Spin off to weight gain post

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TemperanceFaith, Aug 31, 2008.

1. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

Why don't we do our own Biggest Loser, or at least start a weight loss buddy system/support thread?

I joined the YMCA a couple of weeks ago, and they closed for cleaning right when I joined, of course,lol. But they are reopening next week and I am planning to get there as much as time and schedule allows.

I would love to work together with those of you who would be interested as well, and we can support each other through it.

Maybe we can post what our goals are, and share recipes, etc.?

3. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Im in! I really need to get on track with eating healthier and exercising more!

dbelmo

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

I think there was a group like this back in January on the Chit Chat board. I wasn't involved in it, though. Not sure what ever came of it.

I think I'd probably participate if someone organized a new one!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2008

We did have a thread back in Jan when that round of Biggest Loser was on. I would definitely be in if we did it again.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

Yes, we had it going. Turned out rather sad. Let's try again!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

I'm In!

8. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Great idea- I need something to motivate me!!

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

I lost over 100 lbs. and kept it off for about 3 years, then hit a very tough school year and gained back 30 lbs! I've lost about 6 of that but it is sad to me that those cute clothes I bought don't fit now. So I would love someone to organize something.

10. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

I like this idea!! I need to lose about 20-30 lbs. I did really well at the end of last school year, but this summer I slacked!!!

11. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

Ok, I will work on the specifics, and if whoever organized it the last time can help me, I would like that.

I am going to start off with a little history and then my goals.

I have always been curvy, but was in shape. I always had a good metabolism and worked out and danced until I had my third child. Then everything went out the window,:lol:

I went from a size 12 to now a size 18. At one point I was a 20, so I have lost some weight.

I would like to get back to that 12, but will be happy in a 13/14.

It is not my eating so much as it is my lack of exercise, though I do have some vices like ice cream and peanut M&M s. :cool:

I joined the Y and even though my schedule is full, even if it is 5 am, I am going to at least ride the stationary bike a few times a week, or swim laps.

I am a coffee and diet coke addict and need to start drinking more water.

Thats all for now that I can think of.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008

About 5 years ago, I stopped worrying about my weight (at the time I was 6' and 230 lbs. Much more overweight than I wanted to be. Not active either.

I started swimming and lost about 20 pounds.

Instead of the number on the scale, I concentrated on the numbers on my bike computer, my stopwatch and the pace clock at the pool. In other words, my focus became things like how fast I could swim 400 yards or my average speed on my 14 mile bicycle commute to work. Also, things like how I felt after swimming a mile, biking 100 miles or doing a triathlon. Another favorite goal is to see how long I can go without driving to work. My current record is about 60 days.

On one hand, I haven't lost any more weight. I still weigh about 210 pounds. On the other hand, I haven't gained any weight either. It's the longest I've gone without gaining any weight in my entire life. I used to go in a cycle where I'd spend about two years gaining weight, and then lose about 30 pounds and start back up again.

Sure, 210 probably isn't the ideal weight for me, but it's way better than the 230-240 which I used to hit every few years.

My best advice is to find an activity that you love doing to the point that if the doctor told you to quit doing it, you would find a different doctor. That's how much I like cycling and swimming. If I found out that these activities made me gain weight, I'd still do them.

13. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

I have always been curvy too. I'm tall 5'8 and I think the best weight for me was 140-150, and a size 8. I guess I started gaining a little weight in college, but then I lost it. I think I gained a lot in 2006, and when I first started teaching. I am now 170-175 and a size 12-14. :(

I started going to the gym again last December, and was consistent and working out a lot. I felt better and def. toned up a bit, but wasn't losing as much as I wanted. My eating habits were just not that good I think.

I eat late at night. I like healthy foods like veggies, fruit, and water, but I also crave junk. This summer I totally stopped exercising :( and feel flabby again. I'm going to start going back to the gym consistently. It's easier when I have work to fit it into my routine. I love working out. Now i just have to work on cutting out the junk and late night binges!!!

I'm going to try Jillans 30 day Shred also. it's a good 30 min workout. That and the gym 4-5 times a week.

14. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

I'll jump in..

I am 5'5, 135 lbs. Yeah, I don't have that much to lose but I was 120 pre-pregnancy and I want to get back to that. I don't really want to focus on the numbers on the scale as much as I want to see the result in my body. I just want to tone up my mid-section, thighs and arms.

I have taken up running for cardio, but haven't really started toning. My problem is sodas and late night eating, and sometimes eating out too much for a span of time.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2008

I'm SO in...

I'm 5'1" and have been as heavy as 165 and as light as 118, but that low weight was after working with and then FOR LA Weight Loss. Unfortunately, the diet isn't that great at helping you keep the weight off over time (plus working for them paid so little that I was only eating their protein bars that I got for free).

At this point, I'm about 145 and am 36 years old. My gym membership has been horribly underused for the past year, but I'm hoping that I can again afford to work with my trainer. He's a great motivator! I'm also buying a bicycle within the next month since this is an extremely bike-friendly town.

My eating habits are horrible because I hate to cook. I panic whenever I try to fix dinner and wind up with meat that's either raw inside or horribly overcooked and rubbery. Thanks to this, I tend to either use those "just add meat" things that are high in salt or I just eat a bowl of rice with soy sauce.

I actually look okay in terms of my body shape, but it's my health that scares me. Three of my grandparents had at least one heart attack and my father managed to luck out with a triple angioplasty about a week before he would have had one. My mother has fought obesity all her life and (GO MOM) has lost twenty-five pounds. However, she has another seventy to go.

Yup, I'm definitely in.

16. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

I've got my mom's curves, but also the weight. I'm really short, only 4'9''. I was 149 in May :eek: and I'm 138 now. I need to get my weight down for health reasons. I eat much better now, but it's getting the motivation to move more.

The most frustrating part is that I have an adrenal gland condition that does effect how I lose weight....it's very difficult to lose anything.

I joined First Place which is all about support and a balanced lifestyle.

I'm in!

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

If you were to start using the bike for every trip or errand that it is humanly possible to make with a bike, I'll be the weight would come off. If not, you will at least feel better and healthier.

The money you save in gas might be enough to cover the personal trainer.

PM me if you want some reliable bike buying advice. That is if I just don't post it here later on today.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2008

I've done some test rides and will probably pick up the Townie. It's a perfect fit for my short legs and can get me all over the city.

19. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

About two years ago I stopped worrying about my weight as well, unfortunately I didn't start focusing on anything else. Now the scale is 40 lbs heavier. I definitely need a support group and some motivation to lose weight.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

I joined last time and lasted 3 weeks. I now work only 5 minutes from my gym (that includeds parking time too), so I have no excuse. I visited the gym 3 weeks ago thinking that I would have started the 2nd week of school. I am now on my 3rd week of school and haven't seen the door of the gym... I am going today though:D!

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

My friend asked me to go to a dance class at the gym today. I guess I should have asked what type it was before agreeing. It is a Pussycat Dolls dance class:eek:. Wiggling my fat in front of people, is not my idea of fun:whistle:.

22. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

I'll jump in. I'm about 5'4" and currently about 154. I hit a high of 160 a year and a half ago, got serious on WW and dropped 20 pounds, but did no exercise. Obviously I gained most of the weight back. In June my DH (also at a high weight) and I joined a gym. He's been working with a personal trainer - I did two sessions with one, but it's not so much my thing. I did discover that I really liked the water exercise class, and I did that several times over the summer during the day. The challenge now is to get used to going to a class at six in the evening.

23. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

I have seriously wanted to try seomthing like this!

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2008

I wish some of you lived near me so I wouldn't have to try cardio kickboxing alone on Thursday night. At any rate, will everyone PLEASE encourage me to go this time rather than blowing it off as I have for the past two months?

25. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

catnfiddle-you will LOVE kickboxing!! I used to do it in HS with some friends of mine. We had so much fun and it really is a great stress reliever!

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

No matter how much I complain about them, I love taking cardio kickboxing and bootcamp classes. I am going to just focus on cardio for a few weeks though before adding in weights. Towards the end of September I am thinking of getting about 15hrs. worth of personal training. My bootcamp class is in another gym and with the price of gas, I may have to wait until November to go back:(.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2008

Okay, I will get out of bed early tomorrow and Wednesday and do at least a half hour of cardio before my classroom hours start. That way I can get through a class without feeling like my heart will explode. Hopefully, my once and future trainer will be there to bother as well.

I'll check in tomorrow morning to report that I followed through. Thanks for making me accountable!

28. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Sep 1, 2008

I would love to join also! I am definitely overweight! Recently I had to take steriods for a health problem and easily gained over 40 lbs. It has been extremely hard to lose it since stopping the steroids. I definitely need to have a jump start and a kick in the pants to start exercising and eating healthy!!

29. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 1, 2008

what a good idea

I'd love to join in as well! :) I've been yo-yo exercising for the past year and just can't seem to keep myself motivated through the plateaus, although I haven't really exercised since June.

I'm 5'4 and 130 pounds. It doesn't sound like much, but you take into consideration that I have a very small bone structure, the weight is too much. Even my doctor mentions that as well, that I am a tad overweight for my size. In college (5 years ago), I used to run 3-4 miles a day and that's just for starters. I was about 105 pounds then, but a little skinny imho. I looked healthiest when I was about 110-115, so my goal is to lose 15 pounds.

I don't really eat terrible anymore. We eat out about 1-2 times a week compared to 4-5 in the past. I do have desert 3-4 times a week (weight watcher's desert). I eat a lot of fruit, vege's, and some nuts too.

I really enjoy walking, and sometimes, jogging. I bought an exercise ball so that I can do crunches and exercises while I'm watching t.v. I have dumbbells as well.

I have a good reason for wanting to get back into shape. We're trying to conceive next Spring, so I want to have a healthy body. I guess I've just gotten depressed now. I hate the fact that none of m clothes fit anymore, that I refuse to wear a swimsuit, that my dh keeps mentioning my "pooch" and my "flubber" arms. You would think that would motivate me, right? Wrong. It just makes me feel worse and I look for the nearest outlet, which is food. I'm an emotional eater. When I'm stressed, I crave sweets. When I'm tired or sad, I go straight for the cake and comfort foods like mashed potatoes with gravy. I suppose sweets and sweet tea is my downfall.

My goal is to lose 15 pounds. I just can't seem to motivate myself to get moving, so maybe having some fellow friends on here who are look for motivating and motivate as well will help. :) I'd feel guilty, if I came on here and everyone was talking about how they exercised today. It would make me want to go do the same too! I think exercise buddies would be a great idea!

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 1, 2008

I want to join, too.

I used to bike approximately 50 miles a week. Then, I moved to a non-bike friendly town. :( I miss my bike rides, so much! Riverside trails, they were so great!

I've lost tone in my core and legs and arms, and I've put on weight. I'm currently a size 8 and want to get back to a 6.

My energy level is in the bucket. My doc and I are working on thyroid hormones, but we haven't figured it out, yet. The pills cause me to sweat like a hog, too. Bluh. So, I'm going to need help with motivation to exercise! I've got 2 dogs that I walk, and they would probably like to run, too. If I could double-duty the dog exercise with my exercise, that would be great!

31. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

I'm starting my detox tomorrow. With the stress of my new classroom I've managed to pack on 7ish lbs in 3 weeks. I chalk most of that up to stress because I've been eating OK and exercising 3-4 times a week.

Hopefully this Biggest Loser thread will last longer than the last one.

32. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I started Weight Watchers AND exercising (which I've never really gotten into but I have a stationary bike that is sort of working out for me now) and I'm down 9 pounds after about 5 or 6 weeks on it. And I found out a teacher at my school is on it and we go to the same meetings so it's kind of cool.

Anyways, slowly but surely...looking to lose 100 pounds. Sounds insane and intense. I'll keep you posted....

To the person who posted they lost 100 lbs....how did you do it?

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

The last one just came to a slow and painful hijacked death:D.

34. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I'd like to try this! I spend last summer on the couch eating junk food and when I tried on my school clothes in September, nothing fit! I've lost a little weight since then, but I'd love to drop about 25 lbs and get back into a healthy range (I don't think I was quite there before my ice cream addiction).

I'm going to start going to the fitness center in my complex after school this week. I'm about 150 now.

Good luck to everyone!

35. ginasparkles

ginasparkles Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Hello Everyone!! I am 5'1 and 155. I am seriously over weight. I would like to make it to between 125-130. That is the ideal weight for me. In college I packed on a lot of pounds and now its time to get it off.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2008

So, should we start a new Biggest Loser thread in Chit-Chat and get things officially going? Last time weigh-ins were on Wednesdays I believe, which I think works well. We can post our weight each Wednesday, officially beginning this Wednesday, and then of course offer more information as desired.

I really need to do this. I have gained several pounds since the beginning of our last Biggest Loser attempt. :(

37. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

You and me both!

38. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

39. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 2, 2008

I need to lose some too and just can't the motivation or the momentum going.