Split-Level Class, Help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sparkkatie, Sep 11, 2006.

1. sparkkatie

sparkkatie New Member

Sep 11, 2006

Hello,
    As of today I just started teaching a 3/4 split class :eek: I was supposed to teach third grade, but because enrollment is down they asked if my partner and I if we would take on 6 fourth graders, I volunteered since my partner is a new teacher. I am now regretting it, and I am only one day into it. I have 17 third graders and 6 fourth graders and I don't know how to balance the two. I can't help wondering, after reading old posts, if it wouldn't be better for the fourth grade teacher to take the six students, that would put them at 28 and 29 students. I feel guilty even suggesting it, but if everyday is going to be like the day I had today, I am going to go insane! Not to mention I don't have books for my fourth graders, or teachers manuals and am not sure when I am getting them, so I have to photocopy everything I need to teach this group.:eek:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to teach a group like I mentioned? They are also chatty and have difficultly listening. Thanks!

Erin

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2006

How was your second day? Don't give up you can do it. I am teaching 10 students in nine different grade levels. Last week I thought it was impossible to do but I'm starting to get a handle on it! BTW I'm a first year teacher.

4. sparkkatie

sparkkatie New Member

Sep 12, 2006

second day

The second day went much better, not perfect, but better. I talked with my administrator and she helped out a lot by telling me things I can do to make it easier, such as literature circles instead of working out of the basil readers. So I am going to have to continue balancing the two classes.

So if anyone has any advice I would welcome it. Thanks!

Erin

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 12, 2006

Have centers if appropriate for that age. Teach the same lesson, but then split for the actual work (give more challenging work to the 4th graders). Be mindful of curriculum themes that will be different. Have some lessons joint (like a science lesson) but then for the actual work split up and have one doing hypothesis, etc write up while the other is doing what's appropriate for their age/curriculum. There might be times when you split up between the two of you, but you can feasibly teach the whole class most of the time and gear the books, worksheets/results, etc a different levels.

6. ilovemyjob27

ilovemyjob27 Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

Hello I to have a split level class. I have 1/2 and it can be quite challenging at times. I didn't think I could do it last year, but now I love it. This is my second year. What I do is I start the day with a morning circle time and explain what I want them to do indpendently in the morning while I call small groups to the table to work with me. I try not to keep them with me for more than 20 minutes at a time, then I walk around and check on everyone else before calling the next group. I use a bunch of peer tutoring. Try pairing up a 4th grader with a third grader and tell them to ask their 4th grade buddy if they have a question before coming to you. I use my afternoon time to do whole group activites. I usually spend about 25 minutes doing oral reading and discussing story elements. I also review certain skills and do social studies and science in the afternoons. I like to spend the last 20-30 minutes of the day doing a writing activity, we use the 4 square writing method. I will give them all the same topic, that makes it easier. This may seem very simple, but this is what I do everyday and it works. It should be easier to do with 3/4 because they are more independent. At least I hope so!!