Spitting from a 1st grader

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2ndTimeArnd, Mar 4, 2009.

1. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Mar 4, 2009

I have a boy who will not stop spitting. He goes up to kids, gets about an inch from their faces - and wham. Truly disgusting. I would say this happens anywhere from 2-5 times a day. We have had many talks about how it is wrong; he agrees he wouldn't want someone spitting at him. I've tried all the class management tricks - loss of recess, notes home, loss of centers, he sits at a desk by himself instead of at a table, etc. All to no avail. He has other odd oral behaviors, too: I saw him licking the desk one day. I ended up getting rid of several posters in my room that I'd written on with vis-a-vis markers, because he would spit on his finger and rub the finger across the posters.

He can't explain why he does any of this. I've talked to Mom and Dad, who have no idea either and says he doesn't do it at home. There are many other things going on: constant noises, inappropriate social responses, rolling on the floor, jumping like a rabbit instead of walking down the hall; he just seems completely unprepared for school and honestly seems to be at the maturity level of a 3-year-old. He is very low academically. Personally if I was the parent I'd be getting him in for some testing, somewhere, but they don't seem to be overly worried.

I feel badly for this boy, as clearly there is something wrong, but our RTI system just has me document everything and keep track of successes and failures, but there's no particular move to figure out what's going on with him - and probably won't be for a couple of years until RTI figures out he's not progressing. (My dissatisfaction with RTI - Response to Intervention - is a matter for another post, I guess.) Meanwhile, he is completely disruptive. I'm pretty much at my wit's end. Ideas?

3. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Is RTI the only avenue towards testing where you are? Can you just request testing, or have the parents do it? Are they concerned about him? It sounds like he has sensory issues and/or is on the autism spectrum from what you have said. He can't wait around a couple of years!

Best of luck,
    L.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

Have you talked with your principal? Does your school have an I&RS team (Intervention and response services, I think)? Or can you talk to anyone in the child study team to get some other ideas? Its occurring way too much, in my opinion.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 5, 2009

In our school, spitting is an immediate removal from classroom. Second offense on the same day would lead to in school suspension. This is because it is an exchange of body fluids -- and is a health hazard. Our admin tolerates a lot of nonsense, but spitting is treated very seriously!

I'm surprised your admin isn't responding more strongly since it is a public health issue. Diseases can be transmit via an exchange of body fluids. Both you and your other students are at risk.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

That has got to be frustrating. I hate physical punishment like spanking, but I swear when I see kids spitting or biting, I just get this urge to smack them right in the mouth. It is so nasty. I saw a kid spit on his sister in the grocery store, right in her face, the other day, and I gasped out loud and the mom looked up at me. lol. I had to quickly go down another aisle.

From another perspective, you said this happens 2-5 times a day. If I knew my kid was on the receiving even of this, I would be UPSET.

I would get a hold of the school psychologist pronto and have some testing done with that kid.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

and this is where I'm going with this one...WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER PARENTS??? Haven't they said anything to you about this?? Holy smokes...if my kid were on the receiving end...I would be at the principal's office making sure that something was done with this kid. This sort of stuff makes me really upset :mad: (as you can see :p ). I think it's so rude of that child's parents to let it go; and in essence, THEY HAVE.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

At my school, they would start giving him home suspension every time he does it. Not so much to punish the kid, but to get the parent's attention.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

What about an OT referral? The odd oral behaviours are a bit of a red flag to me...

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

There probably is something going on, given the odd oral behaviors and his acknowledgement that spitting is inappropriate yet lack of ability to change it (it's hard to change some behaviors, but it doesn't seem like spitting should be so difficult for most to restrain).

The parents probably aren't worried because it doesn't happen at home, so they're not seeing the gravity of it.

Have you talked to his kinder teacher? Are these things new?

As others have mentioned, it's a health hazard. What's going on with him needs to be determined in a safer environment.

11. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

I would contact the special education teacher at your school asap and schedule a child study team meeting to discuss these behaviors. If it's determined by the team that there are some serious issues with this student (and obviously there is) they should be able to bypass the whole RTI process and refer him for testing. I mean, if you do the whole child study team meeting you do have documentation that the special education referral was decided on as a TEAM, which is one of the main philosophies of RTI. Plus, I'm sure you've been documenting everything since day 1, which should be plenty of evidence.

12. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Mar 5, 2009

Thank you all

... for your msgs re: my spitter. Hearing your concern (which echoes mine and has mostly fallen on deaf ears at my school) makes me feel like I'm not losing my mind! I have known since Day 1 this kid should be getting more interventions, and it just doesn't seem to be happening. Special ed teacher does know about him, and just keeps encouraging the RTI documentation. I, too, often wonder why parents aren't hearing about this stuff from their kids; if my child was coming home with tales of spitting, rolling and numerous other things that go on in my room, I'd be in the principal's office pronto!

I will continue to document, push for more intervention, and I think I'm going to sound the alarm more loudly to our social work, SPED teacher and principal. Thanks to all for joining in.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 6, 2009

The first day I taught preschool, I had a child spit at me. I told her that since she wanted to spit, she could. I took her to the bathroom and told her to spit in the sink. I had her spit for a few minutes until she said she was done. She never spit at me again.

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Mar 6, 2009

2nd time- When you voice your concerns again to your principal, special ed, RTI, etc. I would be very specific in pointing out that the health hazards this child is creating is much more than just colds and flu, there are life threatening diseases as well. Point out that it opens the school to possible law suits. Maybe that will get their attention. Sad to say that the threat of suits (now you're talking money!, and/or bad publicity will usually get things done faster than doing what's best for the benefit of the child/children. That child is certainly in need of some help. I hope for everyone's well being someone will listen to you soon.
    Old teacher - that's what I've done! I give them a small cup or have them stand at the trash can. Funny how it doesn't usually take too long for them to 'go dry' and say they can't spit anymore. Definetly makes an impression!

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

I've done that. I'm turn into a wild woman if a kid spits on someone in my class. Haven't had that problem in years, but woe to the kid who does it in my classroom. Give him a wash cloth and make him start scrubbing your walls and floors. Tell him he's spreading germs with his spitting all over.
    Yea, that's the kind of teacher I am. Mind your manners or suffer the consequences. Here is the procedure:
    1. "Would you please quit spitting?"
    2. " When spit, you make me feel very upset and I am worried about getting sick or making your friends sick from all the germs.
    3. "ARE YOU GOING TO STOP SPITTING?" WHEN? YOU NEED TO STOP IMMEDIATELY AND IF YOU DON'T, I'M GOING TO ISOLATE YOU FROM THE REST OF THE CLASS. YOU WILL SIT ALONE AT A TABLE ALL DAY AND NO ONE WILL COME NEAR YOU. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?"

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 7, 2009

Hey Grammy teacher, did you change your name back? I had to use a new name--but was Blue.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

Yes I did!