spend $500 in a moderate classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mrsnoble116, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I have 1st grade and have a chance to apply for a $500 grant. This is my first year as having moderate students. I've only had kids with mild exceptionalities.

So what would you purchase with $500?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

What do you already have?

I'd probably get literacy materials. Or an iPad.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

I would probably spend it on organizational stuff. That's what I've always found lacking in resource rooms (no cubbies/mail boxes, appropriate shelving, etc.) However, here "moderate needs" is the highest functioning level of disability (no "mild" category), so you may be talking about a different type of classroom than I am. Our next level is cognitive needs and those students usually need some sort of adaptive equipment, which I'm sure is expensive.

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

I have an iPad already. I'm talking about kids with cognitive needs. But I do have a mixed classroom, with kids labeled LD.

I do have some literacy materials. I already wrote the grant because I had to mail it so it can get to the address by Monday.

I asked for subscription to raz-kids, learninga-z, ixl. Then some printer ink, velcro, and some sensory materials. I'm still on the search for more in case another grant opportunity comes my way.