Spider Snack

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by AMK, Oct 4, 2006.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 4, 2006

I am going to spend a few days with the kids learning about spiders. We will read some stories, read a Weekly Reader, do a spider craft and I want to make a spider snack. ANyone have one???

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 4, 2006

Make Chocolate Spiders
    We call these 'spiders' and they are yummy!!

You Need
    Large block of Milk Cooking Chocolate
    2 Tablespoons of Crunchy Peanut Butter
    1 Packet of Chang Noodles
    Some dessicated coconut

1. Melt the cooking chocolate slowly in a saucepan, stirring as it melts.
    2. Mix the peanut butter (you can warm the peanut butter first) with chocolate.
    3. Mix the melted chocolate and peanut butter, with coconut, pour over the noodle mixture. Be careful not to break up the noodle sticks.
    4. Put them in spoonful sized dollops on greaseproof paper and let them set.

4. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 4, 2006

Spider Snack, yum

During my student teaching we made this spider snack.

Each child got one oreo, two pieces of licorice (the stringy kind), a little glob of peanut butter, and 2 m and m's.

The child gently took the oreo apart, tore the two pieces of licorice and laid all four pieces across the oreo, and then put the oreo back together. They then put the peanut butter on two spots on top of the oreo and put the 2 m and m's on top of the peanut butter. You have a spider. If the child doesn't like the idea of eating the spider, which some don't, they can eat it all individually. Obviously if a child is allergic you can substitute it with something else, but I'm not sure what? I know there is butter that looks and taste similar to peanut butter that can be bought.

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 4, 2006

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Oct 4, 2006

This is from Book Cooks through Creative Teaching Press (great picture recipes)...

Ingredients:

- large marshmallows
    - M&Ms or similar candies
    - chocolate chips
    - string licorice (I think we used Twizzler Pull and Peel because we couldn't find the normal string)

Directions:
    - Poke 8 pieces of 2 inch string licorice into each marshmallow for legs
    - Melt the chocolate chips over low heat (we set the microwave on fire--oops)
    - Set the marshmallow spider on waxed paper; dribble a large spoonful of melted chocolate over the marshmallow
    - Add 2 M&Ms for eyes
    - Let cool and eat

My students loved them.

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

I have looked for the shoestring licorice on many other occasions and can't find it anywhere. Do they still make it??

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Oct 4, 2006

I think they do still make it but the stores that carry it vary. I know I have seen it recently in some of the larger grocery chains here in New York, but when we did this recipe, I was in Virginia and shopping with my students in a smaller chain and couldn't find it.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

I think if I ever come across it, I will buy lots just to have it on hand.

10. musicteach

musicteach Companion

11. map

map Companion

Oct 4, 2006

I used chocolate donuts for the body, pretzel sticks for the legs, red hots for the eyes (glued them on with frosting). Quick and easy.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 5, 2006

Thanks everyone!

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 5, 2006

OK, someone brought "spiders" to choir tonight... mini pigs-in-a-blanket with chow mein noodles or those shoestring-fries-chips for legs. She drizzled ketchup and mustard on the top, and she made a dip with ranch dressing, then squirted ketchup on top to make a web-shape. They were really cute, and kids would LOVE them!

14. asiltropwen

asiltropwen Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

the twizzlers pull and peel work great

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 6, 2006

clairnet73: that sounds cute, I saw tatter tots done up like that too. but you've gotta bee one spirited mom to make that for a bunch of kids ((I've got 4 of my own).... but maybe just turn one or two into a spider putting the web in the middle. I'm making cupcakes today with webs. I'm not sure I have anything to turn into spiders, the picture showed M&M (with nuts) and another showed a gumdrop.

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 21, 2006

We made the spider snack this week. The kids loved them![​IMG]

17. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Oct 24, 2006

Spider Soup - How about some spider soup? Take a large industrial size can of chicken noodle soup ahead of time and remove the label. Cover the can with paper and write "Spider Soup" on the outside.

Take two packages of oriental noodles and after crushing them, put them in a paper sack. Write "spider webs" on the sack. Ask the children if they've ever eaten spider soup before.

Show them the can, open it, and pour it into a crock pot or other large pot. (Add water according to directions on the can.) Next explain that you're going to add spider webs, and dump in the noodles.

Heat until warm and serve to the children in Styrofoam cups. (You'll enjoy the children's conversations and comments as they eat the spider soup!)