Spelling?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by kcjo13, Aug 21, 2007.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 21, 2007

Do you all teach spelling explicitly? And if so, what program or method do you use? My school uses Spalding for phonics instruction in lower grades, but upper grades are basically on our own. I have used aspects of Spalding II, but my students never seem to respond well, and usually the fifth grade teacher gets through all of the lists anyway. I would like to teach Greek and Latin roots, but I was curious if anyone had experience with this, or what works well with sixth graders.

kcjo

3. rockets24

rockets24 Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I have a spelling curriculum that correlates with my reading, but I pull away from it at times and work on commonly misspelled words. We work on tricks to help with tricky spellings or homophones. I hand out a the basic 500 high frequency words + spelling demons (tricky common words). It is a nice way to target words being misspelled in writing.

4. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

we use Rebecca Sitton - I think there are some great strategies, games and activities in her word study units.

5. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

Do you have a copy of the 500 words? I've been looking for one that is appropriate for 6th grade.

6. rockets24

rockets24 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Yes, I do (at school). I believe this is the one I pulled from my Fountas/Pinnell book. I will try to send it to you when I go in to my room.

7. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Rockets, that's exactly how I do it too. I often use words from our science units, pull from novel study, use commonly misspelled words, etc. I also have 5 levels for spelling as well, A<B<C<D<E. Starting at A for basic dolch words and E for about a Grade 8-9 level or whatever is needed. I place students in a level after an evaluation of where they are at, and throughout the weeks if they are showing good progress I bump them up, and if they are stuggling I bump them down. As for finding more words I grab old spelling programs at various levels etc., and make a years worth of all the levels. The students then run the spelling program themselves, charting progress and monitoring each others struggles and successes.

I've always been a teacher to keep a lot of older books, and swoop in on them at every chance! Also, I know that I found a lot online as well.

8. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Thank you! I would really appreciate that. :)

9. Mr. Scooter2

Mr. Scooter2 New Member

Sep 5, 2008

Would it be possible to get a copy also? I am new to LA, (Math is my bag). I think they thought I would retire before teaching LArts!
    Thanks
    Mr. Scooter2

10. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Our spelling books haven't even come in yet, but we are gonna be using Wordly Wise. They have a web site where you can access the lists. I think it's wordlywise3000 dot com