Spending the Holidays

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AMK, Dec 19, 2008.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

Where will you spend the holidays this year?

Christmas Eve is at my aunt and uncles house. I promised them I will be with them this year. I can't break tradition too much even though MOm isn't here with us. My boyfriend will come with me which is nice. Then we are leaving very early on Christmas morning to catch a flight to Key West

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

With my widowed MIL. No traveling involved though, she lives in the same town as us.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

Chistmas morning is with my dad at our house then we drive an hour to my grandparent's house to have Christmas w/ them and my sister and her family. This year the day after Christmas we're going to my dad's house to do Christmas with my brother and his family. And will probably drive down to DH's parents afterwards.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

I'm spending Chistmas Eve at church with one of my teacher assistant's and her family.
    On Christmas Day I am going to one of my co-worker's parents' house for dinner. Her Dad played Santa at our school on Wednesday and I can't wait to tell my students that I had Christmas dinner at Santa's house :D. I know, I know, it's not nice to brag;).

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

Christmas Eve at my mom's. There are 32 of us before we invite anyone who isn't family.

Christmas Day at home. I'm a firm believer that, if possible, kids should be home on Christmas Day.

My mother in law is sleeping over our house from the 24th to the 26th.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

Christmas Eve home with hubby and doggy. Christmas day at Mom's house with 10 people and 3 dogs!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2008

At home this year. My BF is spending Christmas day w/ me. I'd love to be on a trip w/ my mom & aunt or BF to Hawaii or NY, but I guess not.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

I'll be with my Dad for Christmas. My mom passed-away this week, the funeral was today, so it will be a very quiet day. No gifts this year -- we were too busy taking care of Mom to even think about shopping. We didn't decorate (and we aren't going to).. it just doesn't seem much like Christmas this year. I've spent every single Christmas of my life with my parents... it will be so strange for Mom not to be there... but death is a part of life.

I'm sure next year will be better.

10. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Normally: Wake up at my parents, open presents with parents, sisters, grandparents, SO... 12 go to grandparents house (they live next door) open presents with aunts uncles cousins second cousins parents grandparents sisters SO... go back home... set table... 5ish have dinner with people who were at grandparents house. This drinks and pie with parents and cousins... maybe a movie...

This year: SO and I opening presents that my parents have already mailed/given, whenever we get up... eating pancakes or cinnamon rolls... playing video games... ordering pizza... going to the movies
    We have a job change, me finishing school, and 1/2 our normal income this year. My parents visited last weekend, his dad will visit this weekend, but for the actual holidays it will just be us. Very different from my normal hectic holiday but... I'm satisfied.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Home with my hubby and my DD, who will be coming home from college on Tuesday. My best friend is flying in later in the day, so we'll probably have dinner after she arrives instead of having a mid-day meal. I'm so looking forward to a peaceful holiday!

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

Rain, I am so sorry. I have been thinking of you but I hadn't gotten around to sending u a PM. Please take care

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

Ah, Rain, I'm so sorry. And you're right; this year your goal is just to get through the holidays. Next year will be better, for you and your dad.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

How tragic and I'm so, so sorry. We've lost several family members over the years and it's just not the same.

But... it does make you hold on to each other a little tighter & appreciating each other more.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

Rainstorm, I am so sorry. I will be thinking about you

16. paola66

paola66 Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

Be strong, Rain!
    I'll pass my second Crhistmas with my hausband and dad...mom passed away on 26 September 2007.
    Our moms now are with us in our heart, in our head, in our dreams...
    Love, Paola.

17. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

My condolences to you and your family. My father-in-law died 2 years ago a few weeks before Christmas as well, so I can understand your grief right now. I hope that you all simply enjoy each other this Christmas, as that is truly a gift to be appreciated. God Bless.

18. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

Rainstorm - my thoughts and prayers are with you this holiday season! I'm crying a few tears for you as I type this. I pray you can still have a nice holiday with your dad (your mom would want that- right?) I understand how you are feeling though. I lost my grandfather right before Christmas last year and my grandmother right after Christmas the year before that. Sorry again for the news!

Happy Holidays to my A to Z family!

My Christmas plans- My dad & his wife are here this weekend for Christmas. My husband's side of the family will be at my house Christmas day. I go to Louisiana the day after Christmas to spend a week with my mom and family there.

19. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 20, 2008

We will be all over Eugene, Oregon visiting DH's family.

20. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

Sorry to hear of your loss Rain. You are in my prayers.

I will be spending the Holidays in Jamaica, WI with my immediate and extended family (family reunion).

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2008

When do you leave? Aren't we expected to get another storm, today into tomorrow or something??? (I've been listening to Christmas Carols and haven't heard a forecast since Friday morning.)

Good luck!!

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

So sorry Rain, for your loss. I lost my grandfather around Christmas 5 years ago and it was very hard - I had also spent every Christmas day with him.

This year, like every other year of my life, I will go to my nana's for Christmas Eve with my boyfriend and his mom, most of my cousins, aunts, uncles, parents and sibs. There will be about 35 people there. Then we will go to church at 11pm for Christmas Eve service and my sister will be the acolyte. Then home to bed before Santa! Then Christmas morning, my bf and I are on brunch duty, and then my brother is cooking dinner. That will include the 9 of us, plus my uncle, his GF, and 2 cousins. (always 13 for dinner - lucky my mom lets us sit at the same table!).

23. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

My holidays are the same as always.....
    Christmas Eve-going to my mamaw and papaws to gather will aunts, uncles, cousins...approximately 50 of us. We will eat dinner at 5, begin family pictures at 6:30, open presents at 7:00. We will leave around 9 and go to my brothers house where we will open gifts and spend time with each other.

Christmas Day-lunch/presents at my husbands grandparents, with uncles, cousins, his mom, sister, and some family friends.
    Christmas night we will go to a friends house for finger foods and fun.