SPIRE

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoebottom, Jul 14, 2015.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 14, 2015

Has anyone used the SPIRE reading system? We are changing to this program when schools starts and I have never heard of it and I can't seem to find very much about it when I google it.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2015

I've used it and really liked it overall. It's very structured and even scripted (but you don't have to follow the script word-for-word). I find that it makes lesson planning VERY easy. Is your district offering a training for the program? I found that everything made a lot more sense and that I actually understood and appreciated the purpose of each step after having attended a training. If you are familiar with Orton-Gillingham methods, then you'll understand the steps of SPIRE pretty well. It's based on the same research.

4. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 14, 2015

We are having a one day training and I have heard about OG method but I don't much about it. Are there any extra websites that you use or know about to help me? I have found some supplemental things on TPT.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2015

Here is the scope and sequence: https://eps.schoolspecialty.com/EPS...s/products/spire/SPIRE_scope_and_sequence.pdf.

I really don't know of any websites to send you to. As you said, there isn't really much out there that is specific to SPIRE. If you google OG, then you'll probably develop a better understanding of the multi-sensory approach. Once you get the materials in your hands, I'd be glad to share with you some of the things I did to organize and make record-keeping easy, but I really don't know of any place to send you for further info right now. Most of my experience has been with levels 1 and 2 and also with Sounds Sensible (the pre-requisite for students to be instructed with SPIRE).