Spelling

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by HufflePuff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

Every year I say I am going to change how I teach spelling and it never happens...I end up using the spelling book and giving a test every Friday. I hate it! How do you all teach and grade spelling?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 18, 2012

You could use a menu so that students choose how they learn spelling through different activities. You could do it based on points or use a tic tac toe board like I did during student teaching. This way you could set it up so they can't do three easy things.

4. hornetteacher

hornetteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2012

Last year, I tried a spelling contract. They had all week to do two of the five activities I had listed. They included things like: write words 3X each, abc order, pages from workbook, spelling pyramids, etc. Most of my kids liked it, but I always had a few who hadn't finished their 2 assignments in five days. It was so frustrating I went back to my old way: they had a specific assignment for the morning and had to have it done before they could go to noon recess.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2012

I use Words Their Way....4 or 5 spelling groups of kids in my room. They sort their words with their groups every day...a different way of sorting each day. Homework is a choice board. Tests on Friday.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

We focus on vocabulary, and offer extra credit if they can spell them correctly on their weekly vocab test. Studies show that kids don't learn to spell by using weekly words. We pulled information and presented it to our P. She allowed us to stop using spelling :)

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 20, 2012

We are required to do the spelling that goes with our reading series, so we have a spelling test every Friday. I have used a "nifty 50" idea for homework/study of words. Each week, the students have their choice of spelling activities that they can do, as long as they have 50 points by the end of the week. For example, they may do sentences for 20 points, or ABC order for 10. Creating a story using words may be 30 points. So, the student may do only sentences and a story, but he would have 50 points.
    We also play a game on Thursdays as a review. It is called Sparkle and it is taken from Responsive Classroom. The kids love it!

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 20, 2012

I used Words Their Way in the past and I loved it. It places students at their spelling level, and then you let them do activities to practice their word sorts. When test time comes around, they aren't taking a test on those exact words, but the word sort pattern. This helps to ensure that they understand the pattern and can use it in new words. It takes away the monotony of memorizing words for the test, but not retaining the knowledge or spelling of the words.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

I do a modified version of Words Their Way. I still teach by feature, but I make up my own word lists. Many teachers at my school use the word sorts companion books, and I end up with students who have had the same spelling words for 3 years. Or they have a younger sibling who is at a higher spelling level and the parents don't understand why the older child has easier words. Each week, I teach the concept, they sort the words, I do some sort of vocabulary activity with the words, they apply the spelling skill with unknown words (ie, words not on their list to see if they can transfer the strategy), and test.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

I am modeling my spelling program on Beth Newingham's here. THere's a video link on the page that really explains things. Plus a step by step implementation plan.

11. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 30, 2012

Our principal actually told us to stop focusing on the teaching of spelling during school hours...so I intro the words on Monday in one of three ways. They can rainbow trace the words, make steps with the word, or I have them write the words on grid paper and find the area and perimeter of the blocks each word uses.

Then on Wednesday we might play a quick spelling game of some sort using the words. Then on Friday we have the spelling test. They are expected to mostly learn the words at home. I'd literally be in trouble with my principal if I did much more than this.

PS - quick pinterest-learned tip: If a student is absent on the day of the spelling test, record yourself giving it using your iPad or smartphone. Then they can take the test with headphones on without assistance on Monday.

12. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

Recording is a good idea!!