spelling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 19, 2009

Do you use a spelling curriculum? Our language arts curriculum comes with a spellinge part but it is basically useless. The words are too easy and I would like to focus less on memorization and more on learning a rule or pattern. The words in our curriculum are designed to match up with the basal reader that I don't use that much anyway. I prefer to do small literature circles with trade books.

I was wondering if there is a spelling resource that someone would recommend. I wound up making up a lot of my own lists last year and I found it hard to figure out what words were best and time consuming.

I'll be teaching second grade next year if that helps.

3. laura22

laura22 Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

Hello! I don't actually have my own classroom yet, so take this how you will, but in my edreading class this summer, our textbook is by Patricia Cunningham and we just watched a video of her going through some of her word study examples...fabulous. I plan on trying these things in my own classroom, and she has phonics and other teacher books for specific grade levels. I would definitely suggest you check that out if you haven't already.

4. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 19, 2009

I have a list of 2nd grade word wall words that is provided by the district. We pick 5 words from the list, 5 family words, and 5 enrichment words. The kiddos take a pre-test on Monday and the first 5 words that they get wrong are their words for Friday.

They have a spelling contract that they complete each night for homework. I also have a spelling center...whiteboard, stamps, etc. for them to practice.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

This year we will use Spelling Power. You do a pretest that helps you place the child. Each day the child is tested on a set of words. The words missed are the ones practiced, then retested the next day. You also get a new set of words each day. The thought is that time isn't wasted on words the child can already spell.