Spending Money

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Erin Elizabeth, Jul 10, 2008.

?

How much do you spend out-of-pocket on your class?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2008.
  1. Zero. I only use my school/district supply money.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. $0-$500

26 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. $500-$1000

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. More than $1000

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Well, with all the Vista Print, Staples, and other sales getting lots of AtoZ attention, my curiosity has been piqued.

How much of your own money are you spending on these supplies? I'm talking this summer plus throughout the rest of this upcoming school year.

Personally, I am trying to cut down on my out-of-pocket spending for my class. I get a generous supply allowance plus lottery money every year that is adequate for most of what I need. I'll still buy things for my class throughout the year with my own money. But I'm trying not to go overboard this summer, and if I do buy something, I am trying to make sure it has a purpose and I'm not just buying it because it's cute!

Don't forget to save your receipts for tax time!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I spend very little of my own money for school supplies. If I spend 25.00 that is alot. Most of that goes towards Christmas gifts for parents and Mother's Day gifts. I spent a total of 6.00 so far on actual class supplies, some baskets, a poster, and a big $1.62 at Staples. I too, get a very generous school budget. I actually have about $450 left and have no idea how to spend it. I may go hunting next weekend when my hometown has it's annual town wide garage sale. Over 200 homes are involved and believe me, you can find anything and everything cheap!

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

This year, I've cut back. Except there are many big ticket items on my list this year.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Do you mind me inquiring what is your generous budget and what are you expected to purchase with it?:thanks:

6. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Dang. I get $35 from my school to order from a company they use and about $100 from my state, but that is it. As a first year teacher, I am looking to spend $200-$300 out of my own pocket for everything I think will make my classroom run smoothly. Compared to what people around me are spending, I think I've got a pretty good budget. It's just me and the hubs, so spending my own money isn't really an issue.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I buy no textbooks or with the money. That comes directly from the district. If I need a piece of furniture over $100 or a rug I write it up on a purchase order and if the district feels it is something I need to have they purchase it for me. I buy no computer supplies with my budgeted money. There is a separate Tech fund for that. There is a general bid sheet for pencils, markers, scissors, colored paper, erasers, etc. so I just mark what I want (within reason) and it comes from the General Classroom Fund. The same applies to art supplies. So what do I spend my $650 on? A boxed set of Biographies from Scholastic, a new hanging math meeting board with all necessary components, 3 pre-made centers, some awards, stickers. I also got a subscription to Weekly Reader.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

We don't get any money to spend on our classroom. If we want to order something we write it up and turn it into our administrator who 9 times out of 10 will say we don't have the money for it. I wanted to attend an early childhood workshop this summer and she said there was no money. Last year I asked for sentence strips and the office told me where the local teacher supply store was. I even have to buy staples or paper clips.

I spend a lot on books for the classroom and I do literacy bags each year that I make. I'm really trying to curb the shopping this summer though, I don't even have anywhere to put all the stuff anymore. After Target's Dollar Spot and a new teacher store I discovered (it was called Teacher Heaven and it really was...it was a warehouse-size store-they had probably over 500 different borders alone to choose from - it's just piling up.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I've only spent about $20, and I don't think I'll really spend that much more. At this point in my career, I'm pretty much just picking up a few things at the penny sales . . . who can pass up 8 packs of pencils for a penny?!?

Anything major that I need I ask for from the school. I've never been given a budget, but I just ask and I usually get it. Of course, I never ask for anything extravagant either. I also tend to do a few "extras" that earn me money, too, like being in the school book study group or getting a grant.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Last year, in September, the PTA gave us all a $100 gift card to Staples as a back to school gift. I saved mine...as a preschool teacher, I need more supplies from Michael's than from Staples. Anyway, all of the Staples penny sale stuff is covered with that. Most of the rest of it comes out of my pocket. But, you know what...if spending a hundred (or two) bucks in August makes my life easier or more fun for the next 10 months, well, it's so worth it!
    Kim

11. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I did not spend too much last year, I bought at sales and etc. My school did not give me any $$, but my classroom had quite a bit of supplies. I did buy things, like Xmas, and I gave a couple of parties. I also did Fun Friday, I had maybe 10 donations throughout the year, the rest I did. I bought ice cream or cookies, etc. I had a CRCT party after it was over, and I bought wings for my class and my sons. I gave almost every time, I bought to my son's class, he was right next door.

I really felt I needed to motivate some students. It did help.

This year, I get a budget, but we are a new school, so I expect to spend. I also bought idea books, last year. This year my focus is on my library and storage items ....library bins and maybe teaching games.

I have 3 boys and a DH....my husband has not found his ideal career, yet. So when I spend it is hard on us, but after watching my Mother for years buy stuff for "her kids", I know it is part of the job.
    I hope I get more in the way of donations but if I have to I will spend it, to make my own life easier and my performance better.

I am sure my opinion will change as I continue on in the profession.

Oh yea, I also got some great items from a Non-Profit place, that was the BEST help!

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

For some reason I don't mind spending money on my class. I know I've spent a lot this year. There's always something I want for my class. I just saw two books I want yesterday, but didn't buy them. I'm broke until pay day :(.

13. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I just hope I don't spend more than 500 on my kids. I do spend a lot becaus I feel like my kids deserve it - most don't get it at home so I feel I need to - It is just me right now so that will change later on down the road:)

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2008

I've spent a lot this summer. I try to rationalize this by reminding myself that I'm a first year teacher :)

15. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I'm going into my 3rd year teaching so I'm collecting more things each year...
    I think I'll probably spend about 300 overall throughout the entire year. The PTA will also reimburse use 100.

The school provides us w/ basic office supplies/art supplies.
    Each grade level is given about 500 dollars to spend on anything else we need...we must order from the office depot catalogs or the school supply list they give us though. I was in charge of the ordering and I ordered electric pencil sharpeners...recess equipment..sharpies...easel paper w/ the sticky back on it...a label maker..and a few other random things.

16. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I'm a spender! I moved to a new school last year and wanted to update a lot of the materials I had. I spent about $500, not wanting to do too much my first year there ;). This summer I've already spent about $750. I bought A LOT of organizational things, books, and books on tape. In my defense :), I worked on summer a project through school and was paid almost $800 for it. Sooooo, technically speaking, I guess I haven't spent any of my own money... yet.

17. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I work in a school where we get $225 a year for supplies, but they must be ordered through 1 catalogue. This does get me a lot, but not quite enough. We don't get any books, etc. As a first grade teacher, there are no textbooks except for math. So when I teach science, ss, etc... I must buy every book, manipulative, etc. that I need. Same goes for literacy- we don't have a basal reader, so I need to buy every book I use. I don't mind spending the money, I tell myself it is an investment haha. Every year I spend around 500 over the summer...and then 100 or so more during the year (I would venture it is more like 200 during the year...but who knows hehe)

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

I watch every penny I spend, whether it's for school or at home. My husband's job is unstable & there are times that we just hope that he continues to have a job. Our goal is for us to be able to make it on my salary plus about 1/2 of what my husband currently makes, which isn't a whole lot. We've got 2 kids to put through college & my grad school loans to pay off.

Having said that I still buy for the classroom, it's the extra things that I buy: oreos, for the oreo project, pumpkins, postage & post cards, Mother's day, Christmas presents, border for the bulletin boards, calendar pieces, the overdue book fines from the library. etc.