Spirit days

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by alabama, Nov 3, 2016.

1. alabama

alabama Rookie

Nov 3, 2016

I'm wondering if the teachers on here can explain why they do or do not like school spirit days.

I'm a dad, so I find them annoying. Guys aren't into spirit (as a generalization). But I have a daughter that I'm responsible for, and want to make sure that I do what is important to her and the group that is part of.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2016

If you do a thread search you can find lots of posts on this topic a while back. It was an interesting discussion.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2016

You've posted about this before, alabama, and received quite a few responses; are you looking for different opinions this time?

5. alabama

alabama Rookie

Nov 3, 2016

Yes.

Last time I didn't yet have a kid in school, and was asking in anticipation. Now I have a kid in school, and it's real.

Last time was a whiny thread about how I didn't want to participate. This time I'm willing to participate but would like to get some perspective from those in school, so I can understand how involved I should be.

Again, I'm a guy so spirit days are a foreign concept to me.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 3, 2016

I don't know that this is true. Guys might not be into spirit in the way that you think of it, but a lot of boys enjoy dressing up in fun, themed outfits as much as girls do.

I'm not a huge fan of spirit days because they cause a distraction from academics. However, I don't specifically not like them. Spirit days make kids excited about going to school, and that's a good thing.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 3, 2016

We always have as many guys as girls dressed up for spirit days. Today is Salad Dressing day, so our seniors are Ranch (western wear) and juniors are Caesar (togas) and sophomores are Thousand Island (tropical) and freshmen are house (school colors.) It's so fun seeing everyone dressed up!

Similarly, most of our spirit section leaders are boys, and most of our flag runners are boys. We don't have any male cheerleaders, but most of our boys who are strong enough to qualify do other sports!

otterpop likes this.