Spending waaaay too much money on school stuff.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2013

I've spent over $300 (probably more than that) in the last two weeks on school stuff. DANG YOU, REALLY GOOD STUFF CATALOG!!! And IKEA!! And WALMART!!!

I've bought everything from a $99 set of picture book bins for my classroom library to .25 boxes of crayons.

And I'm going to Target tonight. :eek: I need an intervention!

Anyone else going hog wild with spending lately? What have you been buying?

3. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

I haven't started my spending yet this year. My school gives us $200 to spend & other than books for my library, I'm hoping everything I need can be covered with that.

I will say that last year, as it was my first year, I spent a small fortune on things. Luckily, they all held up & I don't need to repurchase anything, so I consider it money well spent!

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2013

My total for the month of July so far is $448.41. Way. Too. Much. But I'd rather spend the money and have what I need than feel disorganized and have a chaotic environment in which to work.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Save your receipts for tax time! :lol:

6. mairak

mairak Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

wait.. I am lost! so for classroom stuff we use our own money? School doesn't give us anything?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Depends on the district...it varies from $0 to very generous allotments. If you are new to your district, mairak, you will want to go in your classroom, see what's there and ask if there's $$ for additional needed items.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2013

I'm trying to avoid purchasing anything more than is absolutely necessary this year (I've got a wedding in the future). I also will be moving several hundred miles away next summer, so that is definitely helping me curb my impulses to buy anything! It is also making me use up my stockpile of extra supplies this year, so I am buying very few new ones. So far, I've spent about $4 at Staples, and half of that was for a roll of packing tape that I know I'll need at the end of the year!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

What I really need are books and baskets. I will be ordering some books early in the school year through Scholastic. The baskets will be easy to find.

10. mairak

mairak Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

ohh. lol I am new to everything! I am currently studying for my TEXES exam and hope to get a job once I pass. :)

11. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

Thanks to foot surgery I haven't spent a penny because I can't walk long enough to shop. Well, I also can't drive, so that is part of the problem, too!

Last year We were give a ten dollar gift card to Dollar Tree. We used to get a hundred dollars every year. The gift card is nice, but they didn't give it to us til November.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

I spent a little of my own money at Michaels and B&N this week just because I had coupons and didn't really spend too much. I don't mind buying things here and there and my school does give money to us every year. I just don't like when schools or parents expect us to spend our own money.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

I've really been good about spending money only on things for me and my personal use. I just bought a fancy new office chair because my old one was getting squeaky and wobbly (and I don't like the teacher chairs at my school). I also bought some fun clicky pens for myself. I won't be purchasing supplies for students this year.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 29, 2013

I'm trying to hold off to see what's already in the room...the problem is my new district starts much later than all of the others around here. Other districts have teachers going back next week and we won't be back until the last week of August. I don't want to buy stuff I won't need but I'm afraid everything will be gone by the time I figure out I need it!

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

I haven't spent a dime because I don't have dimes to spend :lol: This is the first year I've gone without a summer paycheck because my district only offers 10-month pay. I have had to turn a blind eye to all the school sales and anything that isn't free on TPT.

Sure, there's things I need, but aside from cheap thrills like name plates and BB border, I can't see myself spending any money this year. I remind myself that my kids will be fine!

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2013

:eek: That's almost worse than getting nothing!! Seriously?

I usually get a whopping $50 per year for classroom spending. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you can only claim up to $250 on taxes.

I always spend money on my classroom every year. I get a lot of kiddos that don't have school supplies so I help out. I have book baskets already but they're too small for picture books and are very hard for my kiddos to use.

I probably spent hundreds my first year of teaching jr. high special needs life skills. You basically make your own curriculum up. Nothing is provided but general ed cast offs that those kiddos can't use anyway. There were no materials. Then I went to elementary self contained special ed and there were lots of materials - - so I took a spending break for two years. But now I'm back to spending now that I know what I'm doing and what I wish I had. :whistle:

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 29, 2013

I spent $29 in Mardel for bb stuff, chart topper, & a 180 day literacy book. All had between 20% - 40% discount. I also purchased dry erase markers at Big Lots for a total of $5.

Now I did find this luggage Ill use to carry electronics, clothes and misc stuff for the class for $71.

[​IMG]

I wanted something that I could easy wheeled and fit pretty much what I will normally take everyday. It fit so well with my theme and the cost was so good compare to others I've seen. I couldn't resist. :p

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2013

I'm a spender. The way I look at it, I have to spend every day there and I want a pleasing environment. I adore books and love having a huge classroom library. I like organization. I've purchased so much over the past decade and a half. It makes my teaching life easier. I don't go into debt over it.

This is my second year out of the classroom so my spending has changed, but I'm still spending!

19. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

These days, I only spend my own money on "extras" that are just for me. Like Caesar, I bought a comfy desk chair this year. I had my eye on one for a few years now, and I had a great coupon.

Or, if it's something that's just a dollar or two, I'll just pick it up without asking for a reimbursement. That can add up though, so I stay mindful of how much I'm spending. I purchase the vast majority of school supplies that I buy for student use with the instructional money from my school.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 29, 2013

Start saving a little bit if you can. Even if your district gives you some money to spend, it won't be enough to completely take care of your needs, plus anything the school buys, you must leave behind. There are things you would want if you moved districts, schools, or grade levels.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2013

Wrong. You can claim more if (1) the $$ were spent on items strictly for use in your job as teacher, (2) you itemize, and (3) you keep the receipts. Beyond the $250 teacher credit, there is an itemized deduction entitled "unreimbursed employee expenses" (or something like that). I have verified this with both a tax CPA (friend of the family) and the IRS. Above and beyond the $250 credit, I have claimed this deduction for the past 5 years.

22. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 29, 2013

My district gave us $100 this year - yay! I spent half of it on boxes for my new supply organization idea, about $15 on folders for kids that I want them to have but that aren't added to the supply list, a three-drawer plastic thingy for an idea I saw on Pinterest, extra supplies, and office supplies for me since we're not provided any. Oh, wait, we get a box of cheap Staples pens at the beginning of the year, lol. I spent about $75 at Mardels on resource books, about $40 at Really Good Stuff, and about $30 on my new reading corner.

Throughout the year, I spend money on pens and various office supply items. Last year, my partner teacher and I did gift bags for Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day. I'm not doing it this year. She can, but I refuse. :blush: I'm not doing parties this year, either. I guess I'll just be a fun-ruiner all the way around. :rolleyes:

Beth

23. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 29, 2013

I give homework passes for halloween, Valentine's Day, Christmas, etc. My kids love them as much as anything else. As far as parties go, we ask for about $4 and will order pizza and then ask a parent to bring drinks. Any student who wants to bring treats may. The one thing I end up paying for is Mother's Day. Some of the other teachers will ask the kids to bring $.50, but I don't like to ask Moms to give money for their own gift.

I do spend quite a bit at the beginning of each year. I am all about making my life easier, so if spending some money helps make my year go smoother, or my room a little cheerier, then I don't mind.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

I have gone very crazy this summer...I don't even want to know how much I have spent. I am a bit obsessed with setting up my classroom this year. Probably because I'm getting married, and my money will soon become "our money," so I'm going a little spend-crazy!

Today I spent $120 at Target.com on baskets. Last Night I spent $30 on Amazon. When I get paid tomorrow I have a $55 Oriental Trading order waiting for me.

I have so much fun setting up my room, though. I smile every time I walk in. :)

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

You and I think alike. :thumb:

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2013

I want my classroom to be a warm and inviting, safe place to be. Many of my kids don't have nice places in their lives. I want our room to be somewhere they WANT to be - and me, too!

27. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2013

I'm being careful this year. I worked summer school and I'm going to class in the fall and I really don't want to blow all my summer school money on stuff for the classroom.

With that said there really isn't that much I feel like I need or want like in previous years. But I haven't been to Lakeshore yet- so I'll probably spend a little bit there. My new co-teacher has lots of stuff too that we're combining all together so it really cuts down on what I need/how much I spend. When we go to Lakeshore we'll go together and just split it. It's great!

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

This exactly.

I've spent a lot this year. I'm going to be in a brand new classroom in a brand new school. I'm also only going in to my second year of teaching, so I'm building up my resource collection haha. I'm not done, either - I know I'll need more once I've been in the classroom. It's not done yet, so I still haven't seen it.

I've bought from Really Good Stuff, Lakeshore, Target, Walmart, Amazon, a trophy company (lol), and the American Library Association (Pete the cat and Elephant and Piggie posters).

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

I want my classroom to feel nice, too. I just don't think that I need to spend a ton of money to do that.

30. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

I don't think that's what pwhatley was implying at all.

I have a few friends who are secondary teachers. I know for a fact that there is a lot more "stuff" in elementary than secondary. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. Much of the stuff I buy wouldn't be needed in secondary. For example, I've spent hundreds of dollars accumulating a large classroom library. That's not really necessary or useful in secondary from what I have seen.

31. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

LOL. I've spent quite a bit so far but I'm a new teacher and had nothing left for me.

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2013

First year back and I am starting from scratch, aside from classroom library books. Apparently I get $500 reimbursed by the PTO in August, which will be VERY helpful. And my principal agreed to reimburse me for bookshelves as there wasn't much storage in the room. The majority of my spending has been organizational baskets from the Dollar Tree and fabric for my boards. I gave the secretary an order to place that included my bulletin board boarders and it was back ordered, so I had to buy those myself as well. Most of my decorative items for my patriotic theme were clearance items after the 4th of July. :)

33. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2013

Hey, I didn't know Jem was back to teaching. Yeah! You were a great contributor to the boards.

34. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 30, 2013

So far all I have brought were folders. My saving grace is Donors Choose. I go up there and see what I need and create a project for it. Otherwise I would be out shopping and spending money that I do not have... So I more or less have a Donors Choose addiction... Last year I had 3 projects funded and so far for the new year I have 1 project funded and I'm working on my 2nd one now.

35. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 30, 2013

Coming from a Montessori environment to a traditional one... Over the year I'm going to strive to give my room a homey feel... not to commercial and I want to minimize distractions. I want a lot of cozy seating so students are not stuck at tables and or desk all day. I have yet to go into my new classroom. I said I would wait until at least August before I start dropping my personal things off to the classroom. I'm nervously excited to see what I have... and what I don't have.

36. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 30, 2013

I don't remember seeing that option on Turbo Tax. But I always save all my receipts so I'll keep an eye out.

I too want a happy room with lots of fun stuff in it and my district is too broke to make it happen so it's up to me. :|

37. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2013

Me either, but I will definitely keep my eyes open for it come this next tax season.

38. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

I was looking into the unreimbursed employee expenses, and the information I found was that you could only claim these things if you spent more than 2% of your pay (ie: if you make 40k, you could only claim if you spent over 800, and even then you can only claim the amount that is above the 800, so if you spent 1000, you could claim 200.)

How did it work for you to get reimbursed every penny? I need to figure out these tax rules better, I don't want to miss out!

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2013

I'm trying not to be spendy. Every year I go out and spends tons of money on supplies, and every year, my kids (well, a majority of them) feel free to treat it like trash. I can't keep on buying supplies for over 100 kids every year (175 this year :eek:). I have some stuff for my ED students, and the school will have some supplies, but I can't keep up what I've been doing the last nine years.

But I did treat myself and bought an electric hole punch with a gift card from a parent. I need to pick up a few more decorations at Party City, some pencils, and I should be good to go. Until I get my supply check in November and blow it all at the book store.

40. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

I also still have supplies that have carried over from previous years of which some I've bought, student extras or freebies from last year's two time visits to world vision.

Things I'm purchasing are minimal like dry erase markers and color markers. Piggy backing on an idea from a link that was posted on another thread I got the idea of creating my own name plates using paint chips(free) and scrapbooking paper of my choice for a total of 3.12 for 60 students.

41. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2013

I never said I get back every penny, lol - but it does keep us from having to pay!

I have to get plastic folders... I think that's about it (I've already spent a ton this summer).