Spending large amounts of money

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 26, 2010

Besides your house and car, what's the most expensive thing you purchased?

Mine was a trip to Italy 10 years ago, I think I spent $2,600. But I hate spending huge amounts of money, I literally got sick to my stomach when I bought my computer and signed my car loan!

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

Probably my Master's degree, if that counts!

I hate spending money too. But my husband LOVES spending money.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 26, 2010

It's not that I hate spending money, but just big amounts...it's the little things that eat up my bank account, and I know it!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2010

Besides the house and car, we spent a lot of money on our new washer/dryer and our fridge.

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

All the stuff for inside and outside my new home ....paint, decorations, appliances, furniture ......:eek: And Im I say frugral ...my family calls me cheap....but I have spent a good chunck oh $ lately on good quality things for my home!

Next BIG purchase will probably be a POOL!!! Its way to hot here not to have one!!!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 26, 2010

I try to be pretty frugal but my husband likes to spend large amounts of money on different tools to use around the house.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

It makes me sick to my stomach to spend lots of money!!

I just spent nearly $1,000 on my dining room furniture and several hundred more on a couch. NO MORE beyond that! I don't have expensive electronics or anything, so it feels like a lot of money to me.

My GF says I am cheap, and I know I am! It pains me to spend a lot, but I also see the value in getting something of quality vs. something inexpensive that could fall apart.

9. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

Probably my laptop. I spent almost $1000 and my cousin gave me a huge discount.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

Well, it wasn't all at once, but raising kids is very expensive - but worth every penny!

Right now we are talking to two builders in the process of having a gazebo built in our backyard. We only have estimates, but think on these lines - a very nice car!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2010

Probably a couple of years ago when I bought all of my furniture (bedroom set, dining room set, love-seat and recliner) at once when I moved. I think it was somewhere between $2000 and $2500.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2010

I don't hate spending lg amts of money. That's what part of life's about. We work to make money so we can afford (nice) things & hopefully have a content & fulfilling life.

For me, I'd say:

- my 2012 summer Olympics trip that I'm paying on now
    - my dog ($1300, he's a purebreed that I got from a breeder)
    - my Dell computer
    - my Mexican Riviera cruise a few summers ago
    - an internet business I used to have
    - grad degree tuition

In the future when I can afford it, I'd love to go on a shopping spree once in a blue moon where I spend $1000 at once on clothes, shoes, bags, or whatever fits my fancy!
    Also, when I get my own place, I can't wait to furnish & decorate it! That will be so much fun.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

I just paid almost $600 yesterday to pay off the balance of our two computers on our Best Buy card. But I liked spending that money because it means my card is paid off! It helped that I got paid extra this check for the reading program I taught after school.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

Our last "big" purchases:

Starting with the most recent....
    MBA and MaEd. degrees
    couch
    our car
    washer and dryer
    water heater
    a western caribean cruise (although I will say this was cheaper than any of the before mentioned things...and way more fun)

I am looking forward to the day we can say the last "big" amount of money we spent was on a vacation. I want to go to Italy!!!

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2010

Does remodeling your house count? We've redone the kitchen, the bathroom, had hardwood floors installed, and a new roof and fiber-cement siding. All total, about 100k worth of work.

For which we currently owe zero.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

I felt sick after ordering dh's Macbook Pro for his birthday-over 2k! He loves it, and I'm over it, but yeesh. I also got him a LOT of clothes, and was shaking at each store when I checked out. I'm like that when I shop at Anthropologie, too. Love, love, love their clothes, but do NOT like running the card through the machine-it's regularly $100-$400 a trip...

We just got a new couch, and I didn't feel bad about that money at all. Maybe because I let dh actually run the card... We have zero debt and live within our means, but it's still a little scary to spend large amounts! I'm on a spending freeze this summer, though, because dh didn't realize I wasn't getting a paycheck over the summer months. Boo.

17. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 26, 2010

A dining room table for the formal dining room (bought it a month ago). Throughout our years of marriage I've either had:

*no table in the formal dining room
    *a hand-me-down table (which constantly required me to be creative to make it look okay...chair slip covers, table runners, etc.) because, on its own, it was..............ummm, you get the point.

So, I am sooo excited about the new table. Its beautiful and the kids are finally old enough to not stress me out about having a nice piece of furniture (ages 9-21).

I always stress before a major purchase but not afterward. I figure its done and I just set aside lump sums of money to pay it off quickly. I love the zero interest plans that require me to pay it off within 12 mos or so. Always motivates me to actually pay it off and hubby and I live pretty debt free that way.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

I would say my trip on Spring Break. Spending large amounts of money makes me sick, even though I can afford things. I'd rather be frugal.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2010

Spending a huge amount of money traumatizes me. I can't think of any huge expenses within the last few years. Little things of between $100 to $200 are killing the budget.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2010

I just spent $1700 on a dining room table and 4 chairs. I couldn't let myself spend $380 on the other 2 chairs.

I've had my towels for over 7 years and am planning on buying some new ones for my new house. I also need to buy a lawnmower, hose, 2 night stands, a dresser, a coffee table, and 2 end tables. All of this should be another $2000 that I will hate spending... I would accept hand-me-downs but I don't have any family nearby and the only people I know in my city are those that I work with.

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

Are we talking straight up paying for it, or getting a loan to buy something big?
    Straight up:
    washer, dryer, stove, refridgerator
    wood burning stove
    various home improvements

Loans:
    motorcycle
    16' foot boat
    We have sold the motorcycle to get an ATV (needed on our acreage), and sold the boat (paid for) to get the wood burner.

22. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

I haven't really spent a large amount of money on anything recently. I don't have the money to spend. But…

- I bought BF and I a new 2 seat leather couch when we first moved into our apartment (2 yrs. ago)
    &
    - My car (which was almost 6 yrs. ago now) but I paid for it in full

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

It doesn't pain me to spend large amounts of money, but then again I can't think of many things that we have spent large amounts of money on. We have the house, a new car we bought last summer which we paid off a couple months ago, our multiple college degrees, furniture and such, lawn mower, and electronics. So it's not like I'm dropping 2Gs on new wardrobes each season and diamonds by the yard...we're pretty practical. But I suppose it's what you value...

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

I wouldn't say "purchased."

But adopting Brian 12 years ago cost about $18,000. (I just checked; now it's closer to $30,000)

And I've never in my lfe been so happy to part with money!!!

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

Our biggest purchases have been houses and college educations (graduate degrees for both dh and myself, undergrad for sons) No regrets on any of these!! I consider them all investments.

26. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

We spend our money on toys. Our boat... we bought a Ranger Reatta that is A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!!! It was a lot of money but for all of the hours of fun and enjoyment that we, as a family, have on it, it's worth it! We also have two snowmobiles- one newer '09and a '02. Other than that purchase, our living room furniture would have to be the next "big thing"... leather couch & 2 chairs as well as side tables.

27. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

We spent a good five grand on adding heat, and an entire full bath upstairs in our house last year. It was hard taking that money out, but we're loving our big bathroom with a newborn now. We've also done a couple 1,000 purchases from Lowes, for things like hardwood, windows, ceiling fans, etc...

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

Moving from GA to ND was really expensive.

So was buying new living room furniture.

Now, I need to replace the boys' bedroom furniture, but it will have to wait. I don't use credit cards...heck, I won't even take out a loan for a car (always save and buy cash). The bedroom sets I want will cost about $1800 for all three boys.

29. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

Besides the house, redecorating & upgrading it, our cars, and schooling? We spent $8000 on our dog's hip surgeries a few years and $16,000 on a round of IVF a couple months ago.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

Since April, I have had to spend about $32,000 on medical bills and about $2500 on legal fees, and $3500 on car repairs. No, this is not a typo or a nightmare. Unfortunately, it is real life.

31. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

Tractor - $26,000, but it has kept its value far better than my

Gooseneck trailer - $8,000

74 acres of farmland - $59,200

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Oh, Daisy, I'm so very sorry.

Is there an end in sight to any of it?

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2010

After our house, we paid about $3500 for an outbuilding.

About $4000 went into my daughter's mouth...or should I say was taken out of her mouth and replaced with silver...this is the only thing we paid payments on. Weird I know, but we have a very low interest health care credit card, and it wasn't something we had time to save for. It needed to be done asap, so we had to finance. Luckily the interest was only about 2.5%.

$12000 for our tractor.

Our boat cost us $14000, but we bought from my sister and was once again something that had to be paid for right away (they were buying new and wanted to sell it asap), so we paid them half down and paid the rest over the next 6 months. As family, they were ok with that and didn't charge us interest! :)

We just bought a new camper in March, but we traded our old one and paid about $8000 for it. We were planning on that one.

And every year, we pay about $1000 for our leased campsite at the lake. It's a lot for a few months' entertainment, but well worth it to our family. It's all we do for fun, so that's how we justify it.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks, Alice. Yes, there is an end in sight, thankfully. Both my adult children need to get jobs, though, I can tell you that.

35. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

My wedding..... granted, it will all be be done for around 7,000 but still...it's a lot of money!

2500 for a new engine in my car
    500 for new brakes