Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Emma35, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2007

OK it is late and I am crabby. I am planning a trip in a few weeks and I am traveling on Spirit Airlines. I went to their site to make my seat assignments which they would not let me do because I did not book through them online. I booked through American Express. Then when I looked up my reservation it said I did not pay for my checked baggage. Apparently you now have to pay for any luggage you check!!!! I can't believe it!! I know, not a major problem, but it is the point. You pay a ton for a ticket and then they charge you extra to check your luggage!!!

3. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I'm sorry you're having problems. Could AE help you with the seat thing? They're always talking about how they do everything for their members. If not, focus on where you're going, not that you have to sit in a seat you don't want to get there.

And i didn't know about paying extra for bags. When I flew to Seattle last summer, I don't think American made me pay.

Anyway, I commiserate.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2007

No, I called AE and they said to just check in at the airport. That is fine with me. But charging extra for the luggage, that is just plain silly. This new rule takes effect I think June 20th.

5. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

As far as I know, Spirit is currently the only carrier who's charging for checked baggage. The idea behind it is that they can charge less for airfare if everything else is "a la carte." So, if you need to check a bag, it costs extra, but if you just have a carry-on, you can get a super-cheap ticket.

I think they're trying to do in the US what Ryan Air has done in Europe. Ryan Air often sells tickets for pennies (literally). They can do that because they charge extra for a la carte services like pillows and luggage handling. Spirit isn't there yet, but they do often have sales with $8 (one-way) tickets and the like.

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2007

I wish that were the case. We are paying $260. plus taxes per person PLUS the baggage costs. Doesn't seem like a deal to me.

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2007

The next thing you know they will be charging us to use the bathrooms.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

Better bring the TP just in case!!!;)

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2007

Will they give me oxygen to breathe? Or will I have to pay extra for that too!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

I'd bring the brown bag just in case!!!

11. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Yes, unfortunately, Spirit, unlike Ryan Air, hasn't yet reached the point where they can offer almost all of their flights for ridiculously low fares. Right now they're only doing it in spurts. (Although they usually have some sort of sale about one day each week - usually in the $25-each-way range). I suspect that they just don't quite have the business model worked out yet. Hopefully, though, they'll get it right and then we'll have a carrier that can get us where we need to go for an affordable price. I know I wouldn't mind paying extra for things like luggage handling if I got the ticket for a song! :D

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 20, 2007

Emma - Have you heard about the new airline here in Columbus? They just recently started operation - with fares as low as $10 a ticket! Check them out at www.skybus.com.

The Skybus Rules of Flying
    (A.K.A. How we keep our tickets so darn cheap.)
    1. Don’t pay for everyone else’s baggage.
    On Skybus, you pay only for what you check. The first two bags are 5 bucks apiece. After that, it’s $50 a bag (yeah, so pack smartly). Less baggage means faster turnaround and cheaper tickets. Fair deal?

2. Hungry? Thirsty? Bring cash.
    Most people love our full cocktail bar and food menu, but if you’re not into that, it won’t cost you a penny. Why should your ticket cost include your neighbor’s dinner? That also goes for blankets and pillows–which, by the way, you get to keep if you buy. Oh, and don’t sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the whole plane.

3. Bring a book.
    We’re not big fans of fancy in-flight entertainment systems. So grab that best seller at the airport, or buy a Sudoku puzzle onboard if you’re feeling brainy. You’ll touch down before you know it.

4. Don’t call us.
    We don’t have a phone number. Seriously. We’d love to chat, but those phone banks are expensive. And a good website like www.skybus.com is even more convenient.

5. Don't be late. We won't wait.
    Please arrive no later than 30 minutes before takeoff, or we’ll leave without you. Really. By that time, there won’t even be anyone to check your bag. It’s nothing against you–we just have to keep our flights on time, or things get expensive in a hurry.

6. Don’t expect an army of gate agents.
    You probably won’t see any agents at the gate until boarding time. Remain calm! Just print your boarding pass at www.skybus.com and relish in the savings.

7. Yeah, we’ve got preferred seats. Sort of.
    There are no fancy reclining beds onboard, but you can pay 10 bucks extra to board our brand-new A319 airplanes before anyone else.

8. Tickets are nonrefundable.
    Refunding a ticket costs everyone, so we don’t allow it. Of course, our tickets are so cheap it wouldn’t have been much of a refund anyway. If you need to change a ticket, your punishment for breaking a date with us is $40.

9. Bigger is not better.
    Big airports can be a big pain. We choose less crowded and more convenient secondary airports for better punctuality and, of course, lower prices.

10. No spontaneous dancing in the aisle.
    We realize you might be excited about paying a ridiculously low fare, but please refrain from any unbridled dancing onboard. This includes jumping for joy, disruptive cheering, and celebratory break dancing.

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2007

Glenda thanks for the link. They do not service Detroit but they do in Ohio so if the price is right the next time I fly I could drive down to Ohio. Hey, then I could stop by and visit you! I don't mind paying for the luggage but it did take me by surprise. I never heard of it until I checked their site. If it means lower plane fare then I am all for it.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 21, 2007

15. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Oh, yuk! :p That is truly horrible. I sat in front of a baby with a stinky diaper on a flight from Dallas to Austin, but that was just an hour. I can't imagine having sewage on the floor on a long flight especially while you're trying to eat an onboard meal.

I just told my son (who is an oriental food addict) about the Continental situation, and he said, "Were they serving a "Poo Poo platter?" Argh.

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 21, 2007

LOL!!! :p