Spouses....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Jul 27, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

My husband always fusses when I buy stuff for my classroom....he wants to know why I need the pillows or why I need the crayons and notebooks.......does anyone else have this problem???

3. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I'm fortunate that my partner is also a teacher, but I understand the dilemma. Is it possible that you could set a yearly budget, explaining that you need things the school simply does not supply? If he knows that you are sticking to what you budgeted (I wince even writing that, since I KNOW how hard that is!), perhaps he will understand. You could also invite him to spend a day with you in your classroom (with permission of your principal, of course). He could then see how important the things you buy are to really helping the students. I challenge him to resist a class of first graders looking adoringly at you and giving him the random hugs that first graders are famous for.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

Hahaha my husband does the same thing so I don't show him... Sneaky-- I keep it in my car so he doesn't get upset that the school district doesn't give us more money for classroom set up stuff.

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

The idea of him visiting the class is a good idea...I don't think he would stay long lol.....

6. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

my boyfriend fusses and he is also a teacher. I used to buy A LOT of stuff when I taught elementary but I haven't bought much for middle school. Haha...I have also gotten into the habit of hiding stuff that I purchased.

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

The worst dh was, was when I purchased my own overhead and when I purchased a refridgerator. But he saw my room and understood that sped. gets sloppy seconds if they get any at all. Besides, he claimed it as a deduction. :)

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

My boyfriend makes comments and tells me sometimes that he'll want to keep track of my purchases when we get married. lol

9. mrsw2

mrsw2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Before I got married I never worried about what I spent for my classroom, of course I didn't have a mortgage or a lot of the other things that go along with being married. Now that I'm married I always tell my husband what I need and what I am going to buy. He knows I don't get very much money from the school district, so he understands. He's really great about it. In return I try to spread my purchases out over the summer for the upcoming school year that way I don't spend tons of money in August. I think the only thing you can do is be truthful about what you need for school and sit down and explain why you need those things to your boyfriend/husband. Eventually, he'll be on your side!

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

My dh is better about it now than he was a few years ago. But then again, a few years ago I was spending way more money.

11. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

mine is the same...and he still hasn't changed...each year I spend less and now he knows that I have to....I just leave it in the car and when he asks I tell him but I don't share with him :)

12. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

yeah...i think my problem is that i am a 2nd year teacher...i started off in a room with NOTHING but desks...and i am trying to build up my supplies...maybe it will get better as the yrs go by.

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

muah ha ha ha what dh doesn't know......:p

14. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday walking by the Back-to-School sales of school supplies. I am so proud of myself that I didn't buy anything! Of course, this is because I bought so much the previous years, I have a surplus, but hey!

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I have kidded about hiding things from my hubby but really he understands that I put my heart and soul into teaching and having "things" that I want makes me happier and let's face it we are in our classrooms for a major part of waking hours.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 27, 2008

We have summer school right now so there isn't a week that goes by where I don't need to buy something new. My supply cabinet has a lot of things in it that I reuse but there are things that get used up that need to be replaced now and then. My hubby can't understand why I need to buy so much stuff. Yesterday, I bought some M&Ms for the class and he said, "Why didn't you buy me any"? :lol: