Spiders!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2010

I DESPISE spiders!
    What kind(s) do you get in your home/area?
    What's the most you killed in a day?
    What's the scariest story you hv regarding a spider?

I hardly ever see a blk widow, even in our garage & nev IN the house. We get those small, dk brown/black spiders (that I hope are harmless) & daddy long legs. Thank God we don't get brwn recluses. Twice, there was a lg fuzzy grey/brownish spider in the house.

I think 4 were killed in one day...just recently.

I fear one may come down on a web on my head when I'm sitting at the computer or sleeping. Fortunately, it's never happened. Once in a blue moon, I've seen a tiny, tiny spider almost hard to see coming down on it's web in front of my face. :eek:

Once yrs ago, I stepped on a small one w/ my bare foot!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2010

Interesting that you should bring up this topic. I'm being treated right now for a spider bite. They think it was a brown recluse. The treatment is horrendous, but it's getting better!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2010

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2010

Spiders don't especially freak me out. I figure that anything that eats mosquitos is a friend of mine!

Of course, I've never come into contact with anything particularly scary.

But give me a spider over a rodent any time!!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

It's normally wolf spiders that I get. When I first moved in here it had been empty for a few months. There were HUGE wolf spiders running around, now I get one from time to time, but not often. They startle me because they are so fast an aren't afraid to run at you, but from everything I have read they aren't dangerous. I can take spiders, even the large ones all day, just don't get near me with a roach. I have been known to jump over furniture and push others out of the way to get away. It's a phobia of mine.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2010

I have SOOOO many spiders! The thing I hate more than anything is that they made such messes. Spider webs are clingy, and spider poo is nasty. We'll not even mention the dried up bug shells. Gross!

If a spider is HUGE, it has to go . . . or at least stay away from me. Anything that jumps at me or comes at me is pushing it's luck.

I was once bitten by a brown recluse. We were on vacation , and it was in my bed. It bit me right above the knee. It was a painful bite, and I lost a chuck of my leg around the bite. Yuck. The scar is still there, even after almost 20 years!

This spider was in my back garden. It was too big for me to tangle with, and it was kind of pretty. I made a deal with it. I told it that I'd let it live as long as it stayed far away from me.

[​IMG]

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 1, 2010

Oh ick.

I don't know what kind of spiders we have, but they are fat and icky. They have 500 babies at a time! If they enter my home they are dead.

Most I have killed in a day - probably, seriously, about 6,000 counting babies/sacs. We had our entire house treated and they were dropping all over the place! Hurray for us. (My sister picks up spiders on a piece of paper and puts them outside. Huh?)

Weirdest story - I was getting ready to take a shower. Got undressed and decided to use the toilet first. So I am sitting there in my birthday suit, reading, and a spider bounces down right in front of my face! I AM NAKED! I was so shocked then furious -it came in through the ceiling fan. I very quickly grabbed some t.p. and took hold of the web and flushed that baby. What a nerve!

Cockroaches - when I lived in Texas for 2 years, I got so sick of them. I graduated from screaming and freaking out to killing them with my bare hands. Yes.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

I had one of these on my back porch forever. I got to watch it molt several times. Then one morning I walked out and it was dead. Not sure what happened.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

Spiders don't bother me like snakes do (see my snake hole post. lol) But I don't particularly like them either. Except Daddy Long Legs. I will actually let them crawl on my hand.

We have a spider in the garage right now who likes to build webs from the ceiling to the floor every night and then I walk into them in the morning. I named him Archie. BF and I have both told Archie that he needs to earn his keep or he is out on his butt - I have flies all over the house but there is never anything in his web. If he isn't catching anything, he is going to get an eviction notice.

I did have some giant brown disgusting spider in my classroom one time. I opened the filing cabinet by my desk and he was chilling there. I screamed in front of the whole class and slammed the drawer and didn't open it again for about 3 months. lol. When I finally opened it again, I found him smashed in between from file folders - looking pretty much the same just totally flat and dried up. lol. When I moved last year and was packing, i found a leg still in there. I left it for the next person. lol

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2010

As a child I had so many nightmares about spiders. True, severe nightmares. Lots of crying, lots of panicking, lots of near sleepless nights. Living in a farm house, I was terrified to fall asleep afraid they would find me...and of course, sometimes they did. I still dislike spiders, but if I see them before they see me, I'm fine. But when I see something moving in the corner of my eye and look down to see a spider on my shoulder, I will freak out. But I very, very rarely kill spiders...just can't. If I did it would be in a moment of panic without thinking and I'd feel bad. Catch and release.

My father-in-law had a major brown recluse infestation while I practically lived there several years ago. I really don't want to talk about it beyond that. Ridiculous.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

We have brown wolf spiders that live around/on the pier. They are huge and disgusting. I don't know if they bite, and I don't want to find out. I usually squish them with my paddle......ewwww

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

I don't like spiders, at all.
    They give me heebies.

We have brown recluse and black widow. And, all kinds of others (the yellow and black ones, the ones with fat butts, the ones that look like a brown recluse, wolf, trantula).

Bluh.

Done typing about this, my skin is crawling.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 2, 2010

I don't get many spiders in my house but if I do I just kill them (i'm freaked out for about 2 seconds then I get over it and stomp it lol). If I see one outside I usually leave it alone unless it's near my dog. I do really hate bees, though. I have been stung a number of times. I'm so glad i'm not allergic!

15. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

I'm a guy if that was ever a question. I'm not afraid of spiders and I don't particularly hate them nor do they make me squeamish. But if one gets on me, I'll do the crazy chicken dance to get it off.

Here's why. When I was about twelve, I was walking in my Dad's yard, the cultured part. I swept some draped weeping willow limbs out of my way. When I did this, a neon green spider, smaller than a dime, rushed out of the leaves and bit my middle finger. The bite wasn't painful and it didn't even itch. However, there was a lot of swelling and a large pus filled sore.

The lesson, there's not a single spider out there that is not venomous. All of them are to some degree. Some are deadly and others hardly worse than a bee sting. If a seemingly innocuous, harmless unknown spider's poison can do that, I don't think I want to test out the billions of other kinds. I'll do the crazy chicken dance.

Another time, I was very tired after pulling some long hours in the studio. I lay on the couch because I didn't want to take the time to walk to the bedroom. Instantly, I was asleep or so very near that I thought I was. Then this little spider crossed my arm. Supine to standing erect in less than half a second, I was awake and ready for another 8 hours in the studio. The adrenaline that day was better than coffee.

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

Securis that is funny, although I know not for you. But in my mind I saw you doing the chicken dance, and I don't blame you one bit!
    I'll take coffee over that any day.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

My house is a bit more buggy than I'd like. I see spiders almost every day, though they're all small and quite unobtrusive. They stick to corners by themselves.

Much more horrifying. . .

[​IMG]

They come at night, sometimes apparently to steal some of whatever snack you're munching while watching TV. And surprise, surprise -- some of them fly. Through the air. With all the grace and predictability of a blind, wounded duck.

18. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 2, 2010

:lol: 3Sons, you made my day with your description. I am laughing so hard right know because I'm picturing how it would look in the air.

I'm not a big fan of spiders but usually I move the small ones outside Except for the small hairy ones that jump at me- I just leave them alone. It drives me nuts that these little bitty spiders are trying to attack me and that I am intimidated by them- I get the broom and keep my distance. :lol:

I haven't seen a big spider in apartment, thank goodness. I am not a big fan of the big hairy spiders. I am an animal lover at heart but I can not have a pet tarantula. I would rather have a lizard or snake as a pet rather than a spider. I love snakes and lizards.

The kicker about my discomfort about spiders- I have a spider web tattoo on my ankle to remind myself to face my fears. I may get a colorful, non-hairy small spider tattooed dangling from the web. :dizzy: :whistle: :lol:

19. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

I hate spiders too!!! But DH will not let me kill them. So if there is one in the house, I scream and get DH and he picks them up and lets them loose in the backyard. Totally different story if he is not home... :Evil grin:

Scariest spider story? I saw a spider near a vent in my house one day and DH wasn't home. So I grabbed a can of spider/insect killer spray and grabbed a chair to stand on. I got on the chair so the vent was about a foot away from my head/face and sprayed... Can you see where this story is going??!!

Well... FIVE GAZILLION spiders come hanging down from the vent!! Turns out a mama spider laid five gazillion eggs in the vent and they all hatched and one of them went on an adventure when he was spotted.

Gah! I still get nightmares!!