Spinoff...How much $$ do you get from your school for back to school purchases?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by LMichele, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 6, 2013

My district is exceptional when it comes to ordering. I have both a general supply order as well as an equipment order. If I need it, I more than likely will get it. There is also a supply room that contains numerous items and if something runs out it is reordered. There is also unlimited copies that can be made. New York state has completed the common core units for ELA and math and each grade level teacher will be receiving the units or domains. They will be printed and bound for each of us. I consider myself extremely lucky.

2. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2013

Yes I get no $...we have a supply closet for consumables- chart paper, tape, loose leaf paper, sometimes you can get post-its, markers, highlighters but it's always low quality so I ask students to bring that stuff and then ask from the school if we run out.

Last year I did get reimbursed for like $150 but it was in like April. The money went right into our paychecks and then we had to find receipts to prove we'd spend the $150. It was a little backwards. Obviously we spent way more than that at the beginning of the year, but since I didn't get that money my first year I hadn't saved the receipts. So I used a couple months worth of Scholastic book orders. Actually, now that I think about it maybe it was only $50 or $100, I don't remember.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

For the past several years, we have received $250 in my district (which doesn't even begin to cover the costs), but I believe the district has decided to change that to $0 this year. :(

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 6, 2013

For those of you who get $100-$400 or whatever it is (I just can't believe some of these amounts!) do you ALSO get supplies provided, or does that money have to be used to purchase your office supplies? Or do parents provide a lot of it? I teach in a very low income school and we are not allowed to ask parents for supplies, which is why the school provides the basic things we need.

Someone mentioned copies - we DEFINITELY do not get unlimited copies. We get 1800 a month.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2013

At my first school we used our money for basic office supplies among other things...except copies, as we've never been limited to how much paper and ink/toner we use. At my second school, some basic supplies are provided in addition to classroom funds.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

With my $100, I have to replenish my supplies and student supplies, although sometimes my secretary will sneak me stuff. Our parents don't provide so much as a pencil. About 75% of our students are low income and about 20% are in care (group homes or foster homes). I know the students in care receive money for school so I don't understand why we can't request supplies from them.:2cents:

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

WOW! 1800 copies a month WOULD BE unlimited to me, lol! We get 300!

I'm also in a low-income (title I) school - we can ask, but parents don't have to (or often aren't able to) provide. My school has a very limited budget for supplies (or anything else, for that matter), so the rest is on me.

Our PTA? It's 90% teachers. $5 dues.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

This...every single word of it!

Must be a CA thing! :cool:

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

I should also add that we do not have to order basic supplies (staples, paperclips, tape, etc.) or copy paper with our budget money. We also provide a supply list, and most students bring everything on the list.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2013

We have an on-campus bookstore where we can pick up an unlimited number of supplies anytime during the year and we do not have to pay for them. You can get pens, pencils, paper, art supplies, binders, staplers, stickers, etc. You name it, you can probably find it there. I don´t know if that´s normal for private schools here but the last one I was teaching at had the same thing.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2013

We don't get supplies provided, except for copy paper. Kids have a supply list, but we have to order staples, tape, construction paper, whiteboard markers, etc. with the money we're given to spend.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2013

$200.00. My school has already asked what I have needed in changing over, though, and told me to make a list. However, I usually supply a lot of my own copies and printing at home, which can get costly.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

We get $500. Our secretary orders everything for us, we have to give a wish list, and they decide if it's coming from my budget and from somewhere else. For example I asked for a docucam, and as far as I know my P ordered it for me, but I really don't think it's coming out of my budget.

For some things that are better if purchased by me, I'll be reimbursed from the budget. (like my folders, they're $.50 each at Walmart, and more expensive in other places)

I feel lucky, I think $500 is a nice amount, but my classroom is also pretty stocked with office supplies (paper clips, staples, markers, tape, even some paper and pencils, a lot of arts and crafts stuff, etc)

14. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 6, 2013

When I first started 11 years ago, we got $350. Now, due to budget cuts, we get $0. However, our P always says if we need anything to let him know and he will get it for us. Anything but printer ink. We are expected to print to the copiers.

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2013

$0 at my private school.

When I was in public I got $100/year

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 6, 2013

We get $500 from the PTA, not the school. First year teachers get $1K.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 6, 2013

300?! Wow. We have many things that we make as a grade level - homework sheets, spelling test sheets, grammar homework, etc. then there are the copies for projects we do as a grade level. It disappears fast with all the mandatory grade level copies.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 6, 2013

Are you at a private school? I'm just curious because you're in CA and that is just SO high for CA.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 7, 2013

We used to get $200. Now we get $0. We get a certain number of copies each year for free, and after that we are charged $. 02 a copy. That number is determined by number of students and what we teach.

20. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2013

I didn't know

these things still happened. In my county in NC, we get $0. I don't even think anyone even considers doing something like that here, what with the pay freezes and now wanting to take away masters pay. The mindset seems to be take take take not give give give. But lucky to those who still get something.

21. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 7, 2013

This year it's zero...

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 7, 2013

I started a spinoff for the copies. It's funny, considering this was a spinoff, too. It's crazy how there are vast differences everywhere... :( Some places have had to take MAJOR budget cuts.

23. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 7, 2013

I do pull-out reading, so I don't get any supplies for parents and they're not really needed. Last year when I was allowed to place a big school order since I was new I asked for 800 crayons, 12 glue sticks & scissors, & 700 pencils. I barely used 10% of it, so I'm good on supplies for a while.

I use my $200 for all of my needs. Last year I bought all my room decorations, incentives, and items for my desk. Everything is still in pretty good condition, so other than replacing some bulletin board paper and pens for myself, I think I'm going to use it to buy some storage and games.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 7, 2013

The school has a closet full of basic office supplies that we can take from. They keep dry erase markers, chart paper, paper clips, pencils, and other basics.

Anything else I usually get at penny sales or Wal-Mart. I can stock my whole class for like $25 usually, and that'll come out of my $250 allowance.

Again, this is all based on this past year. I really don't think things are going to go as well this year with the budget cuts. :eek:hmy:

25. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2013

Yes, but some of these run out by mid to late 3rd quarter.

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 7, 2013

It's public. The PTA is very generously funded.

27. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 7, 2013

Zero. Although our PTO usually gives us $50 to use as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.