spiral/journals?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MrsM1, Aug 29, 2007.

1. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you keep journals or spirals for the content areas? How do you all organize? Label? Are there any ideas on how to keep them from becoming overwhelming?
    Thanks!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2007

I have a composition book for each subject. I stopped getting spirals because they fall apart more easily. I have a different color comp. book for each subject (50 cents at Target, many colors available.)

I color code them so all of the writing journals are black, reading orange, science green, math red and current events/social studies blue. I do writing in black because they are most likely to use more than one in a year, and the black are the easiest to replace, as they are available all year. The colored ones are usually only around in Aug./Sept.

I write the child's name and subject on the cover. Writing, math and Reading response are kept with the kids personal things, as all three are used daily. Science, and social studies are kept in a seperate place, everone's together- as we only use them when we are doing a unit. (I alternate science and ss units.) They have a binder for word study, since it it mostly hand outs and worksheets.

4. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 30, 2007

I have a Reader's Respons Journal, a Diary Spiral, a Writing Spiral, and a Math Spiral. I put stickers on them to tell them apart. The flower is Math, the star is RR....

5. happyteacher4

happyteacher4 Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

I use both Spirals and comp. notebooks. I buy labels and print them out on the computer for the different subjects.:up:

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2007

Right now, I had my kids bring in three spiral notebooks. One for readers workshop, one for writers workshop, and one for morning meeting. Our science program comes with a science notebook. Everything else is done on notebook paper that I ordered through the school.