Sports Theme For 4th Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Beth Young, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Beth Young

Beth Young Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Hi! :angel:
    I am looking for ideas! I want to have a sports theme in my classroom this year and I am looking for new ideas. Anything would be helpful, but I am especially looking for ideas for helpers charts, setting up the classroom, and rewards. Thanks for sharing! :thanks:

3. NewYorker

NewYorker New Member

Aug 3, 2006

"Welcome to the Team" would be a great welcome board in your classroom. You could have sports balls on the bulletin board(each child's name on a different ball). Here are more bulletin board ideas:

"All Star Work"
    "Catch the Spirit of 4th Grade"
    "On the Ball with (insert subject Reading, Writing, Spelling)"

You could have a job wheel(Jobs on the outside of the circle, students names on a smaller circle attached to the bigger circle with a brad). The job wheel could be a basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc.

One idea for the door frame inside your classroom: Have a goal post and above it state your goals for the year.

For rewards, you could print small clipart(black and white) onto construction paper. You could print up baseballs on white paper, basketballs on orange paper, soccer balls on white paper, a hockey puck on black paper, etc. After printing and cutting the balls out, you might want to laminate them so they will last long. Have a list posted on your wall with how many points each ball is worth. You could give out basketballs for 100's on quizzes, baseballs for 100's on tests, and hockey pucks for the start student of the day, and soccer balls for random acts of kindness shown. Baseballs could be worth 3 points, basketballs worth 3 points, hockey pucks worth 2 points, and soccer balls worth two points. After receiving so many points(you choose the number of points), they earn a prize from the prize box. Or, you could have a reward chart. I use incentive charts, and after each chart there are rewards(homework pass, day with a friend, extra recess, they choose the order of the subjects I teach for a day, a day at the teacher's desk, and teacher's assistant). They absolutely love that!

Have fun! Oh, I'm not sure what state you live in, but here in New York, baseball is a big thing. So, at the end of the year, since the students slack off a little, I divide the students into two teams. One team is the Yankees, and one team is the Red Sox(Go Red Sox!). Yes, I'm a Red Sox fan living in New York--dangerous. :eek: Anyways, each test counts as a game. If they get a 100, they earn a grand slam(4 runs) for their team. A 99-98 = 3 runs; 97-96 = 2 runs; 95-94= 1 run. I tally up the runs for that test(game), and whatever team wins gets a win. I keep a running total of wins on the chalkboard. I've had students who normally have a B, C average racking up A's during this time. It's a lot of fun. Whatever team wins, gets a big prize. The other team gets a smaller prize, as long as they participated.

Have fun! :rolleyes:

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 3, 2006

A great BB would be to have the kids write goals for different subjects on soccer balls. Put the balls up on a green background and use white colored pencil to draw a soccer net on one end and pin the balls up around. "Shooting for the Goal"

If you have table groups, you could have "Team Captains or Managers" to get materials for the group.
    "Score Keepers" could handle the attendance.

5. Beth Young

Beth Young Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Thanks for your ideas!

6. Beth Young

Beth Young Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Thank you so much! You put a lot of time into that reply and I really appreciate it. Have a great school year.