Spending $$$$

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Weazy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

The new Teacher's Discovery Catalogue came today.and I'm in trouble!! I was going to order from the Spring issue, but the Fall issue has NEW posters in it that will work great in my room, and there are some great language arts books too. My order was orginally going to be $45, but now I'm looking at something like $100. :eek: I do not get reimbursed for anything either. I do keep my receipts, but that's it. I love to change things in my room but can't afford to do much, and when I find something for a high school room I get sooo excited. I wish my husband did too! :p

Anybody else get in this predicament? (sp?) I love Teacher's Discovery, especially for high school.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Well, thanks a lot! Now I'm down $89.75! :p

But I got two posters, two videos, an English trivia game that will be a great sponge activity, and the William Shakespeare action figure I've been wanting for a while...

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

Oh No!! I hate whenthe new catalogs come out for the fall! They always have something I have to have!!! :)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Oh, Teachers Discovery, how do you drain my checking account, let me count the ways!

I've got a few pages marked ... to spend, or not to spend.

6. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 8, 2008

I sat with the teacher catalog today and made my wish list.. 300 and not even halfway done. :( Oh, I wish I had a rich husband.... ha!

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

Can someone post a link? Thanks!:D

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

9. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

This is exactly the kind of thing that I love about teachers. How many careers out there make people go wild with joy about spending a hundred of their own dollars on supplies for their job?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Teachers are a strange bunch!

(And I love it!)

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

That is exactly what I do! I mark the pages, add everything up and then I mull it over for a little while. I already ordered some bookmarks from Highsmith.com (they have hundreds to choose from). With s&h they were a little more than I wanted to spend ($14 for 200) but I love what they say about reading, so I HAD to have them. I will have the librarian laminate them and pass them out with the reading project. Anyway, when it comes to TD, I have to decide what I want to buy right away and what I can put off until later.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Hahahahha-this is what my husband says about real estate magazines around here. He use to bring them back to Michigan after visiting his parents and pour over them all night.

I have a notebook that I keep all my 'wants' in. I cut things out of the catalogues, glue them in the notebooks, and then come back to it a few weeks later. Most of the time, I don't want it anymore. Funny how that works.

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

That's how I shop...I put the item in my cart and walk around with it for a little while. Eventually, I can talk myself out of it; not so easy when it comes to stuff for my classroom.