and has been very apologetic that she did not think of this sooner. I am sure that things will turn around now!
    Again thanks for your encouragement!

22. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 24, 2008

oh hi all.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

In IL we have 8 weeks in one grade, and 8 weeks in another. You can have a fit and cry, but they usually won't move you. University acts like the school is doing them a favor, and we are supposed to be representing univ, so we must bend over backwards and be nice. The school could have CTs who are absolute pains, but they will never admit to it. Unless you get sick or have to drop out or something, and they really expect you to stay put.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

depends on your school/state...in IL you must pass the test before you can even enter most school of ed programs!

must have degree, student teaching and pass all tests before you can be certified.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

YW....HPU

what got me was after years of making 2 pages of lesson plans in college, I learned that you had to make that all fit in a 3x4" rectangle!

Now they are all online, have to type them and email them..at most schools! :eek:

well, less handwriting...and that is a relief! You can cut and paste forever!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

congradulations!!!

27. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Apr 22, 2008

I had my final evaluation today and wrap up student teaching Friday!!! WOOO HOOO it's over. Not that it was bad, but the stress is decreasing dramatically! How is everyone else doing?

28. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

Wow...congrats! So you are done! That's so nice. In our school, we have to teach till the end of the semester i.e. mid June.

BTW, what is your subject area?

29. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

We do 14 weeks, state requirement is 10, so we are above this, but graduation is May 3 so we have to wrap up in time for grades to be input! I am exhausted, but got the best gift ever from my kids. Fifth grade is departmentalized, so I had 75 students, they each put their thumb print on a bag and made something out of it, a face, butterfly, etc. The bag is canvas and has the school name, grade level, and year. My kids ROCK! :cool:

30. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

May 3, 2008

14 weeks of student teacher??? Wow, that's heaps!

I start my high school student teaching next semester. It's freaky because i'm just 19 years old and the students i'll be teaching are 15 years old.

I'll just have to look professional.

31. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

May 3, 2008

I had someone tell me that the most important thing about your dress is that the teacher can be distinguished from the student. Nothing to "trendy" go with the basics. Try not to look 19. I am short and although I am thirty most people think I am 19 or 20, When I am in the classroom I do not dress up, but I wear clothes that are flattering, yet comfy. Khaki's and a nice shirt should be good. It reall depends on the environment.

On another note I GRADUATED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 3, 2008

wooohooo...congrats HPU!!!

now what on earth are you doing here! shouldn't you be partying somewhere?! :p

33. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

May 3, 2008

Congratulations HPU student!

34. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

May 3, 2008

After the last semester, I am too tired to party. No really my hubby has drill (national guard) this weekend, they let him off today, but he has to be 1 hr away at 7am. We opted to celebrate in two weeks because that is the weekend of our 10th anniversary. With mothers day next week we will just make it a BLOW OUT dinner/ evening out!

Thanks You guys for the Congrats!!!

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 3, 2008

yw...you have fun...you deserve it!

36. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 5, 2008

Hi everyone,

Wow, hi everybody. I feel so distant from this forum, I haven't been on it since pretty much when I started student teaching. That pile of stress sure snuck up on me! I wipe a little tear from the corner of my eye thinking about how freakin' MUCH I've learned about teaching, teenagers, and thinking on the run.

The other day, when I stayed up late designing a contract learning proposal and schedule for one of my students who is going to be a dad, and is dangerously close to not graduating, I started crying. Not bad crying, but crying because it really matters to me that this guy makes it and it's so awesome being a part of something that matters. This is where it's at, people. Can you think of another job you'd be willing to work this hard for???

Congratulations to everyone who's graduated, about to graduate, and otherwise (nearly) survived student teaching!

37. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

May 5, 2008

I can hear you! I can understand what you are saying.

BTW, are you done with your student teaching? What is your subject area? How did you find your student teaching experience?

I have been terribly busy ever since I started my student teaching...I am still doing it and will continue for a few more weeks. I really hope to get a job, after I am done with this program.

Good luck to you!

38. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

May 5, 2008

I was just thinking about questions I will be asked in interviews and one that came to mind was why do I want to teach? It is the cornerstone of everything we do in life. We cannot do anything that we are not taught to do. Granted, somethings we learn subconsciously by watching, but we learn them nonetheless. I for one cannot think of a more important career that has more impact on EVERYONE. I'm sorry that this semester has been trying for you, but it sounds like it has reinforced why we do this. That teen dad needs you, as does the honors student, and everyone else you come in contact with. I hope all goes well with him, and you and he will be in my thoughts and prayers.

39. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 5, 2008

Nope-- I've got four more weeks of freshmen, and three more weeks of seniors. Well, about two and a half more weeks because man are those guys CHECKING OUT right now :)

I'm an English teacher. All in all, my student teaching was an awesome learning experience. My students are great people, my school is a very supportive and welcoming place, and my two master teachers are super, super, super awesome.

Thanks for the luck! I'll need it!

40. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 5, 2008

Thanks so much! Not to worry, this semester has been trying in the best way--with many, many highs to meet the lows. Thank you for the advice about interviewing! That's an awesome answer to a question I think about a lot!