Spiders!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ChristyF, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2006

Amanda, we have those in our basement now and then.....I HATE them! But now that I read about them(thanks!,) I like them a bit better!!!!!!!!!
    Bored of Ed, yes I have 3 fat cats that are inside and outside cats and I love them waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooo much!!!!!

2. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2006

Amanda,

I would highly recommend that you KILL all Brown Recluses. They are very dangerous. They have a venom which eats the body tissue very slowly. These spiders deserve to DIE! I used to live in South Texas and i'm very familiar with these type of spiders.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher

3. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jun 16, 2006

I was bitten by a brown recluse when I was in high school. I went to the emergency room the next night and they gave me steroids to take. It went away, and I don't have a scar. My husband was bitten while he was in New Orleans restoring power from the hurricane. He had to go to the hospital, and they gave him a steroid or antibiotic shot (I'm not sure which one) directly in the bite. Then, they gave him an antibiotic to take. I think that I was bitten by a baby spider, but he was bitten by a large one. He had a much larger, more irritated spot, but he doesn't have a scar either. I still don't like them though. However, they are everywhere. I guess that it is just something that you get used to looking out for.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2006

I am having problems with spiders this year too!!!!! Yesterday I killed 5 within 2 hours! Hmmmm.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

I was crashed on the couch reading about 2:30 this morning. I kept brushing my hair off my shoulder and then realized I had a little spider (legs and all maybe the size of a penny) crawling around. He would sit in one place then crawl over as my hair or hand came near. Hmmm...maybe he wanted to catch up on Harry Potter, too! :D I got him on my bookmark and stuck him outside on the porch.

6. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

Those pictures may be the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 25, 2006

I could not live in my house if a tarantula got loose. I'd be constantly looking all around & watching where I step, & then looking around to see if it were coming toward me! And trying to sleep at night? Forget about it!! I'd stay at a hotel until it was caught. In the back of my mind, I'd worry if it laid eggs in the house!

8. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jun 25, 2006

We have just had a TON of rain down here in Texas, and the spiders are going nuts. That's when they like to come inside. I have to say - we have those rather large roaches in my state, and I'd take spiders over thoses roaches any day. We don't get those tree roaches out where I live because I have no trees! I'd much rather the spiders...

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 25, 2006

Oh good Lord. I would rather have spiders lining the wall than a roach. I have my feet on my desk just reading yours. I have a HUGE phobia about roaches. We get those nasty flying ones down here that look like you could put a saddle on them. *shudder* I have been known to jump over furniture to get away from them.

10. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Jun 25, 2006

Did you know that a symptom of Lyme's Disease is increased frequency of spider bites? I wouldn't know, except my mom has it.

And one of my friends is married to a Terminix guy, who told me that if you put down glue traps, they're the best for catching spiders because they'll see a spider body and get on there to try to eat it...

Just be sure to put them down somewhere like under dressers, nightstands, etc... because I had a kiddo come to school and tell me about how Pickles, his long-haired cat stepped on one... it was the funniest story I've ever heard.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2006

First, I hate snakes.
    Second, I hate spiders.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2006

I especially hate it when I see a spider descending from it's web in the middle of the room. :eek: I swat it by clapping a pair of my shoes together.

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 2, 2006

I get bitten by small spiders every summer. They usually leave small red bites that last for a few days. The bites often itch terribly. I had one bite that swelled up on my back and did not heal for 2 weeks. I am worried that eventually I will have an allergic reaction. Terry G.

14. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Jul 2, 2006

Terry, Something to try the next time you get bit is icthamol (I'm not sure about the spelling). You should be able to ask your pharmacist for it, because it won't be out front. It's kind of tarry, and yucky looking, but it helps spider bites heal faster, and a tube of it should probably last you a lifetime.

15. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 2, 2006

Spider Remedy

Lainie, thank you for the advice. I will get it soon. Terry G.

16. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

I hate it when I see a big spider in my bedroom, and when I go to get some insect spray and come back it is gone!!!! I make my husband search for it and make sure it is dead before I go to bed. (i usually end up having nightmares about them)