Spire

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Nov 3, 2017.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2017

Our instructional coach keeps telling me I'm getting this (although I'll believe it when I see it :roll:). I'm just curious to see if anyone else has used it and found it to be effective? I keep complaining that we have no "real" tier 3 programming for kids with dyslexia. Is there a limit to how many kids can be in a group, and is there a specific amount of time that you're supposed to do the program for each day? In a previous school my P asked me to look at specific tier 3 programs and I had an extremely hard time finding anything that we could actually implement with fidelity given the resources we have- pretty much everything I looked at wanted a group of 1-3 (most of mine are 5-6) and wanted the kids to be doing the program for 60-90 minutes per day (I have 30 minutes).

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 6, 2017

I've heard the name being tossed around here but I don't know what it is.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 12, 2017

I've used it fairly extensively, and think it's good. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

Limit to # of kids in group: Not expressly (that I've seen), but this is no different than other guided reading groups - there is definitely such a thing as "too big."

Time: There may be a suggestion, but it's entirely possible to break things down into two instructional segments. All 10 lesson components probably take more time than the typical shorter reading group, so I've definitely done the first 5 in one session, then the second in the next. This may break fidelity, and could indeed decrease effectiveness because all 10 lessons are really built around teaching the phonics skills through multiple angles (written, in various connected text formats, etc.) so doing things in one sitting may be beneficial over not.

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion as you about the availability of T3 intervention packages that have some level of comprehensiveness. This was the best I could find without spending $12,000 on some of the other packages.

I'd also suggest that you can modify the program if you have the expertise to understand why things were created in SPIRE the way they were, which you do. In other words, if you need to add an additional lesson component (e.g., site words), or take out a step or two because a particular child/group is less in need of that, I think it's fine, unless you're planning on publishing your work in a peer-reviewed journal. In short, I don't think it's an all-or-nothing kind of thing.

Let me know if you have specific questions if you end up with it. Oh, and as an aside, it's nice because you can order individual items as you go - it's not like Wilson where you have to order the whole, complete package all at once.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2017

Thanks EdEd. I was told today that our materials actually arrived weeks ago and are currently sitting in a closet because now they don't know how/when they're going to get PD for the program:roll:. Is special training really required or is it something that could be easily picked up from the manuals? I did look at a sample lesson on the website and it was very similar to what I already do with my phonics groups. It would be nice to have materials that I don't have to create myself though!

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 30, 2017

You'll be totally fine. You'll know exactly what to do.