Spinoff from the 5-guy-7 post

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 17, 2015.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 17, 2015

If some of your students were having a non-school-function dance recital, but they didn't tell you about it, meaning you weren't invited, and then you find out about it, would it be OK to show up unannounced and just watch their performances? Or, as teachers, do we just go to stuff they're in that is only affiliated with a school function?

To be honest, I would have liked to attend that recital that was held yesterday but I didn't know about it. I would have considered it had I known. :)

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 17, 2015

In NC it would help us get a high rating on our evaluations. Years ago when our new system rolled out I was asking why I got a certain rating, maybe proficient instead of accomplished, who knows. But the evaluator, who was leading the charge in our district for this new system, explained that going to school games and performances is part of the job, even if it is after hours. It is attending recitals, plays and such that aren't school-sponsored that shows you're committed to knowing and supporting your students.

I'll go if it doesn't take too much away from my family. In terms of time or money. A lot of the time those extras have a ticket price associated with it.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 17, 2015

I would say no, it's not okay to just show up. If it's a school function, then, sure, go. If you're invited by the parents to a non-school function, then, sure, go.

If you receive no invitation, or an invitation only from the student, for a non-school-affiliated event, I'd stay far away, especially if you are male.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 17, 2015

How would the person evaluating you even know if you were going to non-school-sponsored events? It seems like that would be difficult to track and wouldn't be fair to include on your evaluation, unless they had a really good system in place. I also don't think that's entirely fair to evaluate you as a teacher based on your willingness to attend students' after-school event. You might be an excellent teacher who just happens to have your own life outside of school.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 17, 2015

Most of the things we are evaluated on are difficult to track. We'd have to submit evidence (that we are expected to collect throughout the year) to prove that we deserve a higher rating. If I felt this was important enough, I could simply keep a program from the event for my proof.

Most of our evaluation system isn't "fair." We're evaluated on our students' standardized test scores. Our highest evaluation rating is only available to those that are actively teaching other educators those skills. It is impossible for anyone to be at the highest rating for every parameter. Sadly, it has also been said that if you are at the highest rating for multiple parameters they do not want you in the classroom but instead in administration leading other teachers.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 17, 2015

I see no reason why you should not attend an event if it is open to the public. I have attended many such events in my teaching career and in no way have I had any adverse affects. I've attend Eagle Scout ceremonies, award ceremonies where students received recognition for community service, moving up ceremonies in brownies and Girl Scouts and even a college graduation of a student I mentored. The smiles I received from the students seeing me there were priceless. I did not do it to "show off". I did it because I wanted to.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 17, 2015

I've shown up to events that kids have told me about, but an event they didn't tell me about but I found out about anyway? No.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 17, 2015

That sounds like a good answer all-around. On a related note, I was invited by a student to attend a rodeo that he was participating in. He even gave me an advertisement. It's too far from my house so I won't go but I could only imagine his reaction if he saw me there! :D

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 17, 2015

How far away should I stay? Hah hah! That was meant as sarcasm but the real question is this: I understand staying away but why emphasize "far away"?

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 17, 2015

No real reason. That's just how it came out in my writing, I guess. Staying away is enough. It doesn't need to be far. ;)

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 17, 2015

:lol:

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 17, 2015

I have students who invite me to their baseball games, their play performances, and other public events. I often attend these and their parents are aware of that. I often bring my wife along as well. I always try to be consistent with this. If a girl asks me to attend her softball game and a boy his baseball game, I am going to both or I am going to neither.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 17, 2015

Yeah. Don't go if you're not invited. It just seems stalker-y.

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 17, 2015

I'm biased toward the performance arts so I try to attend the school-affiliated plays and chorus programs. I've had a band student wanting me to go to the band concert but I said I normally go to chorus shows and plays. :)

Next year, I will try to attend a football game as the 7th graders then I would have already taught.

16. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

May 17, 2015

I wouldn't go if I wasn't invited.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 17, 2015

It seems "stalker-y" to be involved in the lives of your students?

Then call me a stalker and fire me.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 17, 2015

I wouldn't go unless my own children were involved, or my family wanted to attend.

But that's not because I didn't care about my students. It's because I fiercely protect my private time, and I don't believe in giving up time with my own family to watch someone else's.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 17, 2015

I've gone to non-school related events that my students were in. Most of them were open to the public, and many of them were performances that I would likely attend even if my students weren't in them. I've also been invited by students to come to their family graduation parties (not teen parties, but mostly crawfish boils actually...) My husband and I always try to attend if we are invited.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 17, 2015

This.

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 17, 2015

If you just show up at something specifically for one child that the parents didn't tell you about, that the kid didn't tell you about, and you found out from some other source? Uh... yeah, that does sound kind of stalkery.

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 17, 2015

I teach kinder so my kids tell me everything they do. I have gone to recitals, basketball games, football games, baseball games. I have even attended birthday parties. The public events such as the games I would probably go to even if they didn't tell me. The parties I only go if I am invited by a parent, not just the kid saying please come.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 17, 2015

Is it an event you would attend even if you didn't have a student participating?

24. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

May 17, 2015

:yeahthat:

25. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 18, 2015

Agreed. School functions are a given. Show up for those!

But yeah...things outside of school...proceed with caution.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 18, 2015

Agreed. This weekend, I did show up at a non-school function to meet a student there. However, she and her parents requested my presence, and I wound up talking with the parents even more than with the student. If she hadn't invited me to the event, I would have wished her the best and asked her later how it went. That's it.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 18, 2015

A music teacher I once had showed up at a non-school related event that another student and I were participating in. She was coaching the other student on weekends so that's why she showed up. It was music related so if she just showed up anyway I wouldn't have thought anything of it. If my chemistry teacher showed up at my ballet recital without having anything to do with the event and was not particularly invited? I would have thought it strange. Just let it go. Some posters seem to have an obsession with being the "favorite" teacher but there's a line between being involved in students' outside interests and just plain creepy.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2015

I think it seems creepy to attend an event to which you were not specifically invited and which you are attending specifically to see the student who did not invite you.

If it's a public event and you just happened to see a student there, that's fine.

I've been invited to lots of non-school-related performances, usually dance groups. These performances have always been at public events and huge festivals that are open to the public, like the Pinoy Pride festival or something. When it's something that I would be interested in attending anyway, I am happy to show up and support my students as they perform. I make sure to find their parents and congratulate them, too.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 18, 2015

I also think one thing that makes a difference is a little detail in the original question--is it one of your students, or several? If several students are involved in something like a dance recital that is open to the public, I think that's totally okay. Of course, I live in a small town, so everyone knows when those kind of events happen and it's fairly common for teachers to attend things like that.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 18, 2015

Even when kids asked me, I would say that I couldn't go to one student's event because it would be unfair if I didn't go to everyone's events - and there wasn't enough time to go to all of them.

31. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

May 18, 2015

In my town there is a large dance studio. I took lessons there myself all through school and am still friendly with several of the instructors. They have major performances several times a year and students from every school and all grade levels in our (fairly small) district are in these performances. A friend and I have made a tradition out of going to the Christmas performance (which is always the Nutcracker) and I saw several of my students there this year. They were all excited to see me and it wasn't weird.

I know this may be a slightly different situation since I have a history with this dance studio that precedes my teaching career, but for what it's worth I also saw at least half a dozen fellow teachers there.

32. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 18, 2015

I would have been watching maybe 5-10 former and current students of mine during their annual dance recital.