Sports (coaching related question (volleyball)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Olivesmom, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I agreed to coach volleyball for middle school girls at my school this year. We have had two practices and now it was sprung on us today that we have a game on Saturday. Most of the poor girls have never played before and I have never coached so we are all very green. I was wondering if anyone would have a recommendation as to a rotation schedule that would work best for the game. It is rally scoring to 25, which is new for me, I am used to played to 15. I know all of the rules and procedures I am just stumped on how to do rotations. I have 11 players. Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL!!!

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2008

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to wish you luck. Hopefully the girls won't be too hard on themselves given their inexperience. Remind them that they're out there to learn the game, and most of all, to have fun...and then treat them to pizza afterwards :)

4. historychic84

historychic84 Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Hey Olivesmom,

I'll let give some credentials I played volleyball for five seasons from 7-11 grades. :) I was a collegiate athlete in Track and Field at Boise State. So I have a little bit of athletic experience and I watched the volleyball teams when they were on during the Olympics :) I would play your tallest players in the front therefore to block the spikes and tips over the net. Hopefully your smallest and quickest players in the back to either determine if the ball is going to be in our out or your diggers to prevent the ball to it the ground.

Have you been teaching your girls to call out the ball before they attempt to hit it? Such as, "Mine, Got it, It's mine!" We were always calling the ball before hitting so then it let's the other players know what's going on. For example, for the girls in the front if they misjudge the ball then the back row can step in.

For now I think the girls should just stay as in all six positions for the first few weeks... and maybe start a 5-1 later!

Here's a good little website.
    http://www.strength-and-power-for-volleyball.com/serve-receive-5-1.html

I hope that helps! Let me know how Saturday goes for you and the team! :) Good luck!

5. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Thanks for the advice and the website. I feel so bad for the girls because we literally did not know we had a game until yesterday. I was told they would not start until October. So I was trying to cram as much as possible into an hour and a half practice. I mean most of them cannot even bump or serve and have trouble getting into "ready" position. Plus they already have a "we suck" attitude even though I told them we are just going to try our best and have fun understanding that we have only had 2 practices. So we shall see :) I will keep you posted!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2008

My daughter's basketball coach has 3 rules for his teams (whether a school team or the competetive team)--play hard, play smart and have fun! He expects everyone to play to the best of their ability, to apply some of the things they have done in practice and, most important, to have fun doing it.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

I'll give you a little of my vball knowlege from way back. I did manage in jr high (no teams then) both jv & varsity teams. So I did get to practice with them. Mostly serving & stuff, but picked a lot up from just being around it. Played my whole high school career.

Don't forget the whole if it's above your waist in the back row it's most likely out.

I agree with historychic. I think one of the most important aspects of vball is talking & letting the others know.

I don't know a lot about the rules now because like you we only played to 15 as well. I'd say rotate some of your better servers as well. That's usually an easy place to rotate as well.

But like the other's it takes time for the team to click & for everyone to understand the game. It can be confusing at first.

GOOD LUCK!!!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 19, 2008

Do you want my honest advice? Don't play in this game. It is going to crush your girls. If the other team has even a little bit of skills, they will be defeated, and I say that in the nicest way. It's like sending a teacher in the classroom after 2 days of class. It's not fair to them or you-you are going to lose them. They are going to want to quit, and at that point, you might as well, 'cause no matter what you say, there is going to be little to no motivation.

Sorry to be so blunt! Good luck to you.

9. historychic84

historychic84 Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

I say let them play... we lost every darn game during the seventh grade! It didn't deter me from playing the next few years! It is a learning experience just to play a game. We all have learning curves and some are steep mountains and some are round as hills. Besides it is the coach that has the real power and the effect on the girls. I wish them well!

10. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

I'll try to help!! I played volleyball from 7th grade on, and in college until I seriously hurt my back my senior year. In addition, I coached HS JV for a year before I started teaching.

Your game is probably best 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5. I'd start 6 of the girls first game and the other 5 (that didn't start) plus one repeat the 2nd game. In middle school the girls probably aren't that tall, so I wouldn't worry for now about substituting to keep tall girls in the front. If you can, start the first rotation of the game (how they start on the court) with 3 of your tallest girls in the front, and 3 shorter girls in the back. That way, at least if the other team scores a run of points on you, your tall girls are in the front. (You won't rotate if you don't side out.)

I'd start substituting when the team that is ahead is at about 12, 13, or 14 points. Substitute every couple points (pace yourself to 25), but don't ever sub out someone who is in the middle of serving. If they are just going back to serve for the first time or just missed a serve, sub them, but don't sub them after they've gotten a serve over the net. No need to waste possible points. :) Also, don't sub anyone out right after they've had a horrible play. I understand they probably won't be doing wonderfully, but you don't want them to be even more down because they think you subbed them because they are bad...

I'd say one of the main things the girls should focus on (as a previous poster mentioned) is calling the ball "mine!!!" when they are going to hit it. Also, I'd try to get all the girls calling "OUT" (girls on the court and girls on the bench) if they see the ball is going out. It will keep them involved, watching the ball, and hopefully get you some points because the other team hit it out!! :thumb:

Let me know if you need any more help! Good luck with the game on Saturday. Feel free to PM me this season if you have any questions; rotations, drills, or anything. Volleyball is such a fun sport...I miss it!!

ETA: I think one of the important things for this game would be for all the girls to get relatively equal playing time and court experience, so they all know how it feels and you all have a chance to suggest how you can get better, speaking from your experiences. :)

11. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

All of the above, and also try and make sure you can find girls who aren't afraid to get their faces on that court for the roles of DS and/or Libero! We have a couple of girls on our MS team who are great players but are still a touch too hesitant to really dive for it. By the time varsity rolls around they've usually overcome that (hence frequent knee abrasions.. :D ) but at the MS level, the girls at the back really have to be prepared to get down there and dig. I actually think that's the most important thing, as for middle school height won't be such a factor in terms of putting the focus on the front row.